British man allegedly beaten by Canadian soldiers

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...305/cyprus_soldiers_080305/20080305?hub=World

PAPHOS, Cyprus -- A British man living in Cyprus says he holds no grudge against a pair of Canadian soldiers accused of beating him up and leaving him bloodied and bruised.

The soldiers, who are in Cyprus for decompression after serving in Afghanistan, appeared in court on Tuesday to face assault charges, the Canadian military confirmed.

The soldiers are charged with beating James Sanford, a British resident of Paphos, Cyprus, on Saturday night while he was out strolling with his wife.

Sanford, 32, was left with a dozen stitches and an eye swollen shut, according to the Sunday Mail newspaper in Cyprus.

But Sanford told the paper he doesn't hold the incident against Canada or its military.

The paper described Sanford as approaching the event with "equanimity and graciousness.''

He was also happy to see two Canadian military police officers at the hospital who appeared to take the incident very seriously, he said.

"The two soldiers who beat me up are not representative of the Canadian army as a whole,'' Sanford told the paper.

"You are bound to get a few bad apples.''

The Canadian military declined to identify the soldiers, their home base or to discuss any of the facts behind the case.

"They would be sentenced tomorrow if found guilty, through a civilian court, in accordance with the Cypriot judicial system,'' said military spokeswoman Lt. Isabelle Riche.

Riche said the Canadian Forces are not taking any part in defending the soldiers. They've hired civilian lawyers for the process.

She said it's premature to discuss what military discipline they might face.

Sanford told the Sunday Mail the confrontation started when the two men made advances on his wife.

"Two of them crossed the street to where we were, one put his hand around her and spat at her feet,'' Sanford said.

After an exchange of words "one of the soldiers hit me on the head with a bottle,'' Sanford told the Sunday Mail.

Police arrested the soldiers and Sanford was taken to Paphos General Hospital for treatment.

"I have 12 stitches on my face and my left eye is swollen,'' Sanford said.

"If my wife wasn't there to shout for help I don't know what could have happened to me.''

Riche said 2,200 Canadian soldiers have gone through the decompression program.

"There has been no similar incidents reported to the authorities involving the public in Cyprus,'' Riche said in an interview from Ottawa.

The Cyprus paper says the incident is just the latest in a string involving foreign soldiers on leave on the Mediterranean island.

Parts of Cyprus are out of bounds to British soldiers after a series of incidents over the years.

About a dozen British soldiers have been implicated in brawls since last spring.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As long as they didn't throw a puppy or record the beating it this thread should die fairly quick.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Of course Eagle... Canadians deserve to not be sullied by the few. Americans on the other hand, well, they obviously take glee in their bad apples.

Isn't it neat the way that works out? Handy for us too to tell the truth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I mean they only tried to pick up his wife while her husband was present, put their arm around her, spit at her feet and smashed a bottle over the husband's head. Just as long as no puppies were involved then this is just a couple of bad apples. But Puppy Tossing indicts the whole US Military.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know the victim says he doesn't hold this incident against the military, but I sure as hell do.

You'd think an organization like that would, by now, be more than familiar with what happens when groups of stressed out workers 'decompress' in a place that affords them a sense of anonimity (ie, they don't know the population personally and vice versa). Surely oilpatch boom towns aren't the only ones that see high incidences of drunken brawling, rape, vandalism, and other crime when shifts change and exhausted workers roll into town to drink.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It occurs to me that we have enough new members floating about, that I'd better point out that on our particular forum, purple text is used to denote sarcasm. Please don't think we all actually think these things. Well, eh1eh might, he's a bit of a jerk, but, other than that, we're being sarcastic.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmm.... Stressed-out soldiers, Brit wit, a little booze and a pair of ... uh ... people out on a walk.... There may be more hidden in the story than the story leads us to believe. Why are they doing R&R where there are known to be problems?

Woof!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hmm.... Stressed-out soldiers, Brit wit, a little booze and a pair of ... uh ... people out on a walk.... There may be more hidden in the story than the story leads us to believe. Why are they doing R&R where there are known to be problems?

Woof!

It could be that they were drunk and a couple of jerks. It happens. Some guys are just plain azzes.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The whole Canadian military is under a greater stress than it has been for decades, with a questionable mission that includes the possible abuse of human rights, multiple combat deaths and injuries and no end in sight. Is it any wonder that this sort of release of pressure takes place. The soldiers involved are going to have to face the fire for this event, but the real blame lies with the federal government that is asking them to do to much with too little.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Some soldiers do stupid things, very stupid things. Don't hold it against an entire military.

True and when these things happen one shouldn't. Unfortunatly, when you see a large pile of these situations and actions which I would call "unbecoming of a soldier" from one country's military, one seriously has to look at the military as a whole and what procedures and training is involved in the forces to prevent these type of actions, or at the very least, these kinds of people from getting in.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The whole Canadian military is under a greater stress than it has been for decades, with a questionable mission that includes the possible abuse of human rights, multiple combat deaths and injuries and no end in sight. Is it any wonder that this sort of release of pressure takes place. The soldiers involved are going to have to face the fire for this event, but the real blame lies with the federal government that is asking them to do to much with too little.
There's no excuse for being a dick....

Woof!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

That it a total crock of BS. Inserting your political agenda into a "crime" is ludicrous.