2nd Pickton trial may not go ahead, families told

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/25/pickton-trial.html

The second trial for convicted killer Robert William Pickton may not proceed, the families of two victims have officially been informed.

The families told CBC News on Monday that they were contacted by the Crown prosecutor through B.C.'s Victim Services program and told the trial on 20 charges of first-degree murder may be cancelled if appeals launched against Pickton's convictions on six second-degree murder charges do not succeed.

One of the family members said they were told not to make the information public.
Stan Lowe, a spokesman for the Crown's office, confirmed that the families had been called, but would not say why.

"We're currently in the process of contacting family members to provide them with an update on this prosecution. Now, we consider communications with family members to be private," he said.

Pickton, a Port Coquitlam pig farmer, was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths 26 women who went missing from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

Pickton stood trial in connection with the slaying of six of the 26 women and was convicted in December of second-degree murder on all six counts after an 11-month trial.

He was supposed to be tried on the 20 remaining counts at a later date.

In the first trial, Pickton was sentenced to life in prison with 25 years before a possibility of parole.

He was found guilty of killing Sereena Abotsway, Mona Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Marnie Frey, Georgina Papin and Brenda Wolfe.

On Monday, B.C. Attorney General Wally Oppal said he can't say much about what is happening.

But Oppal said there will be an application before the courts on March 6.

Relatives upset

Family members contacted by CBC said this new development is yet another indication that justice isn't being done.

"The girls were beaten down on the streets. And they were beaten down when the police looked the other way when this was happening and now they're being beaten down in the court system,'' said Lori Ellis, the sister-in-law of Carol Ellis, one of the dead women.

"And that's garbage," she added.

Lilliane Beaudoin said she feared that this would happen when it was decided that Pickton would face two trials.

"We anticipated back then that they would not go on with a second trial if he was convicted on the first."

Beaudoin is the sister of Diane Rock, a Welland, Ont., woman who is alleged to be among Pickton's victims.

Beaudoin said her husband was home when he got a call from Victim Services and told to keep the news to themselves.

"What it comes down to is dollars and cents,'' said Ellis. She was referring to estimates that a second trial could cost as much as $100 million.

BS.... it doesn't boil down to Dollars and Cents..... it's about justice and the moment money comes into play to over rule Justice.... then it's no longer Justice and Law and then where to we stand on our trust in the system.

Put the bast*rd on trial and then hang'em high.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't know why they broke it into segments in the first place. They're claiming Pickton didn't meet justice for second degree murder. A lifetime in prison is a lifetime in prison. Shouldn't all his victims have retribution? Nail the accomplices and put them all in GP.

Woof!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I believe the original reason why they devided them up was because the amount of victims and evidence for each would have been too much for the Jury to deal with, so they started with just 6.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I agree with the Crown (and I'll go wash my mouth out with soap as soon as I publish this) only because six times ten years for good behaviour still means he'll die in prison. It is money that could be better spent elsewhere. Though I don't believe 14 unavenged spirits is justice, I wonder if the accomplices may be looking forward to some second-degree time too?

Woof!

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
True, but laws and justice were built to keep order and to help victims get some form of closure to crimes which related to them.

If there was some way to just automatically pin the other deaths on him due to being guilty of all the other murders, then tally it up and save time and money, sure.... but for the families, it will remain unofficial and those cases will remain open..... no closure for the families even though it is a given that he is as guilty in those murders as he is in the previous 6.... it's not down on record.

I dunno, money is money, but Justice is something totally different, and imo, justice can not be replaced by money.

On a bit of a tangent, I also believe that if someone gets more then 50 years in a Canadian prison, then there should just be an execution to save time, money and space. And none of that leathal injection or gas chamber anti-suffering garbage..... fly them to the Artic and push them out of the plane without a parachute over a polar bear feeding area.... help out nature while helping out our society.

If the fall doesn't kill them, the bears will and if they don't then the cold will. How much would this cost the average tax payer?

About as much as it costs to fuel the single engine and a couple of officers to the artic and back.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
True, but laws and justice were built to keep order and to help victims get some form of closure to crimes which related to them.

If there was some way to just automatically pin the other deaths on him due to being guilty of all the other murders, then tally it up and save time and money, sure.... but for the families, it will remain unofficial and those cases will remain open..... no closure for the families even though it is a given that he is as guilty in those murders as he is in the previous 6.... it's not down on record.

I dunno, money is money, but Justice is something totally different, and imo, justice can not be replaced by money.

Justice doesn't mean a thing in our legal system. It's the conviction that counts - and money, in a system like ours, is why there are innocent people behind bars.

Woof!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Quite agree Lone wolf!

Instead of spending millions more proscecuting these cases, put a round in his head and feed him to the pigs!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Justice doesn't mean a thing in our legal system. It's the conviction that counts - and money, in a system like ours, is why there are innocent people behind bars.

Woof!

Indeed, which is also why many things require some major change in a 180 degree turn. Another example of Capitalism over everything else.

And I'm also pretty PO'd on the concept of the prosecutors attempting to find someone absolutely guilty because that is their job, regardless if everyone knows they didn't do it. So long as they get that conviction they did their job and they get their money. I know that isn't exactly how it is, but for the most part I stand by it.

It should be about who did the crime, not who we can pin it on and make it stick.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know why they broke it into segments in the first place.

If I recall correctly (and I think I do), they were already preparing the trial for Pickton with the evidence collected from above ground at the farm, while my friend and her crews were digging for more. It was a matter of not dragging the trial out further while they sifted for all the possible bone and tooth fragments they could find.