'Our Son Hired Hit Men to Kill Us'

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would push for legal repercussions, but I'd also push for counseling, and I would maintain contact. I don't think I could just cut my kid out of my life. But I wouldn't let them walk on it either.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Video....
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4329151

News story....
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/WaterCooler/story?id=4328137&page=1

What is your take on this story?

Would you stand by your child unconditionally, in this circumstance, if they too planned something like this?

I'd stand by him....

long enough to push him over the edge of a high cliff.

I'd put up with a hell of a lot from my kids.....I draw the line, however, somewhere short of murder, of me or any other innocent person.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Now, I have to ask the question.

Does anyone feel the fact that he's adopted changes their view of how they would react in the exact same situation?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Not a word in the story about why the son wanted to kill them... could he really just be doing it for the money? If one of my kids pulled something like that I don't know if I could ever stop asking myself what I might have been able to do differently...

re the adoption angle... from the adoptive parents I've known - and I've known a few - who have adopted children, I'd have to say no, I don't think it would make any difference. Once a child is taken into our hearts, the way they got there seems pretty irrelevant imo..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
re the adoption angle... from the adoptive parents I've known - and I've known a few - who have adopted children, I'd have to say no, I don't think it would make any difference. Once a child is taken into our hearts, the way they got there seems pretty irrelevant imo..

That holds true of 90% of the adoptive families I know. But I have seen one set of adoptive parents give up custody of their kids. It's no different in my mind than the natural parents who need to for whatever reason, but, in the kids' minds it was because they were adopted. And I can't really fault them for their impression.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Don't know but I'd sure like to hear from that kid why he planned this - premeditating the death of anyone is pretty horrific - but against a family member ... that's... incomprehensible to me. I can't help but wonder if there's more here than meets the eye. Perhaps time will tell.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I hate to step in it.....but, I rarely hesitate to do so.

Adoption is a wonderful institution, and those that sacrifice to raise kids that do not carry on their DNA deserve much praise.....

However, I would bet l;arge amounts of money that if you were to do a survey of survey criminality that ranked adopted and natural children, the adopted kids would be much more apt to be criminal.

I am always amazed at how often nature trumps nurture.....and who knows where adopted kids come from?