Las Vegas hospital admits to reusing syringes

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is so scary. I can't help but think that this is the short sighted sort of thing that results from 'for profit' health care.

Imp

Nominee Member
Mar 2, 2008
That is so scary. I can't help but think that this is the short sighted sort of thing that results from 'for profit' health care.
Well. that sure bit them in the ass if they were doing to to save money.

Aj and I watched this program about a week ago where some place *I forget, bangs head* was handing out free needles to street junkies on heroin to make sure they were protected from some such. If they brought in 2 needles, they were given 2 new ones.
I thought about that and although part of me was like, **** it, they wanna kill themselves with heroin, why should they be given free needles? but then on the up side, the organization is keeping more needles off the streets and outta harms way for innocent folk.

now, to sit back and see a hospital where folk put there trust to do this, it's almost insane.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well. that sure bit them in the ass if they were doing to to save money.

Oh, I made sure to say 'short sighted'. I can't fathom why anyone would take such a risk. An attempt at saving money (a bad attempt, stupid attempt, tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime attempt), was the ONLY reason I could think that a clinic would do something so damn stupid.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
they were doing that in Vancouver BC Imp... when they first started it was like.... wtf.. this is how my hard earned tax dollars are being spent!! but they are gonna get it and do it anyways so if this helps.. then do it....

Imp

Nominee Member
Mar 2, 2008
Oh, I made sure to say 'short sighted'. I can't fathom why anyone would take such a risk. An attempt at saving money (a bad attempt, stupid attempt, tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime attempt), was the ONLY reason I could think that a clinic would do something so damn stupid.

See, I'd want to say ignorance and lack of training were involved, but I find that hard to believe.
Docs and nurses are trained and know better, so I'm thinking it was a cooperate discussion past down to it's workers.
and no matter what excuse they come up with, whether to save money or what not, it'll never be a good enough of one to make up for what they have done.

The effects will multiple and ripple. One given the needle and receives the aids virus will spread it on to their lover(s) therefore doubling the issue.

they were doing that in Vancouver BC Imp... when they first started it was like.... wtf.. this is how my hard earned tax dollars are being spent!! but they are gonna get it and do it anyways so if this helps.. then do it....

Thank you, Jen! Vancouver BC.
Me too, but I'd be willing to pay it out of my taxes to make the streets cleaner for our kids, and yup, they are going to do it anyway.

Imp

Nominee Member
Mar 2, 2008
Is there any way they can be sterilized?
I'm with Karrie, they both need sterilized, the needles and health care workers.

As far as sterilizing a needle, they can be disinfected reduces the chance but don't eliminate it.

Injecting drugs

Injecting drug users are one of the most high-risk groups for exposure to HIV. Sharing injecting equipment is a very efficient way to transmit blood-borne viruses such as HIV and Hepatitis C. Sharing needles and “works” (syringes, spoons, filters and water) is thought to be three times more likely to transmit HIV than sexual intercourse. Disinfecting equipment between use can reduce the chance of transmission, but does not eliminate it entirely.
For more information, go to our HIV prevention, harm reduction & injecting drug use page.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
See, I'd want to say ignorance and lack of training were involved, but I find that hard to believe.
Docs and nurses are trained and know better, so I'm thinking it was a cooperate discussion past down to it's workers.

Although I understand your benifit of the doubt logic in this, exactly how many of us here know by common knowlege that you do not reuse or share needles, esspecially in a hospital that deals with thousands of cases of illnesses each day alone? I would have hoped the "Professionals" would have had a brain to know otherwise as well.

Perhaps it's my own medical knowlege from my parents, but I can not fathom any logical excuse for this to occur except for either saving money, or some sadistic game someone wanted to play on society for their own personal demented entertainment.

You use a needle for injection or blood withdrawl, and then you chuck it in the Bio bin.

I swear the moment I see a recycling bin with needles in it in a hospital, will be the last time I goto that hospital. I'll amputate my leg myself thanks.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I can't imagine any nurse or tech stupid enough to not know better. You can't reuse syringes, plain and simple. You can't resterilize them. This is absolutely insane. Anyone involved in this can be sure to lose their lisence and face some nice lawsuits.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Tracy,
Back in the old days, when my mother was a nurse, they did sterilize needles and reuse them. We also had cloth diapers which we washed and reused.

Everything now is disposable, but back then, car dashboards were metal. HA!

Uncle

Milko

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2008
I hope they have capital punishment in Nevada, that what people who knew deserve.