Road Rage

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has anyone experienced road rage or been a victim of it?

Investigators have arrested a suspect in a deadly case of road rage in Langley, B.C., that left a man dead early Thursday morning.
On Thursday morning police located the man they think was driving a white Ford F-250 pickup believed to have been involved in a fatal hit and run around 2 a.m PT that morning, RCMP Corp. Dale Carr of the integrated homicide team told reporters Friday morning.
A crane lifts the Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck from the ditch Thursday.
(CBC)
The suspect, a 38-year-old Langley man, was held by police for questioning before being released without any charges being laid.
Investigators have the suspect's vehicle in their possession and are doing the forensic work needed before the Crown can lay charges, Carr said.
Police are certain that they have the right suspect, Carr said.
The vehicle struck and killed Silas O'Brien, 21, of Abbotsford on a Langley road early Thursday morning, leaving it with damage to its front grill and

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/03/14/bc-road-rage-icbc.html

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Having operated both saltshaker and snowplow on Hwy's 400, 401, 409 and 427 in Toronto the good, I have seen more birds extended from passing vehicles than I have in the skies over the city....

Woof!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Having operated both saltshaker and snowplow on Hwy's 400, 401, 409 and 427 in Toronto the good, I have seen more birds extended from passing vehicles than I have in the skies over the city....

Woof!
I'm not sure how this relates to a road rage murder of an Abbottsford man, but on a recent trip across Vancouver Island I, and about twenty five or so other vehicles were held up by a snowplow/salt spreader truck that was just trimming the snow at the edge of the road. The roads were bare and dry. After driving behind this guy for close to an hour he finally pulled over and let a few of us by. I didn't give him the finger, but I can't speak for the other drivers.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
"Has anyone experienced road rage or been a victim of it?"

Road rage isn't limited to Abbotsford, and I assumed nor was the question. My guess is if I didn't have a front bumper that extended out eight feet in front of me and twelve feet to the right, and a vehicle that had a thirty-five ton weight advantage, the moron hollering and flipping the bird because I dared to slow his rush may have been a bit more agressive. Road clearing crews aren't popular out there ... and really not popular when they're not out there.

Woof!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"Has anyone experienced road rage or been a victim of it?"

Road rage isn't limited to Abbotsford, and I assumed nor was the question. My guess is if I didn't have a front bumper that extended out eight feet in front of me and twelve feet to the right, and a vehicle that had a thirty-five ton weight advantage, the moron hollering and flipping the bird because I dared to slow his rush may have been a bit more agressive. Road clearing crews aren't popular out there ... and really not popular when they're not out there.

Woof!

I will be the first to applaud the snowplow/salt truck drivers. We couldn't drive on our highways in winter without them. My point was that this plow was not doing any kind of work that would make it necessary to turn a two and a half hour drive from Nanaimo to Tofino into a three and a half hour drive. For the first twenty minutes I was the only one behind the truck/plow. An hour later there was twenty five cars at least, and he didn't wake up until the cars behind me started to blow their horns. When he finally slowed and pulled over a bit, we we all had passed him in about three minutes.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The condition of road rage has actually been something that facinates me. We all have experienced it or have seen it. The things that people do and say from a car are things they would never do outside a car. The car provides two things...relative safety and a means of escape. That allows a guy ar gal to flip someone off with a fair guess that nothing more will come of it. Of course there are extremes.

When I was younger...maybe 27 I was pretty much in peak physical condition. I was working construction, lifting...prime of my life. Ah the days. At any rate. I was in heavy Boston commuter traffic and wanted to change lanes, I turned my directional on and the car in the next lane sped up seeing my intentions. Unfortunately for the little rascal he left way too much room and i was able to get in front of him rather comfortably. So I can see him jumping and he stood on the horn. I just kept driving. He managed to get beside me and his window was down.

"WTF A-Hole" he calls to me.

Now if he had been a bigger guy I may have shown caution...but what I had insulting me was a 17 (or so) year old twerp. Since it was stop and go traffic and I did not feel threatened in the slightest. I turned to him with a "You gotta be kidding me" laugh and said slowly and deliberately...

"I will F*ing rip your head off kid."

He said "F U" and rolled up his window. He NEVER would have had that reaction if he was not in a car.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are right Eagle. A few years ago I watched a young guy in an open sports car give the finger and a bunch of insults to a station wagon full of big guys with hard hats. Traffic came to a stop for some reason and a couple of these big guys get out of the station wagon and start walking towards the sports car. I was right beside the young guy at that time and he was probably p-ss--g himself when the traffic started moving again. The little sports car pulled off the road at the next intersection. It would likely be a good idea not to flip the bird at big people when you are driving an open sports car......:smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I ended up in the wrong lane just the other day, needed to get one lane left. Signal, check, start moving, and the guy behind me SPEEDS UP. He blares his horn and starts yelling. Then, as soon as he gets the chance, he passes me, gets in front of me, and slams on his breaks. Did I cut him off? Only if he was blind and not paying attention to basic lane changes, but it's still a pretty **** reason to rage on someone.

Another incident involved me making a right hand turn onto a busy road, into an open lane. Some moron woman decided to change lanes in the intersection (illegal, btw, for anyone needing a reminder) and nearly hit me. SHE was pissed, got in front of me, and as soon as she saw that I was signaling for a right hand turn into the hospital, she actually had the nerve to veer in there and block the intersection to jump out of her vehicle and come running over to mine screaming. I put it in reverse, and drove away, with my grandmother screaming obscenities at her from the back seat. Seriously, I should have sicced granny on her.

What drives people to flip the bird or swear is one thing. What drives someone to stalk and threaten and actually risk injury to themselves and others it COMPLETELY beyond me.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I ended up in the wrong lane just the other day, needed to get one lane left. Signal, check, start moving, and the guy behind me SPEEDS UP. He blares his horn and starts yelling. Then, as soon as he gets the chance, he passes me, gets in front of me, and slams on his breaks. Did I cut him off? Only if he was blind and not paying attention to basic lane changes, but it's still a pretty **** reason to rage on someone.

Another incident involved me making a right hand turn onto a busy road, into an open lane. Some moron woman decided to change lanes in the intersection (illegal, btw, for anyone needing a reminder) and nearly hit me. SHE was pissed, got in front of me, and as soon as she saw that I was signaling for a right hand turn into the hospital, she actually had the nerve to veer in there and block the intersection to jump out of her vehicle and come running over to mine screaming. I put it in reverse, and drove away, with my grandmother screaming obscenities at her from the back seat. Seriously, I should have sicced granny on her.

What drives people to flip the bird or swear is one thing. What drives someone to stalk and threaten and actually risk injury to themselves and others it COMPLETELY beyond me.

I have been guilty of flipping the finger at people who have almost seriously injured or killed me by either cutting me off(Not using their signal and having room to do so. They almost hit me!) or running a red light when I am in the middle of the intersection attempting a left turn.

I remember waiting in an intersection for room to turn left. The light had turned yellow, but I was waiting to make sure the oncoming vehicle was going to stop(they don't always stop even if they have room, as we all know). Before the vehicle had even stopped, the dumbass lady behind me lays on her horn and I can see her yelling in my rearview mirror. I proceeded to give her the bird and left the intersection when it was safe to do so.

Karrie, there was a documentary about a person just like the asswipe you described in your first encounter. However, he liked to do that to semis. It showed actual video of him speeding up, getting in front of a semi, and then slamming on his brakes. His reasoning was that he was a good driver and that he could get away with that without getting hurt. Of course, the fact that he could not even pass the basic scenarios of a driving simulation program did nothing to dissuade him from his asswipe-idness. I think he was living in London, Ontario. Nice to know that he lives so close.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well those are real road rages for sure Karrie. It seems like there is a race. So the guy or gal gets in front of you...big deal. It isn't the Daytona 500. What are they racing to? The next traffic light. I tell you, the only time I beep my horn is to alert someone to avoid a collision. Even if someone does cut me off my road rage is limited to thinking...

"What a jerk"

Some people are just bananas.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You are right Eagle. A few years ago I watched a young guy in an open sports car give the finger and a bunch of insults to a station wagon full of big guys with hard hats. Traffic came to a stop for some reason and a couple of these big guys get out of the station wagon and start walking towards the sports car. I was right beside the young guy at that time and he was probably p-ss--g himself when the traffic started moving again. The little sports car pulled off the road at the next intersection. It would likely be a good idea not to flip the bird at big people when you are driving an open sports car......:smile:

Laughing here. Yup...before you flip off guys in construction hats ensure that you have a CLEAR road in front of you. They would want nothing more than to pull some flashy guy in a suit out of his car and teach him a lesson on road etiquette.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well those are real road rages for sure Karrie. It seems like there is a race. So the guy or gal gets in front of you...big deal. It isn't the Daytona 500. What are they racing to? The next traffic light. I tell you, the only time I beep my horn is to alert someone to avoid a collision. Even if someone does cut me off my road rage is limited to thinking...

"What a jerk"

About once a month I'll swear and throw my hands up in the air. lol. But that ends it. I calm down and carry on driving like a rational human being.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

"What a jerk"

Isn't it amazing how many times you will see a person race to get ahead of you and end up beside you at the next red light?;-)

I rarely use my horn either. Usually, the incident has already passed by the time I think to use it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Laughing here. Yup...before you flip off guys in construction hats ensure that you have a CLEAR road in front of you. They would want nothing more than to pull some flashy guy in a suit out of his car and teach him a lesson on road etiquette.

And you better hope that you don't end up needing constuction work done on your home and they recognize you from your escapades.;-):lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have been guilty of flipping the finger at people who have almost seriously injured or killed me by either cutting me off(Not using their signal and having room to do so. They almost hit me!) or running a red light when I am in the middle of the intersection attempting a left turn.

I remember waiting in an intersection for room to turn left. The light had turned yellow, but I was waiting to make sure the oncoming vehicle was going to stop(they don't always stop even if they have room, as we all know). Before the vehicle had even stopped, the dumbass lady behind me lays on her horn and I can see her yelling in my rearview mirror. I proceeded to give her the bird and left the intersection when it was safe to do so.

Word of advice Shadow...don't flip people off. That is road rage too. It just is not worth it. Don't trouble yourself. Even if you are right you are just not solving anything.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I snapped once in Montreal......This idiot in a green hhr....(that car pisses me off as it is) Kept getting infront of me and slowing down on city streets at like 1 in the morning.....Then Id pass him and go onto another street and he would some how end up infront of me again and slow down...it happend maybe 4 times....then I took a few seconds to try and not snap...but i did.. I got infront of him and slowed down to like stallling speeds, and he tryed to get pass me and then i floored it, and made him get behind me again...theni tryed to get him to rear end me a few times so i could get out and kick his ass.....I was pretty angry...I was on my way to meet up with some girls at a party...not in the mood.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, there was that time that my husband and neighbor hunted down some kid in a souped up car that kept drag racing through our neighborhood, but I don't know if that really counts as road rage. Hubby had just gotten home from work, pulled into the driveway, and the kid ripped by for the sixth time that week. He threw it in reverse and took off. Neighbors wife saw, shouted at her hubby, and he was off like a bolt too. They followed him all the way to work and gave him a talking to, explained all about kids on bikes, dogs, toddlers on unsteady legs, etc. Congratulated him on having such a nice souped up car, but told him they'd have the cops after him if he ever sped through our neighborhood again. Civil enough, but, neighborhood road rage? lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Word of advice Shadow...don't flip people off. That is road rage too. It just is not worth it. Don't trouble yourself. Even if you are right you are just not solving anything.

You're right of course. I just get so miffed sometimes. I am just glad that I have never leapt over the edge and gone full "stupid" on people. Someone could get hurt, and then you have to live with that the rest of your life. For what, really?:-(

I'm not as dumb as I used to be(read, 18-20) with regards to my car and how I drive it. Thank goodness for that.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

"What a jerk"

I don't think it.... Holding that sort of stress isn't good for a body - but you can say great multitudes with big words and a smile. I've had people race to the end of a merge lane and let the bird fly while they're cutting me off. I've had people lay on the horn from behind while I made sure the way was clear. I even had one guy clain I was at fault when he passed on the right, bounced through a catch basin and went into the barrier. It's getting so a psychological evaluation might be a good test o be included in pre-screening.

Woof!