Huge iceberg collapse threatens Antarctic shelf: British scientists

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/03/25/iceshelf.html

An iceberg two-thirds of the size of Toronto has broken away from an Antarctic ice shelf, leaving the shelf in danger of imminent collapse, scientists with the British Antarctic Survey said Tuesday.

The berg is still moving, leaving a large part of the Wilkins Ice Shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula supported only by a thin strip of ice hanging between two islands.

Glaciologist Ted Scambos from the University of Colorado first raised the alarm over the ice shelf, and colleagues at the British Antarctic Survey recently sent a small plane on a reconnaissance mission to check out the extent of the breakaway from the shelf. They confirmed that the shelf broke away sometime over the past few days.

In 1993, Professor David Vaughan of British Antarctic Survey predicted the northern part of Wilkins Ice Shelf was likely to be lost within 30 years if climate warming on the peninsula were to continue at the same rate. Climate warming increases the volume of summer meltwater on glaciers and weakens ice shelves.

"Wilkins is the largest ice shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula yet to be threatened. I didn't expect to see things happen this quickly," Vaughan said in a release. "The ice shelf is hanging by a thread — we'll know in the next few days or weeks what its fate will be."

The Wilkins Ice Shelf covered an area of 16,000 square kilometres (the size of Northern Ireland). It was stable for most of the last century but began retreating in the 1990s. A major breakaway occurred in 1998, when 1,000 square kilometres of ice were lost in a few months. A collapse of the shelf is not expected to have any effect on sea level because it is already floating.

Antarctica has experienced unprecedented warming over the past 50 years. Several ice shelves have retreated in the past three decades, with six of them collapsing completely.

The U.K. government-funded British Antarctic Survey researches global environmental issues.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Global warming? There is no global warming....:roll:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Of course there's global warming ... and somewhere in the world the ocean is rising ... and somewhere the water level is falling ... and sometime, way off in the future, we'll have another ice age too. Guess what! Scientists also claim that in a few billion years, Earth will be swallowed by the Sun (it's growing!)

Where's that Henny Penny book?....

Woof!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seriously though, there is global warming and we should pay attention. The IPCC only predicted only a few degrees of warming by the end of this century but those few degrees can be very important. They also predicted wonky weather and we are certainly having that.
http://www.mng.org.uk/gh/threat/threat6.htm

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, Newfoundland and Labrador is about 414 square kilometers? Multiply that by about a thousand. Methinks that may be a confused reporter. Wouldn't be the first time...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Right, since the area of NF/Lab is approx. 405,000 sq. km. Good catch.

The author could have meant the entire shelf that has moved was that size. I thought I read somewhere else that the remaining chunk was the size of Connecticut. The way I read it though is that the piece that is now free is the size of Newfoundland and Labrador, which is obviously not true.

The catch here is, that although this was floating ice anyways, this just allows for more calving of that region. Land locked ice can now move in to where this ice was pinned up against those Islands. We'll see what happens next Winter/Austral summer.

The article says runaway...I don't think I'd call it runaway, but it is consistent with the increasing seaward migration of ice in the Western Peninsula.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I don't buy into the global warming myth. I do think we have made an impact on the environment but nothing like the hysteria would suggest. Also the hysteria is serving too many agendas which to me seems all too convenient to be coincidental. This isn't to say someone is conspiring but that it is the best view to take for many people as it furthers their own goals. This sets up the mechanism for a self perpetuating myth that seems to be gaining speed and veering into the irrational.

I recommend reading Let's Keep Our Cool about Global Warming by Bjorn Lomborg in the March/April issue of Skeptical Inquirer,

This is a good article too: Time

I would still like to know how our carbon emissions are causing the polar caps on mars to melt?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Unfortunately Scott, global warming will be here whether you believe it or not. There is certainly enough evidence to convince me that the world is warming up. Just looking at our own Arctic should be enough for any thinking person. A lot of people seem to think that global warming is supposed to be a great big dramatic happening. As I said, the IPCC predicted only a degree or two of warming by the end of this century. What a lot of people don't know, is that that degree or two can have serious consequences for all the animals living on this planet, including man.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't buy into the global warming myth.

I don't buy into the economic myth of destroyed economies.

I recommend reading Let's Keep Our Cool about Global Warming by Bjorn Lomborg in the March/April issue of Skeptical Inquirer,
Riiiiight, the economist who thinks if things get bad enough in the next century, the polar bears will simply devolve. Thousands of years of evolution undone, and back to the original form in less than one hundred years. Maybe he's on to something, metabolism for some species is proportional to ambient temperature!

There's lots of things that can be said about what might happen to a species like polar bears, but undoing thousands of years in less than a hundred is on the short list for the "Did he really say that?" Award.

I would still like to know how our carbon emissions are causing the polar caps on mars to melt?
Well the obvious answer is they aren't. I expect you knew that. Maybe you should just use a magnifying glass and burn your straw man already. An activity which includes the sun (hooray!) and that's really what has been the primary warming signal, right? :p

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I think it may be a somewhat natural cycle the planet goes through, although our activities may have accelerated the process- but this planet has gone through many such cycles in its long history and will no doubt go through many more, I read that if the entire antarctic icecap were to melt sea levels would rise 200 ft- It would be interesting to see what the new coastline would look like.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I read that if the entire antarctic icecap were to melt sea levels would rise 200 ft- It would be interesting to see what the new coastline would look like.

Coastline? You mean the coastline in Alberta?...;-)