Dog meat eaten in Korea

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
A weird but true article on how some nations are different from others. In Korea it is okay to eat dog meat.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080414/hl_afp/healthskoreagastronomydogmeat_080414051045

Seoul dog meat eateries face first hygiene crackdown

Mon Apr 14, 1:10 AM ET

SEOUL (AFP) - Officials in the South Korean capital Seoul said Monday they will launch their first health inspection of illegal dog meat restaurants this month.
if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['El4bdtGDJG8-']='&U=13btv4mdf%2fN%3dEl4bdtGDJG8-%2fC%3d652027.12475122.12887801.6052652%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5314183';
From late April, the city plans to take dog meat samples from about 530 such restaurants to examine whether they contain heavy metals or other harmful substances.
"We do not intend to regulate the selling of dog meat but to examine their safety," a food safety official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The city will conduct regular inspections, publicise a list of restaurants that serve unhealthy dog meat and suspend their operations, he said.
Such restaurants are technically illegal. To avoid adverse publicity before the 1988 Olympics, the city banned dog meat and snake meat as "abhorrent food."
But the order is now largely ignored.
"Many citizens enjoy dog meat despite the ban. But there have been no hygiene regulations on their slaughter and trade because dogs are not classed as livestock," the official said.
The city government has proposed reclassifying dogs as livestock so it can set food safety standards.
But the proposal, which will be sent to the central government next month, has sparked angry reactions from animal rights activists, who staged street protests and launched online signature campaigns.
"Our inspection is not related to the proposal. But we still hope to push for the reclassification if a majority supports it," the official said.
Dog soup, called boshintang (health soup), is a Korean summer delicacy.
Somewhere between two and four million dogs are consumed in South Korea every year, but the slaughtering and processing is carried out in dirty environments and poses a risks to diners' health.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Why is it disgusting, people eat hot dogs and nobody even knows what's in them..

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Nothing new here. Markets throughout the East have cages of dogs, cats, etc. for sale for food.

Have probably thousands of years.

Not my favourite munchy, but to each his/her own.

8O

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
When my daughter came home from visiting China earlier this year, we hid the family dog from her for a little while.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
IN China if you would like you can order dog's meat in a 5 star restaurant .Very healthy meal;
the only thing you can expect from men's best friend.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've seen people with pigs as pets that would probably prefer to eat dog than a nice slab of ham. It's all a matter of perspective.

Meat is meat is meat. They're all animals. They're all about equal in my eyes. Just don't kill anyone's actual family pet, or mistreat the animals you're using as livestock, and we won't have a problem.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
A dog isn't considered a family pet anymore than a pig in many parts of the world.

And as much as I like dogs, have you ever sat down and had a conversation about how disgusting it is to kill and eat a cow with a hindu?

In Europe they eat horsemeat, to North American's thats disgusting.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Honestly, the stuff they ate on Fear Factor grosses me out a lot more than people in other countries eating dog meat.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
They eat horsemeat in America and Canada but they call it something else.

They used horse bones to make glue for years.

I heard of people catching and eating pigeons and squirrels from city parks.

Some of the homeless have eaten dogs and cats just to stay alive.

As the price of food goes up I would not be surprised if dogs and cats will be the future cheap meat like pork was.

Think of the hundreds of dogs and cats that are put to sleep at the animal shelters because they are unwanted.

They can provide a nice meal for the homeless.

You might say that’s awful but they are serving dogs and cats in five star restaurants in Korea, Philippines and China as a delicacy where people pay more money than you would pay at a high-class steak place.

The simple fact of life is there are animals that you have for pets and then there are the ones you eat.

As long as you don’t eat your pet everything will be fine.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
You know what's more disgusting?
In North America, pets get more nutrients than all of the poor and starving children.
THAT'S SICK, I say.
I know, I know, everyone's "love for pet." But you know what? Its sick and its about time we, developed world, start taking priorities--save our race first then maybe dog...then cat...

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Save our race?

If you hadn't noticed our race isn't in any danger of starving out or disappearing. There are too many of our race.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You know what's more disgusting?
In North America, pets get more nutrients than all of the poor and starving children.
THAT'S SICK, I say.
I know, I know, everyone's "love for pet." But you know what? Its sick and its about time we, developed world, start taking priorities--save our race first then maybe dog...then cat...

If life were as simple as being able to choose to feed the hungry, and having it immediately and easily happen, then there would be no hungry people in the world YoungJoonKim.