Kandahar: Deadliest Attack since 2001

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
'Deadliest' attack in Afghanistan

The Taleban have carried out numerous attacks in Kandahar

Enlarge Image

At least 80 people have been killed in a suicide bombing outside the Afghan city of Kandahar - in what appears to be the deadliest attack since 2001.
The massive blast hit a crowd of people watching a dog-fighting contest.
"This suicide attack was the work of the Taleban," said Governor Assadullah Khalid, adding the death toll may rise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7249138.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------
Really? The Taliban?
Well, WHO else?
What a bloody mess! I don't understand the motives of the Taliban.... murdering their own people!:roll: Or is there anything else involved I don't know about??

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
'Deadliest' attack in Afghanistan

The Taleban have carried out numerous attacks in Kandahar

Enlarge Image

At least 80 people have been killed in a suicide bombing outside the Afghan city of Kandahar - in what appears to be the deadliest attack since 2001. The massive blast hit a crowd of people watching a dog-fighting contest.
"This suicide attack was the work of the Taleban," said Governor Assadullah Khalid, adding the death toll may rise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7249138.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------
Really? The Taliban?
Well, WHO else?
What a bloody mess! I don't understand the motives of the Taliban.... murdering their own people!:roll: Or is there anything else involved I don't know about??

It is simple really.

Sometimes there actually is a target......foreign troops, some official that crossed the Taliban, some piece of infrastructure built by the new regime, maybe a girl daring to go to school.........

More often, the point is simply to create choas, death, destruction, and terror.........to make life in Afghanistan WORSE than it was when the nation was ruled by the Taliban.........to make the people actually believe that they were better off when the Taliban ruled. A daunting task, but one made easier by the passage of time, and one made possible by the limitless capacity of Islamo-fascists for evil..............

Yes, Mr. Layton, let's all sit in a circle with the black-turban boys and sing Kum-Ba-Ya. All will be well.

God, that man is a complete idiot.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It is simple really.

Sometimes there actually is a target......foreign troops, some official that crossed the Taliban, some piece of infrastructure built by the new regime, maybe a girl daring to go to school.........

More often, the point is simply to create choas, death, destruction, and terror.........to make life in Afghanistan WORSE than it was when the nation was ruled by the Taliban.........to make the people actually believe that they were better off when the Taliban ruled. A daunting task, but one made easier by the passage of time, and one made possible by the limitless capacity of Islamo-fascists for evil..............

Yes, Mr. Layton, let's all sit in a circle with the black-turban boys and sing Kum-Ba-Ya. All will be well.

God, that man is a complete idiot.

and of course, the right wing way of doing things has worked so well there's no need to look at alternatives.:roll: How high does the body count need to be for you to be satisfied?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
and of course, the right wing way of doing things has worked so well there's no need to look at alternatives.:roll: How high does the body count need to be for you to be satisfied?
I'll take those questions to be rhetorical...As I know any number of dead is an extreme to you.

But you do not need to be right wing to come to terms with the numbers, in hopes of something better then what was.

Even the Dutch thought the trains running on time under the Nazi foot was better then the Allied body counts. But then something happened. Freedom from an oppressive regime and truth realised. Then viola, you have a society that not only embraces and cherishes the sacrifices of others, but perpetuates the ideal of coming to terms with the costs.

And yes, I realise that that does not in any way negate the ultimate ugly of it all.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Oh, there will be a body count......and it will be a significant one.........the Taliban, when they come back into power, will murder thousands and thousands of innocents.

But that doesn't matter does it?

Only Canadian casualties matter....right?

Then think on this.........after the return of the Taliban and the subsequent purge of the Afghan people, they will turn their eyes, their murderous gaze, on the West.........then there will be more martyrs, more dead Canadians.....perhaps on Yonge Street.

Is the left incapable of linear thought?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'll take those questions to be rhetorical...As I know any number of dead is an extreme to you.

But you do not need to be right wing to come to terms with the numbers, in hopes of something better then what was.

Even the Dutch thought the trains running on time under the Nazi foot was better then the Allied body counts. But then something happened. Freedom from an oppressive regime and truth realised. Then viola, you have a society that not only embraces and cherishes the sacrifices of others, but perpetuates the ideal of coming to terms with the costs.

And yes, I realise that that does not in any way negate the ultimate ugly of it all.

Yes, they were rhetorical and no, it no way negates the "ultimate ugly" of it all.

Tell me why someone is an "idiot" for wanting to look at a possible peacefull way of ending this? Why is WAR the preferable way to resolve this?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh, there will be a body count......and it will be a significant one.........the Taliban, when they come back into power, will murder thousands and thousands of innocents.

But that doesn't matter does it?

Only Canadian casualties matter....right?

Then think on this.........after the return of the Taliban and the subsequent purge of the Afghan people, they will turn their eyes, their murderous gaze, on the West.........then there will be more martyrs, more dead Canadians.....perhaps on Yonge Street.

Is the left incapable of linear thought?

Use your fear mongering on the brain dead, it doesn't work with me.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, they were rhetorical and no, it no way negates the "ultimate ugly" of it all.

Tell me why someone is an "idiot" for wanting to look at a possible peacefull way of ending this? Why is WAR the preferable way to resolve this?
I do not think you are and idiot.

I would love to find a peaceful solution. But I'm a realist and with all the evidence, both historic and contemporary. I believe there is no hope that when dealing with a people who's religious tenants suggest murder as a form of spreading the faith.

As you are steadfast in the belief, nothing is worth stealing life over, these people believe the polar opposite.

You present no threat by action, it would only seem you present threat by inaction, or opposition.

Where as they represent a clear and present danger to you and everyone else. And by they, I mean anyone that would do you harm. Not just the perceived Islamic bogeyman.

And if that means war, then there are those among us, that are capable of signing that pact with the Devil and doing deeds that you find deplorable. And make no mistake, it is a pact with the Devil. The wars may end, the conflict ceased to be, but the payments are still made.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Use your fear mongering on the brain dead, it doesn't work with me.

Almost 3000 dead in a single attack is not fear mongering. It is FACT! From an organization vetted, supported, aided by the Taliban on Afghan territory...........what, you think they will become instant good citizens of the world?

I am aghast at the fact that the left cares not a whit about the Afghan people.........

Yet they claim the moral high ground.

Mind you, I am realistic enough to recognize the number one priority of our forces in Afghanistan is to prevent the Taliban from returning to power, and thus prevent further attacks on the west..............

I'm not fool enough to claim there even is a "high ground".

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Almost 3000 dead in a single attack is not fear mongering. It is FACT! From an organization vetted, supported, aided by the Taliban on Afghan territory...........what, you think they will become instant good citizens of the world?

I am aghast at the fact that the left cares not a whit about the Afghan people.........

Yet they claim the moral high ground.

Mind you, I am realistic enough to recognize the number one priority of our forces in Afghanistan is to prevent the Taliban from returning to power, and thus prevent further attacks on the west..............

I'm not fool enough to claim there even is a "high ground".

Yes, 3,000 dead almost 7 years ago, and how many dead since then? How many more need to die to avenge the 3000? How many do you need to see killed on both sides before your moral outrage is sated?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yes, 3,000 dead almost 7 years ago, and how many dead since then? How many more need to die to avenge the 3000? How many do you need to see killed on both sides before your moral outrage is sated?

It is not revenge, it is prevention.

The only reason there have been no more dead in North america since 9-11 is because we have been pro-active in Afghanistan.

How many dead in Britain, Spain, Italy etc etc?

As a nice little by-product to the mission of killing Islamo-fascists in Afghanistan, we get to improve the lives of the people of Afghanistan.

I LIKE it!

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Colpy,...
I do appreciate your understanding and point of view on the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Here is a link worthwhile reading, because it helps to understand the situation a little better.

Here it is...

http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Jun2004/barsamian0604.html

They don’t understand us, we don’t understand them.

That's half right, they understand us all too well. I only skimmed the article, I will admit, (I'm enjoying the long weekend and refuse to focus long enough to read it carefully) but what I got from it was more of a D'Sousesque obfuscation of the situation, rather than a greater understanding.

In the eyes of the taliban, dog fighting is immoral, blowing up 80 people is not. That's really all there is to it. This is nothing that wasn't happening before 2001, and has nothing to do with the west or our presence there. It's all part of what led to us being there in the first place.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In the eyes of the taliban, dog fighting is immoral, blowing up 80 people is not. That's really all there is to it. This is nothing that wasn't happening before 2001, and has nothing to do with the west or our presence there. It's all part of what led to us being there in the first place.

What "led us to being there" is the fact that AlQueda attacked the u.s. and the Taliban were supposedly harbouring and abbeting said terrorist group. We went in there, supposedly, to bring to justice the criminals that were responsible for 9/11. That has not happened. The leader of that group is still at large over 6 years later.

What we have now is a repeat of the Soviet invasion, nothing more.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
What "led us to being there" is the fact that AlQueda attacked the u.s. and the Taliban were supposedly harbouring and abbeting said terrorist group. We went in there, supposedly, to bring to justice the criminals that were responsible for 9/11. That has not happened. The leader of that group is still at large over 6 years later.

What we have now is a repeat of the Soviet invasion, nothing more.

There is no separation between Al Qaeda and the Taliban, they're teammates. This war is not about a few rogue yahoo's. It's worlwide, and it's not going to go away any time soon....particularly not by us wishing it away or villifying ourselves. This war was brought to us, we didn't go looking for it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There is no separation between Al Qaeda and the Taliban, they're teammates. This war is not about a few rogue yahoo's. It's worlwide, and it's not going to go away any time soon....particularly not by us wishing it away or villifying ourselves. This war was brought to us, we didn't go looking for it.

Teammates eh........ I don't recall hearing of "Taliban" attacks anywhere except in Afghanistan. Maybe you can point out where else in the world they have been recognised as being active.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Okay ... I find dog fighting pretty nasty too. People who take part in it deserve to have their asses kicked - not necessarily blown off. Terrorism isn't so much about target as it is about drawing attention to and keeping attention on cause. Hell IS a lot more comfortable when the heat's down.

One question.... What did Layton have to do with this?

Woof!

Last edited:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Teammates eh........ I don't recall hearing of "Taliban" attacks anywhere except in Afghanistan.

Then you haven't been paying attention. They're both cogs of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Maybe you can point out where else in the world they have been recognised as being active.

Sure.

http://www.aina.org/news/20060616105850.htm

Something a little closer to home:

http://canadiancoalition.com/forum/messages/26377.shtml

Like I said, it's world wide and it's not gonna go away just by us leaving the middle east. This war was brought to us. Better get used to it.

Edit: Here's another good one:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-0409190261sep19,0,5695696.story

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Okay ... I find dog fighting pretty nasty too. People who take part in it deserve to have their asses kicked - not necessarily blown off. Terrorism isn't so much about target as it is about drawing attention to and keeping attention on cause. Hell IS a lot more comfortable when the heat's down.

One question.... What did Layton have to do with this?

Woof!
Layton believes that pulling our troops out now and negotiating is the solution. How do you possibly negotiate with people that indiscriminately kill,who place no value on anyone who does not believe in their god? If Layton ever made it over there and was allowed back,I would not go within 100 yards of him because these people see nothing wrong with booby-trapping the mentally challenged.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Layton believes that pulling our troops out now and negotiating is the solution. How do you possibly negotiate with people that indiscriminately kill,who place no value on anyone who does not believe in their god? If Layton ever made it over there and was allowed back,I would not go within 100 yards of him because these people see nothing wrong with booby-trapping the mentally challenged.

The fact is, if we were to put every man, woman and child in Canada in a uniform, we still wouldn't be a big enough stick to threaten an enemy we can't identify. There is no way we are going to physically beat them unless we (the alliance) are prepared to kill every man, woman and child in country - or on the other side of borders where a lot of them run. It is up to the people to reject them and stand fast. Layton and all who believe in negotiation may be onto something. Really, you have to reach the hearts and souls of the same people AlQuaida/ Taliban are reaching for. You have to convince them you have a better deal - and you have to be prepared to ensure AlQuaida/Taliban aren't going to come and slit their throats in the night for even speaking to an infidel - before we can ever leave.

Woof!

Last edited: