Konrad Black sentenced

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Conrad Black loses bid to stay out of jail

28/02/2008 8:22:32 PM
Conrad Black is due to report at a Florida jail Monday after losing a request to stay free on bond during the appeal of his fraud sentence.
CTV.ca News Staff

A judge ordered the former media magnate to begin serving his six-and-a-half-year sentence Monday and remain incarcerated while pursuing his appeal after being convicted of defrauding the shareholders of his Hollinger International Inc. newspaper empire.
Black's appeal lawyer Andrew Frey told The Canadian Press he was "surprised and disappointed'' by the decision.
"Black has a much longer sentence and therefore even if he partially wins, the court feels it's unlikely that the sentence will be shorter than the time it would take to decide the appeal,'' Frey said.
Frey said he spoke with Black as soon as the ruling came down Thursday afternoon and his client was doing "as well as can be expected under the circumstances.''
Black himself was not immediately available for comments and prosecutors declined to comment on the ruling.
According to CTV legal analyst Steven Skurka, the author of "Tilted: The Trial of Conrad Black," his lawyers would have had to prove he would likely succeed in an appeal if he was to earn bail for the period before his case came back to the courts.
"Very few people get bail pending appeal in an American courtroom," Skurka told CTV Newsnet on Thursday.
However, Black's two co-defendents, Peter Atkinson and John Boultbee, will remain free on bond.
The judge at the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said it was unlikely an appeals court would overturn the obstruction of justice charge that applied to Black only, not Atkinson or Boultbee. Black was caught removing boxes of documents from his Toronto office despite a court order sealing the premises.
The Court of Appeals said that because he was sentenced to 78 months for that charge alone that he should remain in jail pending his appeal, which would likely arrive in much less time.
The prison where Black will serve his sentence holds about 2,000 inmates and is one hour from his Palm Beach mansion, said Skurka.
"Clearly his family and Barbara Amiel will be able to visit him regularly," he said. "But it's a prison. You can talk about minimum security, maximum security... It's a horrible lifestyle."
--------------------------------------------------
Only 6 1/2 years, and he still gets to appeal! Did he ever pay the stolen money back? I guess not, otherwise he wouldn't have to go to jail of course.
At least some justice was done!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Dancing_Loon

Greetings!

There is no justice in either Canadian or American systems of jurisprudence. "Justice" is a moral determination and it's been apparent for generations that both nations have been influenced and conditioned to accept the morality of the wealthy as the guiding principle.

A morality prepared to institutionalize discrimination, promote stratification and establish multi-tiered qualifications regarding the appropriateness or inappropriateness of human behavior.

Because there is no absolute morality, there can only be situational or conditional morality hence there can only be situational and conditional justice.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Dancing_Loon

Greetings!
Greetings to you, too, dear Mikey!:smile:
There is no justice in either Canadian or American systems of jurisprudence. "Justice" is a moral determination, and it's been apparent for generations that both nations have been influenced and conditioned to accept the morality of the wealthy as the guiding principle.
Yes, I agree, we are conditioned, because I, for instance, had little hope he would be convicted. We have witnessed too often how the wealthy or those of position get off the hook, IF they actually get caught in the first place. Right now, look at the theater of our Ex-Prime Minister, Mulroney. You just can't nail him, he is too slippery! He actually managed to turn the charge around and made us pay him!!! Again, we all wish they would finally expose him, but in the same breath we also already expect that it won't happen!
A morality prepared to institutionalize discrimination, promote stratification and establish multi-tiered qualifications regarding the appropriateness or inappropriateness of human behavior.

Because there is no absolute morality, there can only be situational or conditional morality hence there can only be situational and conditional justice.
True! One is the logical follower of the other! What was it in the famous OJ trial that got him off the hook? Morality got railroaded, justice likewise. With a good lawyer you can get away with murder!!! Sad, but in the end - what have they gained? A nagging conscience will eventually catch up with them.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Greetings to you, too, dear Mikey!:smile:Yes, I agree, we are conditioned, because I, for instance, had little hope he would be convicted. We have witnessed too often how the wealthy or those of position get off the hook, IF they actually get caught in the first place. Right now, look at the theater of our Ex-Prime Minister, Mulroney. You just can't nail him, he is too slippery! He actually managed to turn the charge around and made us pay him!!! Again, we all wish they would finally expose him, but in the same breath we also already expect that it won't happen!True! One is the logical follower of the other! What was it in the famous OJ trial that got him off the hook? Morality got railroaded, justice likewise. With a good lawyer you can get away with murder!!! Sad, but in the end - what have they gained? A nagging conscience will eventually catch up with them.

Deny them access to banking for a week. Who has the best chance for survival?

Woof!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Deny them access to banking for a week. Who has the best chance for survival?

Woof!
Hi, Woof;
Look here, they really did it.... no bank in sight! He's now going to join his friends... in crime!
Lord Black behind bars

http://tinyurl.com/3a65ql
----------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I find he should pay a minimum of $100/day for his room and board.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Conrad on entering his cell:

"Greetings, my name is Conrad"

Bubba: "Bend over!!
Conrad: (somewhat hopefully).....................Hi Ben...........................

welcome to the "Conrad Hilton"

8O

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Now is a good time for me to move into his mansions then... I imagine his wife will need some comforting pretty soon ;)

mrgrumpy

Electoral Member
Easy to diss Conrad at this point in his life.

He was certainly arrogant and egotistical, but I do have some sympathy for the man. He is intellectually superior to most of us, has strong convictions taht he will follow, knows how to make money, and is, in spite of all his failings, someone who has loyal friends.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OHey Grumps;

Easy to diss the prick anytime.

He's a CROOK

He got CAUGHT

He's in prison.

""He was certainly arrogant and egotistical,"" :roll: Understatement of the year. If you were on fire, he wouldn't piss on you to put out the flames. His wife wouldn't either as that would be "assisting" someone instead of letting them be "self reliant"

I don't think you understand the hubris of this man.

Or, I don't .

Whatever.

Moot point.:cool:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Oh, hello, little nugger!
I think we missed you, bugger!:lol:

Glad to see you back on track;
looks like you didn't miss a crack!

So, did you get a good rest,
snuggled in your cozy nest??

I bet, it got too boring
hearing just your own snoring!!:roll:

Now we can look forward to
some fresh nuggeling from YOU!:p:lol:;-)