Zimbabwe 'too violent for poll'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

The opposition says its supporters are being systematically targeted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7389446.stm

Zimbabwe is too violent to hold a presidential run-off, the head of a South African observer mission says.

"We have seen it, there are people in hospital who said they have been tortured," said Kingsley Mamabolo.

The head of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission has reportedly said the run-off could be delayed by up to a year.

No date has been set for the second round between President Robert Mugabe and Morgan Tsvangirai, which should be 21 days after the official results.

These, announced last Friday, said that Mr Tsvangirai gained more votes than Mr Mugabe but not the 50% needed to be declared the winner.

Mr Tsvangirai, however, says the results were fixed and insists that he did pass the 50% threshold.

He has not said whether he would take part in a run-off, citing fraud and alleged state-sponsored violence against his supporters.
Mr Mamabolo did not say who was behind the recent violence but pointed out that both side was accusing the other, so there was no doubt whether it was happening.

"You cannot have the next round taking place in this atmosphere; it will not be helpful," he said.

Up to 40,000 farm-workers and their families have fled their homes because of the violence, a trade union official has said.

"They have been attacked by a group of militias wearing army uniforms," said Gertrude Hambira, General Secretary of the General Agriculture and Plantation Workers Union of Zimbabwe.

"They have been accused of voting for the opposition. Most of them are either on the roadside or sheltering at some farms."

Much of the political violence in recent years has been on white-owned farms but all but 400 of these have been seized by the state and redistributed.

Church leaders in the western Matabeleland province say they have had to stop prayer meetings after some priests were abducted and tortured by ruling party supporters.

Meanwhile, a photographer for the Reuters news agency has been arrested for using a satellite phone, the agency says.

Mr Mamabolo added that South African President Thabo Mbeki had sent a fact-finding mission to Zimbabwe.

Mr Mbeki is the lead mediator in the Zimbabwe crisis, although Mr Tsvangirai has said he wants a replacement.

'Peace and transparency'

Meanwhile, the head of the Pan-African Parliament observer team, Marwick Khumalo, said Zimbabwe Electoral Commission chairman George Chiweshe had told him that the run-off could be delayed by up to a year.
"He told me it was not possible to organise an election within the 21 days required by the constitution," said Mr Khumalo, a Swaziland MP.

"He said the election would be organised within the shortest possible time and this would not be longer than 12 months."

Mr Tsvangirai has called for international observers to be sent to monitor the run-off - a call backed up by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

Western observers were banned from the first round by the Zimbabwe government, which accused them of bias, after they said there had been fraud in previous elections.

African Union head Jean Ping has told the BBC that the continental body would send extra observers to Zimbabwe for the run-off.

He was speaking after meeting President Mugabe, as well as the leaders of Zambia and South Africa.

"The assurances given to me were that the second round would take place in peace and transparency," he said.

If Mr Tsvangirai does not contest the run-off, Mr Mugabe would automatically win.

But MDC Secretary General Tendai Biti says they had other options, without elaborating.
"If Mugabe thinks he's going to get a default presidency, that will be over our dead bodies," Mr Biti said.

Mr Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change says at least 25 of its supporters have been killed since the relatively peaceful first round on 29 March.

It says many hundreds have been forced from their homes in rural areas in a deliberate strategy to stop it campaigning effectively for the run-off.
But police and officials from Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF party have accused the MDC of staging attacks, while accusing the MDC of exaggerating the scale of the violence.

How come all the good presidents and leaders of nations are always assasinated while corrupt idiots like this guy keep getting away with this sort of crap?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
"Me got boy! Boy me got!"
Praxius!!! You have a son? My... when did that happen?
Anyway, Congratulations to you and your wife! My best wishes for the baby boy.
Interesting... how you try to sneak that event by us!! I saw it already yesterday, but didn't think any of it. A hug for you, big boy!!;-):lol:

Alright, Zimbabwe! I figured as much that the election results have been "adjusted" during the weeks it took to release the results. The numbers are too obviously altered. And now Mugabe has time to delay or even scrap the run-off voting.
Shouldn't the US intervene? Mugabe is as much a tyrant as Saddam was. Or is it good to let the country sink into complete chaos first? I know the US Army is stretched thin already, but now we know that Blackwater exists, and they could in no time eliminate Mugabe... if given the order.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Now that Britain stepped back from the mess, the tribes are sorting out the pieces. Folks of European descent just don't have stomach enough for the ways of the land.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"Alright, Zimbabwe! I figured as much that the election results have been "adjusted" during the weeks it took to release the results. The numbers are too obviously altered. And now Mugabe has time to delay or even scrap the run-off voting.
Shouldn't the US intervene? Mugabe is as much a tyrant as Saddam was. Or is it good to let the country sink into complete chaos first? I know the US Army is stretched thin already, but now we know that Blackwater exists, and they could in no time eliminate Mugabe... if given the order.

Why don't you intervene? It was your idea...send your own troops.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
"Me got boy! Boy me got!"
Praxius!!! You have a son? My... when did that happen?

It's a quote from the character that's my Avatar from the 2000 movie The Cell.... great movie, if you're into a trippy silence of the lambs sorta movie.

Anyway, Congratulations to you and your wife! My best wishes for the baby boy.
Interesting... how you try to sneak that event by us!! I saw it already yesterday, but didn't think any of it. A hug for you, big boy!!;-):lol:

lol, yeah you shouldn't have thought more into it, I still don't have a child and I'm not married.... yet. A full explination of my sig is located on my wall.... but perhaps I should change the sig since you're not the first to get confused by it, lol.

Alright, Zimbabwe! I figured as much that the election results have been "adjusted" during the weeks it took to release the results. The numbers are too obviously altered. And now Mugabe has time to delay or even scrap the run-off voting.

Well see there's nothing to gain for the US if they jumped in there, so they won't.... with Iraq, there was oil protected by a frail military they figured would be an easy target.

Technically you're right though.... if Bush was true to his principles as to why the US invaded Iraq to begin with (Remove Saddam and bring Democracy to the country / free its people) then they would have probably been talking up a war long ago.

But they've been pretty quiet as of late and the only things I've seen come out of the White House in regards to this election scam is "We are Troubled by this"

Troubled??

FFS, they went after a passive country based on lies and here's a country that's full of evidence and they're "Troubled?" :-?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Why don't you intervene? It was your idea...send your own troops.

Hmmm... that's actually not a bad idea....

Hey Canada... let's pull our asses out of Afghanistan, NATO's got that all covered anyways and since most in our country can't figured out enough justifications for being there.... let's go here and have our own Saddam trial for this MugFace McGee.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmmm... that's actually not a bad idea....

Hey Canada... let's pull our asses out of Afghanistan, NATO's got that all covered anyways and since most in our country can't figured out enough justifications for being there.... let's go here and have our own Saddam trial for this MugFace McGee.

Ya right!
Then we'd know what bloodthirsty is all about. Dr Livingston I presume?

Woof!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Go right ahead.

But the point was...why the US? Aren't we in enough places? If we were to put troops in don't you think the US would even take more flak for once again butting in?

Loon asks..."Shouldn't the US intervene?"

No...send your own.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
THE United States says the international community should intervene in Zimbabwe to end state-sponsored political violence that has sparked a human rights crisis.
But most of the countries are already helping the US with their wars in Iraq and Afghanistan!!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Go right ahead.

But the point was...why the US? Aren't we in enough places? If we were to put troops in don't you think the US would even take more flak for once again butting in?

Loon asks..."Shouldn't the US intervene?"

No...send your own.

I know, I read it... :p

Honestly I'd be more glad if the US just sucked back into itself and dealt with it's own concerns for a while. Let other nations screw things up and take the flack off you guys for a bit..... then get back into it again if you like.

I think that last few interventions by the US have given the US a bad rep for most of the world. You guys need a vacation so to speak.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
It's a quote from the character that's my Avatar from the 2000 movie The Cell.... great movie, if you're into a trippy silence of the lambs sorta movie.
Praxi, I hardly ever watch a movie. But, I could consult my son, he might have it and could loan it to me.
lol, yeah you shouldn't have thought more into it, I still don't have a child and I'm not married.... yet. A full explanation of my sig is located on my wall.... but perhaps I should change the sig since you're not the first to get confused by it, lol.
Oh, no; leave it! I confess that I was 75% kidding! Shame on me! If it was for real you would make a clear and proud announcement, I'm sure.Wouldn't you?
Well see there's nothing to gain for the US if they jumped in there, so they won't.... with Iraq, there was oil protected by a frail military they figured would be an easy target.
That's it exactly!!! I played a bit irony with my question. ;-)
Technically you're right though.... if Bush was true to his principles as to why the US invaded Iraq to begin with (Remove Saddam and bring Democracy to the country / free its people) then they would have probably been talking up a war long ago.
That was what I wanted to hear. Thanks for explaining it to Eagle, the snapping turtle.

Maybe Amman has to go back there and talk some sense into Mugabe.