Chavez orders troops to Venezuela's border with Colombia

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/03/02/chavez-troops.html

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez ordered tanks and thousands of troops sent to Venezuela's border with Colombia on Sunday, accusing his neighbour of pushing South America to the brink of war.

The leftist leader warned Colombia's U.S.-allied government that Venezuela will not permit acts like its killing of top rebel leader Raul Reyes and 16 other Colombian guerrillas on Saturday at a camp across the border in Ecuador.

"Mr. Minister of Defence, move 10 battalions to the border with Colombia for me, immediately. Tank battalions, the air force has to be deployed," Chavez said, speaking during his weekly television program.

"We don't want war, but we will not allow the North American empire, who is the master, and its sub-President [Alvaro] Uribe and the Colombian oligarchy to divide, to weaken us. We will not allow it," he added.

Chavez, a fierce critic of Washington, called the U.S.-allied government in Bogota "a terrorist state" and labelled Uribe "a criminal." Chavez also said his government's embassy in Bogota will be closed.

Chavez condemned the slaying of Reyes and 16 other guerrillas, saying they were killed while they slept in a camp across the border in Ecuadorean territory.

'Cowardly murder:' Chavez

"It was not combat. It was a cowardly murder — coldly prepared in its entirety," Chavez said.

He also said that Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa was withdrawing the ambassador in Bogota. Correa also ordered the mobilization of troops to the border with Colombia on Sunday.

The U.S. State Department had no immediate reaction to Chavez's comments.

Chavez maintains warm relations with Colombia's largest guerrilla group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, and has sought to play a role as mediator despite his growing conflict with Colombia's government.

Chavez's government called the Colombian military attack a setback in efforts to negotiate a swap of rebel-held hostages for imprisoned guerrillas.

Colombia and Venezuela have been locked in a diplomatic crisis since November, when Uribe ended Chavez's official role negotiating a proposed hostages-for-prisoners swap.

Nevertheless, the FARC freed four hostages to Venezuelan officials last week, and they were reunited with their families in Caracas.

It was the second unilateral release by the FARC this year.

Chavez has recently angered Uribe by urging world leaders to classify the leftist rebels as "insurgents" rather than "terrorists."

The FARC has proposed trading some 40 remaining high-value captives, including former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and three U.S. defence contractors, for hundreds of imprisoned guerrillas.

Well there ya go.... forget about Iran or Syria being in a war, this one came out of left field.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I was going to post something about this. I am surprised it took so long to get here. You think Chavez is looking to start that war since we haven't bombed him as he has been hoping and predicting?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I was going to post something about this. I am surprised it took so long to get here.

Well I was out of town for the weekend :p

You think Chavez is looking to start that war since we haven't bombed him as he has been hoping and predicting?

perhaps... but I'm pretty certain that he is aware that if the US is indeed backing Columbia, the US will get involved. Whatever plan he has in mind remainds to be seen. Does he plan on exposing some involvment on the US's behalf or just to purposely PO the US, or is it a ligit concern for the area? *shrugs*

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Here is the double standard that bothers me.

Ecuador claims sovereignty of the region, and accepts the privilege of being in control of the region. It failed to live up to its responsibility to maintain sovereignty over the region and prevent Farc Forces (part of a civil war in Columbia) from using its land.

So either Ecuador did not have sovereignty over the region (have lost it to FARC) or it does have sovereignty in the region but has actively involved itself in a state of war with the government of Columbia by siding with Farc.

You can't have the privilege of sovereignty without the responsibility.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Update:

Colombia accuses Chavez of financing rebel group
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/03/04/ecuador-colombia.html

Colombia's leader said on Tuesday that the International Criminal Court should charge Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez for supporting Colombia's main rebel group.

The comments came as the Organization of American States scheduled an emergency meeting in Washington to address the growing crisis sparked by Colombia's cross-border strike on a guerrilla base in Ecuador.

Colombian President Alvaro Uribe claims documents were found during that raid on the laptop of a slain commander of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia that indicate Chavez's government recently gave $300 million to the group.

The United States and the European Union classify the rebel group, also known as FARC, as an international terrorist organization.

"Colombia is proposing that the International Criminal Court charge Hugo Chavez, the president of Venezuela, for the support and financing of genocide," Uribe told journalists.

His comments came after a meeting with an ex-congressman recently freed by FARC after six years as a hostage. Venezuela said Colombia is lying about the documents.

Colombia's president did not state what arguments would be presented against Chavez in the Netherlands-based court.

The documents were found on the laptop of Raul Reyes, a senior FARC leader killed Saturday in the raid on the guerrilla camp just inside Ecuador. The government says the documents show Chavez's links to the group dated back more than a decade.

Tuesday's remarks came a day after Ecuador and Venezuela ordered troops to the Colombian border, expelled the country's diplomats and largely halted trade at key points along the frontier in response to the killing of Reyes.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said on Monday that Colombia's attack scuttled talks between his government and the guerrillas to free 12 rebel-held hostages, including French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt and three U.S. defence contractors.

Colombian officials have long complained that FARC rebels take refuge in Ecuador and Venezuela, and accused both countries of supporting the rebels financially and politically. But Venezuela and Ecuador have dismissed Colombia's allegations as lies.

The rebels, who have been fighting for more than four decades for a more equitable distribution of wealth in Colombia, fund themselves largely through the cocaine trade, while holding hundreds of kidnapped hostages for ransom and political ends.

Washington has supported Colombia's right to defend itself against FARC.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
So, does this make Chavez a "war monger", or is that only a label permitted to be worn by right-wingers?

:)

*shrugs* I dunno.... I try for the most part to avoid that term.

For me, War Monger is someone who wants to start a ware where none would have existed and for false / personal purposes. What's going on down there seems to be a mutual hatred and conflict between one another which is about to go off. If there are war mongers in this crowd, they're all equally guilty if they start.

Both sides are acusing one another for different things.... regardless of their acusations, it sounds like both are about to beat heads. Chavez just sorta beat them to the media punch, as it were.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The civil war in Columbia has been destabilizing the region for decades, Chavez can't be blamed for the tensions there. The great divide between the rich and poor in Columbia has driven a conflict that has taken the lives of thousands. The rich support their own private army the Paramilitaries, often supported by the police and military, that routinely execute anyone they believe threatens the existing power structure. They were supposed to have been demobilized but evidence in Columbias cities show they are a growing force every year.

The US has supported the Columbian government despite its well documented backing of the Paramilitaries. Even prominent international companies like Chiquita (banana) have been shown to have links with the bloody Paramilitaries.

Chavez may not be the most savory character in the world but his actions pale in comparison to the abuses of power and blood that is on the hands the far right in Columbia with US and now Canadian backing from Harper. This about ecomomics and power in Columbia and US dominance in the region, somehting that Chavez and a growing number of South American leaders are opposed to. Look to this to get really nasty if the GOP takes the White House once again in November.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
So does that mean Chavez is the good guy or the bad guy?

He's such a teddy bear and looks like a great guy to get drunk with and have a bar fight with.... I hope Canada sides with Chavez.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So, does this make Chavez a "war monger", or is that only a label permitted to be worn by right-wingers?

:)

Well it looks pretty much like what has been thrown at the Right Wing. Here we have Ecuador providing (intentional or not) a safe haven for FARC. It was obvious enough that Columbia was able to hit them with a bomb and put Commandos on the ground. Now Chavez, who should have NOTHING to do with this as it does not affect his country that a leftist guerilla met his end, wants to rattle his saber. Can you say "Illegal War"? Or does Chavez get a pass because of a corrupt leader (See Hussein), and a brutal government (See Saddam's Baath Party), and paramilitaries (See Fadayeen).

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well it looks pretty much like what has been thrown at the Right Wing. Here we have Ecuador providing (intentional or not) a safe haven for FARC. It was obvious enough that Columbia was able to hit them with a bomb and put Commandos on the ground. Now Chavez, who should have NOTHING to do with this as it does not affect his country that a leftist guerilla met his end, wants to rattle his saber. Can you say "Illegal War"? Or does Chavez get a pass because of a corrupt leader (See Hussein), and a brutal government (See Saddam's Baath Party), and paramilitaries (See Fadayeen).

If you'd like to talk about "Illegal Wars" perhaps we should start with some of the currently existing ones first and who's involved.

I don't think either the US or Canada (For following into Afghanistan) have any place to dictate things in regards to "Illegal Wars" as whatever definitions are used to determine a legal or illegal war seems to be written on the fly.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you'd like to talk about "Illegal Wars" perhaps we should start with some of the currently existing ones first and who's involved.

I don't think either the US or Canada (For following into Afghanistan) have any place to dictate things in regards to "Illegal Wars" as whatever definitions are used to determine a legal or illegal war seems to be written on the fly.

That is why I quoted that. The shoe is on the other foot now is it not? Here is the hero of the left pushing troops on the border because a Columbian Rebel got it. One of his boys became red jungle paint. So Chavez, their hero, is looking for trouble of the militarily kind.

So you don't think the US should have gone into Afghanistan?

And you think that because the US is involved in two illegal wars that it is OK for Chavez to start looking for a fight because we are doing the same thing?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hugo and GWB, two people I would be happy to never hear from again.

At least you are consistent on this and that is admirable. I am waiting for all of the Chavez supporters to justify this move of military aggression that has absolutly nothing to do with the security of Venezuela or even anything to do with Venezuela. The little fat man in the red shirt must be thinking that nobody is paying attention to him.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
So does that mean Chavez is the good guy or the bad guy?

He's such a teddy bear and looks like a great guy to get drunk with and have a bar fight with.... I hope Canada sides with Chavez.

Not sure if he's the good guy, but it's all relative. The FARC guerillas are no saints but neither are the people they're fighting against.

The US has backed right wing forces throughout Central and South America for decades. The US Army run School of the Americas has trained some of the most violent government and Paramilitary forces in Latin America. Chavez and others are rightfully reluctant to trust American intentions in the area and the people the right wing White House is supporting.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not sure if he's the good guy, but it's all relative. The FARC guerillas are no saints but neither are the people they're fighting against.

The US has backed right wing forces throughout Central and South America for decades. The US Army run School of the Americas has trained some of the most violent government and Paramilitary forces in Latin America. Chavez and others are rightfully reluctant to trust American intentions in the area and the people the right wing White House is supporting.

So Chavez will be justified invading Columbia because they are bad and supported by the US. Interesting.

Saddam-Iraq BAD--- US Invades--- BAD
Paramilitary-Columbia Bad---- Chavez Invades---GOOD!

Once again...this has NOTHING to do with Venezuela but it is going to be interesting seeing how the left JUSTIFIES an Illegal war if it happens. The security of Venezuela is intact and Columbia is not a threat.

UNLESS NOW...Chavez feels justified to attack because he FEELS threatened. Now where has that train of thought been critisized?

Hmmmmmmm... I wonder.