Curb on car-smoking

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Ontario plans car-smoking curb

TORONTO — The Ontario government will ban smoking in cars with children present, Premier Dalton McGuinty says.

The Premier said Wednesday that the proposed ban is the “next logical step” in his government's campaign against smoking.

He admitted that he had initially been cool to the idea of a ban. He had said last fall that he worried about “a slippery slope” of interfering with individual rights.
But he said that he had been persuaded that children 16 and under needed to be protected from second-hand smoke.

Mr. McGuinty said legislation would be introduced this spring and that he hoped for all-party support to ensure quick passage.

“The need for such a ban is undeniable,” said Dr. Suzanne Strasberg, OMA board chair, noting that the concentration of smoke in a vehicle can be up to 60 times greater than it is indoors.

The bill is expected to provide for fines of up to $200.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
----------------------------------------------------------------
I agree wholeheartedly.... especially since I am a NON-smoker!!:lol:
If parents can't pull themselves together and spare their children this health hazard, then the POLICE has to make them!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good Grief!

I quit smoking about twenty years ago. I stopped smoking in the car before that. We haven't allowed anyone to smoke in any of our cars for at least fifteen years. In someone else's car we objected so strenuously to anyone smoking that they simply didn't smoke to avoid the bother. It stands to reason though, if I quit smoking for my health, I, or my family, shouldn't be subjected to other people's smoke.

BTW, I was considered a bit of an anti-smoking zealot for a few years....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's hard to beleieve some still do this. I was shocked to recently see a guy of about 30 years of age driving around with a SUV full of family as he smoked. Do some people have no ability to think? It's not like he grew up in an era that didn't know better. I suppose this is how he was brought up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's hard to beleieve some still do this. I was shocked to recently see a guy of about 30 years of age driving around with a SUV full of family as he smoked. Do some people have no ability to think? It's not like he grew up in an era that didn't know better. I suppose this is how he was brought up.

Smoking inside of a closed car is virtually forcing everyone in the car to smoke as well. Very selfish, and stupid.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
I am really tossed on this... I do agree that you should not smoke in the presence of young kids whether it be in your home or vehicle .. but there are some circumstances that I have said yes with conditions... I am a non smoker and have been for a few years now.. If you have been a smoker you do remember how it can calm your nerves so in some circumstances I say..light up.... no one is allowed to smoke in my home.. but I have allowed dh to smoke in our vehicle while on a long road trip but not continually and with his window open...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Smoking inside of a closed car is virtually forcing everyone in the car to smoke as well. Very selfish, and stupid.

And absolutely NONE of the ****ing government's business.

Next they'll be telling us we can't eat butter in our homes, or smoke inside, etc etc etc.

It is WELL past time we get these arseholes the hell out of our private business.

It started with seatbelts.

It will only end when you have the video-screen in your living room.

BTW, I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years......cost me a heart attack.......at least partially. Stupid me.

NOT the fault of Big Tobacco.....not the business of gov't.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Next they'll be telling us we can't eat butter in our homes, or smoke inside, etc etc etc.

It is WELL past time we get these arseholes the hell out of our private business.

BTW, I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years......cost me a heart attack.......at least partially. Stupid me.

It has certainly been proven to my satisfaction that smoking causes all kinds of bad stuff;...Lung Cancer, heart disease, etc.. Subjecting our children and others to second hand smoke in the home is bad enough. In a closed car it is many times worse. I don't think you want to put your children at risk, and the risk is real. I consider the years I spent smoking ....(up to three packs a day)....to be one of my stupider times.,if not the stupidest.. I have seen a couple brothers die of lung cancer and it is not pretty.

The government's business? Since the government handles our health care, why not? Smokers cost the system many times what non-smokers do. I would triple or even quadruple smokers health care premiums. You want to smoke and have everyone else pay the extra health care costs for you....Patently unfair.

Seat belts? You don't believe seat belts reduce injuries? Again you want others to pay for the increased risk you take by not wearing your seat belts.

It is not private business when it negatively affects others.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

That's your cost. You're welcome to carry the cost of your choices. No one said you can't smoke in your car. What they're saying you can't do, is make your children bear the cost of your choice to smoke, that you can't smoke with kids in the car.

I have permanent hearing damage from someone else's choice to smoke in vehicles and in the home. That's not fair. I wish the gov would have noticed the consequences of cigarette smoke on children way sooner. I'd love to not have had dozens of ear infections resulting in more than half a dozen ruptures of the ear drums in each ear. But no one at the time put two and two together.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Juan said:

The government's business? Since the government handles our health care, why not? Smokers cost the system many times what non-smokers do. I would triple or even quadruple smokers health care premiums. You want to smoke and have everyone else pay the extra health care costs for you....Patently unfair.

Juan, I'm dead serious about this.....if socialized medicine is to be used as a club to beat us into a homogenized, politically correct, true thinking mass of health freaks......then let's get rid of it now. I'll die happier.

What is next? The gov't telling us what we can eat? Snowboarding made illegal? Guns banned? Helmets while we walk down the street, in case the sky falls on us?

As for the costs of smoking to the health care system.....taken in total, it is arguably cheaper for the system for us to die younger.....less CPP less OAP, and the hospital stays of the dying come sooner or later............

You have ONE point when it comes to children.....but I will raise mine as I see fit, and will occassionally expose them to risk.....that's life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You have ONE point when it comes to children.....but I will raise mine as I see fit, and will occassionally expose them to risk.....that's life.

Nope, you won't expose them to risks the government has decided circumvents their rights.

All Canadian citizens are granted the right to security of person. If the gov feels that your actions are circumventing the right of your child's person, they will enact a law to prevent it. You can't give your child alcohol, you can't buy your child cigarettes. This is merely an extension along those same lines... substances you are not allowed to expose your child to. It's sad that the gov needs to legislate common sense, but, you've met enough people in your life to know why they need to.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As for the costs of smoking to the health care system.....taken in total, it is arguably cheaper for the system for us to die younger.....less CPP less OAP, and the hospital stays of the dying come sooner or later.........

I don't believe it. In any case, smokers are anachronisms from the past. These days everyone knows that smoking is bad for you. If you keep smoking it will catch up to you sooner or later. How many people get lung cancer from second hand smoke? How many kids develop heart disease from second hand smoke.
Answer: Breathing in second-hand smoke causes at least 800 deaths in Canadian non-smokers every year from lung cancer and heart disease.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
[rant]

This is a real 'jag off nanny move' How soon till you can't smoke in your bedroom? Fuddle Duddle. Leave me alone nanny state lovers!

[/rant]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Leave me alone nanny state lovers!

No way. This is one issue I don't back down on. Kids deserve to be protected from second hand smoke. Call me a nanny state lover, that's fine. When it comes to kids, nannying's a good thing. :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
[rant]

This is a real 'jag off nanny move' How soon till you can't smoke in your bedroom? Fuddle Duddle. Leave me alone nanny state lovers!

[/rant]

You wouldn't let your kids play with their sandbox toys in the middle of a busy street. You wouldn't let your kids play with carcinogenic chemicals. Why in hell would anyone put their kids at the obvious risk of second hand smoke? Why would anyone put themselves at risk when smoking causes about 45,000 deaths annually. 45,000 deaths is past any "nanny state". One in five deaths in Canada are from smoking.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Has anyone had the opportunity to be stuck behind a bus ('cuz the law gives them rights to cut you off in traffic) or have a diesel pick-up's tailpipe aimed at your open window at a traffic light?

Woof!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has anyone had the opportunity to be stuck behind a bus ('cuz the law gives them rights to cut you off in traffic) or have a diesel pick-up's tailpipe aimed at your open window at a traffic light?

Woof!
Bin there done that....You can avoid a lot of that if you're watching....but not all.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You wouldn't let your kids play with their sandbox toys in the middle of a busy street. You wouldn't let your kids play with carcinogenic chemicals. Why in hell would anyone put their kids at the obvious risk of second hand smoke? Why would anyone put themselves at risk when smoking causes about 45,000 deaths annually. 45,000 deaths is past any "nanny state". One in five deaths in Canada are from smoking.

Cars do have windows. That operate to create an opening in the side of the car which allows the smoke to exit. It's probably safer for the kids then smoking in the house.
If someone is driving and smoking without opening the window then I would have to say they were dumb.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

Hello, Colpy;
just stop and think for a moment!!
The government represents the people - the people collectively pay for your heart attack treatment and perhaps disability - the people pay for the secondhand smokeinhalation victims a few years down the road = they pay for the health care of the damaged children!

Tell me now, WHY shouldn't the people = government protect itself from your stupidity????? Our money could be used for better things!
That is a fact smokers don't consider!

Seat belts!! Twice my seatbelt saved me from serious injury, possibly death!! I saved the people lots of money, because I wore a seatbelt.:D

Think, Colpy!!;-)

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007

Woof!
Dumbbell! :lol:;-) Close your window!!!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I am a non-smoker, so this doesn't really bother me too much.

I just wonder how much the police are really going to enforce this. My dad who is a recently-retired police officer doesn't think that there will be a large amount of tickets given out for this.