Comedy coming to an end on 'Corner Gas'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080411/gas_butt_080411/20080411?hub=Canada

"Corner Gas" star and creator Brent Butt has declared that the pumps are closed as his hit comedy is ending its highly successful run on CTV.

"I didn't want the show to go too long," Butt told Seamus O'Regan during an interview on CTV's Canada AM.

"The only way to do that was to keep my eyes and ears open... I really think the time is now."

Brent Butt stars in "Corner Gas" as the loveable oaf Brent Leroy, whose sharp wit pokes fun at his Dog River community. The series also stars Eric Peterson, Janet Wright, Gabrielle Miller, Fred Ewanuick, Lorne Cardinal, Tara Spencer-Nairn and Nancy Robertson.

Only 19 new episodes of the No. 1 Canadian comedy series will be produced this summer when the show goes back into production in Regina and Rouleau, Sask.

"It was a very difficult decision, because the show is very special to me and it's special to a lot of people," said Butt.

President of Creative, Content and Channels, CTV Inc. Susanne Boyce is proud of what "Corner Gas" has accomplished.

"Brent and his team have accomplished something that has never been achieved before," Boyce said in a press release.

"The series has paved the way for other Canadian productions by proving that if you make great TV, Canadians will watch."

What? It's been done before countless times.... sheish.

"Corner Gas" premiered on CTV in January 2004 to an audience of 1.15 million viewers, and saw rise to passionate fans that would even trek to Saskatchewan to visit the set.

The former stand-up comedian explains that he wanted his series, which still regularly snags over a million Canadian viewers on Monday nights, to avoid overstaying its welcome.

"It's like leaving a party, and nobody is sad -- it's a good sign that you've stayed too long."

Not only a hit with audiences, "Corner Gas" was also lauded by critics and went on to win six Gemini Awards, including "Best Comedy Series."

Butt says he's not going to do anything different for the show's final season, and is choosing to instead carry on like any other year.

"We're not writing towards a specific end," says Butt. "Nobody is leaving Dog River."

After the finale wraps, Butt will continue to develop projects for CTV and the Comedy Network.

When asked if there will ever be a "Corner Gas" movie, Butt was optimistic.

"We've talked about making a movie and everybody likes the idea, it's just a matter of timing and when. I'd love to see it."

"Corner Gas" airs Monday nights at 9:30 p.m. on CTV.

A movie? Ugh... sorry I found it more boring then Trailer Park Boys and ran along the same recycled sitcom style as most other shows out there today and past. Besides being out west in Canada, I didn't see anything special about the show.

Like Air Farce, I won't be shedding many tears.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Honestly, has anybody ever really found any ground breaking revelations coming out of a 1/2 hour sitcom? It is what it is, a way to waste a part of your life that you will never get back. I liked Corner Gas because it gave us a glimpse into the minds of another part of Canada. Much like on Trailer Park Boys where I discovered you can do almost anything with a rum and coke in your hand.

Brent Butt is making a wise decision to go out on top.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Meh, I hate most sitcoms overall anyways, so it's nothing directly personal to the show. But besides being from out west Canada, I didn't see anything special that made it so popular as it was.

I mean with trailer park boys, that was about as border-line acceptable as you could get, and it's ability to actually offend some was what caught my eye about it. Sorta like Family Guy or The Simpsons in how they give us that disfunctional aspect of our cultures.

To each their own I suppose.