Black’s son charged in hit-and-run crash

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Like Father Like Son I suppose:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1044154.html

TORONTO (CP) — Fallen media baron Conrad Black’s eldest son has been charged in connection with a traffic collision in downtown Toronto that left a man injured.

Thirty-year-old Jonathan David Black was charged Sunday with failing to stop after an accident, careless driving, driving while under suspension and operating a motor vehicle without insurance.

Black, a former model, will appear in court on April 28.

"We’re alleging that the collision involved a vehicle that rear-ended a second, stopped vehicle and we’re also alleging that the driver of that vehicle backed up and then left the scene," Det. Wally Watts told The Canadian Press.

Watts said a vehicle has been seized and is being tested at the Centre For Forensic Sciences in Toronto.

He said police interviewed a man on Sunday morning about the Thursday night collision near Toronto’s financial district and as a result laid charges.

Watts said the male driver of the stopped vehicle suffered neck and shoulder "soft tissue" injuries and was treated and released from hospital.

Black is the eldest of three children from the former newspaper magnate’s first marriage.

Conrad Black began serving a 6 1/2 -year jail term at a Florida prison earlier this month after being convicted in July of defrauding Hollinger International shareholders and obstruction of justice. His lawyers have filed an appeal of his convictions.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Not from what I can tell. So long as you have a decent % of the tabloid covers, or related to someone who does, you can get away with not even a slap on the wrist apparently.

Maybe this will be the start of the Black Mafia of Toronto. Blacks son will be thrown into jail with himself, and they both can plan their uprising from the underworld in jail, get some connections and start an extasy drug ring.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Ask yourself who got bailed out first....the wealthy stockholders of Bears and Sterns or families losing their homes....

Is there one law for the wealthy and another for the poor...?

Don't imagine for a moment that you live in a democracy or that the "justice-system" of these "democracies" regards your "rights" on a par with the wealthy....

They don't!

If you're a crack-head you'll go to jail...if your a baseball celebrity...there'll be a congressional inquiry....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Ask yourself who got bailed out first....the wealthy stockholders of Bears and Sterns or families losing their homes....

Is there one law for the wealthy and another for the poor...?

Don't imagine for a moment that you live in a democracy or that the "justice-system" of these "democracies" regards your "rights" on a par with the wealthy....

They don't!

If you're a crack-head you'll go to jail...if your a baseball celebrity...there'll be a congressional inquiry....

Never mentioned anything which disagreed with most of that. Perfect case in point is how the baseball league decided once everybody got found out for pumping themselves with drugs to just wipe the records clean and start a new........ right..... if it was MacDonald's and a bunch of part timers doing that, they'd all be in jail, pressed for giving up names of their suppliers, big drug crack down on their suppliers and screw the whole thing up.

But baseball? Meh.... that'd be one big mess if they pulled the same stunt and tried to crack down on all the players who used and then go after the suppliers.

Is it right? Nope.

Toro

Senate Member
Is that so....

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/347139

To bad the Fed won't do the same for the thousnads losing their homes in the third world nation below us.

I saw the article in the other thread.

Employees owned 30% of the company. I have friends at Bear Stearns. They have been wiped out. The owners of the firm have lost everything.

The Fed became involved to ensure the counterparties that their transactions will be honored. In that sense, the Fed "bailed out" the financial system, which is what they are supposed to do as a lender of last resort.

It very well may be that the actions have increased moral hazard, as the article states. But Bear was a victim of a bank run. Under normal market conditions, this would not have happened.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I saw the article in the other thread.

Employees owned 30% of the company. I have friends at Bear Stearns. They have been wiped out. The owners of the firm have lost everything.

The Fed became involved to ensure the counterparties that their transactions will be honored. In that sense, the Fed "bailed out" the financial system, which is what they are supposed to do as a lender of last resort.

It very well may be that the actions have increased moral hazard, as the article states. But Bear was a victim of a bank run. Under normal market conditions, this would not have happened.

I see your point in this case.

Sorry about your friends, it's tough times out there.

I have quite a large sum out there but my financial advisor is keeping me in.