Danish newspapers reprint controversial Prophet Muhammad cartoon

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/13/denmark-cartoons.html

Denmark's leading newspapers reprinted a drawing of the Prophet Muhammad on Wednesday, a day after three men were arrested on suspicion of plotting to kill the cartoonist whose work had spurred deadly protests in Muslim countries around the world.

The papers said they wanted to show their firm commitment to freedom of speech after Tuesday's arrests in western Denmark.

Yeah, that'll help things.

The Jyllands-Posten newspaper, which first published 12 depictions of Muhammad on Sept. 30, 2005, reprinted Kurt Westergaard's cartoon in its Wednesday edition.

Several other major dailies also reprinted the drawing, which shows Muhammad wearing a turban shaped like a bomb with a lit fuse.

"We are doing this to document what is at stake in this case and to unambiguously back and support the freedom of speech that we as a newspaper will always defend," said the Copenhagen-based Berlingske Tidende.

The cartoon by Westergaard and 11 others sparked deadly protests across the Muslim world when they were published two years ago in a range of Western newspapers.

Danes watched in disbelief as angry mobs burned the Danish flag and attacked the country's embassies in Muslim countries including Syria, Iran and Lebanon after the cartoons were published in early 2006. Danish products were boycotted in several Muslim countries.

Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet, even favourable, for fear it could lead to idolatry.

The police intelligence agency, PET, said two Tunisians and a Danish citizen of Moroccan origin were arrested Tuesday in pre-dawn raids in Aarhus, western Denmark.

PET chief Jakob Scharf said the purpose of the operation was "to prevent a terror-related assassination of one of the cartoonists behind the cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad."
Jyllands-Posten said the plot focused on Westergaard, 73, who works for the paper.

Scharf said the Danish suspect would likely be released after questioning but could still face charges of violating a Danish terror law. The two Tunisians would be expelled from Denmark because they were considered threats to national security, he said.

Yeah great, but it still doesn't solve the problem at hand... and publishing the pictures yet again sure isn't going to make things blow over all that well either. Although I am for freedom of speech and all that hoopla, one also has to considder what those words/expressions mean to others in the world and what responses to expect from them. To me, this action of reposting the cartoons after clearly knowing what happened the first time, esspecially right after a few guys were arrested in conection to attempting to kill one of the guys who made it.... just seems like blaitent sh*t disturbing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/13/denmark-cartoons.html

Yeah, that'll help things.

Yeah great, but it still doesn't solve the problem at hand... and publishing the pictures yet again sure isn't going to make things blow over all that well either. Although I am for freedom of speech and all that hoopla, one also has to considder what those words/expressions mean to others in the world and what responses to expect from them. To me, this action of reposting the cartoons after clearly knowing what happened the first time, esspecially right after a few guys were arrested in conection to attempting to kill one of the guys who made it.... just seems like blaitent sh*t disturbing.

Danish embassy in Pakistan bombed.........

Where is Ezra Levant when we need him?

EVERY newspaper in the west needs to get together and publish the cartoons on the front page on the same day.

Much like the plan every Dane wear a Star of David when the Nazis ordered the Jews to don them..........makes it much harder to figure out who to target.....

As well, every single person involved in violent protests against the publishing of these cartoons should be rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin.

Freedom of speech is at the very foundation of the structure of individual rights so painfully built in the west......if they can't deal with that, then they don't belong here. Send 'em back where they came from.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
Seems to me they like poking a hornets nest with a stick so any backlash i think is justified this is there most highly worshipped prophet were talking about here kinda like Jesus giving some one a blow job in cartoon form that would cause a stink you got to see it from there point of view too

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Seems to me they like poking a hornets nest with a stick so any backlash i think is justified this is there most highly worshipped prophet were talking about here kinda like Jesus giving some one a blow job in cartoon form that would cause a stink you got to see it from there point of view too

You mean like the exhibit "Piss Christ" which showed a crucifix floating in a bottle of urine? Yes, actually a so-called work of art. Did anyone die over it? No.

This is the entire point......yes, people are often very offended by cultural depictions of Christian dieties..........but they don't blow things up over it..........they don't terrorize, riot, kill, and basically behave like the 15th century Inquisition run amok.

They say their piece, they carry their signs, nobody gets hurt, THAT is freedom of speech.

Repression of our basic rights by fear instilled by a mob of medieval morons has to be resisted by open defiance.

"**** you" counts.

Hand me the stick........and a extra-large can of Raid.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
You mean like the exhibit "Piss Christ" which showed a crucifix floating in a bottle of urine? Yes, actually a so-called work of art. Did anyone die over it? No.

This is the entire point......yes, people are often very offended by cultural depictions of Christian dieties..........but they don't blow things up over it..........they don't terrorize, riot, kill, and basically behave like the 15th century Inquisition run amok.

They say their piece, they carry their signs, nobody gets hurt, THAT is freedom of speech.

Repression of our basic rights by fear instilled by a mob of medieval morons has to be resisted by open defiance.

"**** you" counts.

Hand me the stick........and a extra-large can of Raid.

So you would fight Hate with Hate nice tactic ? i wonder where ive heard that sort of behaviour before oh yea when we were swinging through the trees !!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So you would fight Hate with Hate nice tactic ? i wonder where ive heard that sort of behaviour before oh yea when we were swinging through the trees !!!

I am sorry, but refusing to tolerate individuals that threaten my basic individual rights is NOT hate.

You would tolerate acts of hatred......and refuse to defend the rights of those abused by those acts.....

I don't think you can claim any moral, or evolutionary high ground.

Just the opposite.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
I am sorry, but refusing to tolerate individuals that threaten my basic individual rights is NOT hate.

You would tolerate acts of hatred......and refuse to defend the rights of those abused by those acts.....

Just the opposite.

I'm not trying to gain any moral high ground. would ghandi have chosen this path acts of hatred only increase when acts of hatred are used and what about there basic individual rights I'm not condoning there atrocity's here I'm just saying if you fight fire with fire your house will burn down also.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Not that we're aware of.

No, Christians commit violence in other ways, like blowing up abortion clinics, assasinating doctors who perform them, ridicule homosexuals.... and not too long ago in time, they used to drown, burn and stone people they thought were witches or didn't look/act "Normal" ~ Not to mention sexually molest little boys and girls via priests.... yeah.... Christians are oh-so much better. :-?

Some do.... just like some Muslims do this too.... both groups have their extreme nut-cases.

Then don't complain when they do the same by resisting by open defiance. And your basic rights are not theirs, nor are they the same all around the world.... just those countries similar to ours. The world and people's differences and uniqueness is a part of what makes our species so interesting and great perhaps.... but once you get one side poking fun or insulting the other... don't be suprised when they react.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Just the opposite.

Sure we can... I can claim a higher ground by the simple facts of:

• Making some stupid cartoon that generalizes an entire group of people (Both moderate and extreme) doesn't defend your rights... it just pisses everybody off that it's directed to.... it's childish, and it's pathetic.
• Have you seen anybody from the Muslim community make any cartoons making fun of Christianity? Not that I've seen personally..... because they don't stoop to that petty level of childishness by attacking and insulting other religions in that way.
• The person who made the jar of urine and a cross in it that you described I imagine was not from the Muslim community and probably a former Christian themselves.... which is a different situation.

It's a lot like how African Americans seem to be ok with calling each other the N word, but nobody else of another race is allowed without getting their asses kicked..... you can poke fun and insult your own kind, but when you start doing the same to those different from you due to ignorance, then this is what you get.... one big pissed off group who want to beat the crap out of you.... or in their case, blow the snot out of us.

You can't make an action against those different from you and then cry foul when they react because of it..... accept responsibility.

Added:

If I was the manager or owner of that newspaper where the guy originally posted the cartoon, I would have fired his ass.... not because of sympathy for Muslims, but in general.... I personally wouldn't allow any cartoons or jokes which insulted other groups or religions.... freedom of speech is not absolute, and that would constitute something along the lines of hate-speech or hate-literature.... and chances are the muslim community got a little pissed about the contradictions on this.

Think about it... would a cartoon make it in a newspaper that made fun of black people picking cotten while some slave driver whipped the crap out of them?

Then what the hell justifies this?

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Not that we're aware of.

No, Christians commit violence in other ways, like blowing up abortion clinics, assasinating doctors who perform them, ridicule homosexuals.... and not too long ago in time, they used to drown, burn and stone people they thought were witches or didn't look/act "Normal" ~ Not to mention sexually molest little boys and girls via priests.... yeah.... Christians are oh-so much better. :-?

Some do.... just like some Muslims do this too.... both groups have their extreme nut-cases.

Then don't complain when they do the same by resisting by open defiance. And your basic rights are not theirs, nor are they the same all around the world.... just those countries similar to ours. The world and people's differences and uniqueness is a part of what makes our species so interesting and great perhaps.... but once you get one side poking fun or insulting the other... don't be suprised when they react.

Look, you are speaking of cartoons printed in a paper in western Europe......where the majority of the population by far is Christian......the "Piss Christ" was exhibited in NYC, where a much larger portion of the population is Christian............yet there were no riots, no violence, no intimidation.......

And yes, you are correct. Both religions have their extremist loonies. One or two in North America shoot at abortion doctors..........tens of thousands of Muslims violently protest a cartoon.........now, to treat those things as equivalent is nonsensical.

I have no problem with a Muslim reaction........it just reveals the loonies that we need to throw out of our liberal western society.

What disgusts me more than Islamist loonies are good, upstanding appeasers that understand NOTHING about individual liberty.....that would simply toss the basic principles of western civilization aside at the first hint of threat.

Cowardice in the extreme.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sure we can... I can claim a higher ground by the simple facts of:

• Making some stupid cartoon that generalizes an entire group of people (Both moderate and extreme) doesn't defend your rights... it just pisses everybody off that it's directed to.... it's childish, and it's pathetic.
• Have you seen anybody from the Muslim community make any cartoons making fun of Christianity? Not that I've seen personally..... because they don't stoop to that petty level of childishness by attacking and insulting other religions in that way.
• The person who made the jar of urine and a cross in it that you described I imagine was not from the Muslim community and probably a former Christian themselves.... which is a different situation.

It's a lot like how African Americans seem to be ok with calling each other the N word, but nobody else of another race is allowed without getting their asses kicked..... you can poke fun and insult your own kind, but when you start doing the same to those different from you due to ignorance, then this is what you get.... one big pissed off group who want to beat the crap out of you.... or in their case, blow the snot out of us.

You can't make an action against those different from you and then cry foul when they react because of it..... accept responsibility.

Added:

If I was the manager or owner of that newspaper where the guy originally posted the cartoon, I would have fired his ass.... not because of sympathy for Muslims, but in general.... I personally wouldn't allow any cartoons or jokes which insulted other groups or religions.... freedom of speech is not absolute, and that would constitute something along the lines of hate-speech or hate-literature.... and chances are the muslim community got a little pissed about the contradictions on this.

Think about it... would a cartoon make it in a newspaper that made fun of black people picking cotten while some slave driver whipped the crap out of them?

Then what the hell justifies this?

You obviously don't understand freedom of speech.....that must include the right to be offensive, or it doesn't exist at all...........

BTW, the Danish cartoonists (yes, there were a number) were invited to submit cartoons of the prophet in a demonstration of the paper's refusal to be intimidated by threats on other subjects printed.

Good-o

AND the difference between your idea of a cartoon about black slaves is simple........one is an attack on a people, the other is an attack on a belief.

Besides, were there such a cartoon about blacks...........there would still be no riots, no murders...........

Freedom of Speech means freedom to say anything short of yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theatre..........it is NOT simply freedom to say anything that the left agrees with.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Muslims have only one reaction to a perceived insult: "Kill the infidel swine". Christians have had their own stupid gaffs over the years but this is the twenty first century and we don't kill people for a bloody cartoon. And yes, we do have freedom of speech.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, they'll reap what they sow. If you know full well what will happen when you print these cartoons (they'd have to be from an alternate universe not to expect riots), well that is inciting riots. It's the same principle as yelling fire in the crowded theater. The results are expected and the action is negligent. Maybe if this were 100 years or 1000 years in the future, then Muslims might not be so uptight about it, that's hard to say. But today we know full well what happens. There will be death threats, burning effigies, damaged property, and possibly people beat up in the street.

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
The ripples from the first time this cartoon was published are still being felt, as long as the Danish papers who ran it again realize that this will likely result in the increased radicalization of the muslim community and an increase in terrorist attacks against Danish interests including injuries and death, then let freedom ring.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The ripples from the first time this cartoon was published are still being felt, as long as the Danish papers who ran it again realize that this will likely result in the increased radicalization of the muslim community and an increase in terrorist attacks against Danish interests including injuries and death, then let freedom ring.

So now we are making excuses for Muslim morons who somehow see it as their duty to kill people for insulting Muhamad, who married a nine year girl when he was fifty two.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
So now we are making excuses for Muslim morons who somehow see it as their duty to kill people for insulting
Muhamad, who married a nine year girl when he was fifty two.

How many times must i read this pathetic statement when Americans (Canadians) refer to there prophet Mohamed, if you had any idea of Muslim culture, then you would realise that he did not take this 9 year old to bed with him ,this is something you have hit on to denounce Mohamed in your own eyes ,animatedly there are Muslims who do interfere with children and some much younger than this, but you know nothing of Muslims only the things which you choose to hear ,and your ignorance of there beliefs is staggering :?:

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
not so long ago lest then 100 years you could legally marry someone of 13 it this country and yours this is not seen as paedophilia and other cultures marry at 5 this does not automatically mean that they have sex at this age does it your just showing to me how very ignorant of others you are when making crass statements like you have done 8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Look, you are speaking of cartoons printed in a paper in western Europe......where the majority of the population by far is Christian......the "Piss Christ" was exhibited in NYC, where a much larger portion of the population is Christian............yet there were no riots, no violence, no intimidation.......

Irrelevent... a cartoon is a cartoon.... but the message is something different.... just as the cross floating in piss wasn't Jesus's actual cross.

And I seriously don't give a rats ass what the majority of the population is, there is still a minority group there that it offended.... I suppose so long as there's only a minority of gays in North America we should be able to shoot off all kinds of homophobic remarks and the sort and not think twice about it.... hell, let's go out and bash the sh*t out of some on the street next time we see some? It's not right doing that to them in our societies today, why the hell do you think it's right to do it to people outside of the country or who are part of a minority of our countries? That really shows you actually don't believe in any of those things in which our society is built apon.... and if you really want people to be won over to how wonderful our screwed up society is outside of our countries, then you don't treat them anymore differently then you would within our borders. And if you can't figure that out, I don't know what the hell to tell you.

And yes, you are correct. Both religions have their extremist loonies. One or two in North America shoot at abortion doctors..........tens of thousands of Muslims violently protest a cartoon.........now, to treat those things as equivalent is nonsensical.

It's irrelevent, the mentality is still the same, and there were a lot more then one or two nut case loonies who killed abortion doctors.

And if that doesn't tickle your fancy, then how about all those screwed up break off christian cults who seem to think it's just fine to marry underage girls to older men, and have incest within their familys, because they're so fokked in the skull?

I have no problem with a Muslim reaction........it just reveals the loonies that we need to throw out of our liberal western society.

Yeah, there's a few other types of people who should be thrown out too while were at it.

Oh wait, but we don't have that right... *snaps fingers* Darn.

What disgusts me more than Islamist loonies are good, upstanding appeasers that understand NOTHING about individual liberty.....that would simply toss the basic principles of western civilization aside at the first hint of threat.

Cowardice in the extreme.

Don't give me that sh*t... you seem to think it's just grand to pick and choose what things about our society we should abide to and protect, yet ignore the actual laws and and rights given to everybody when it comes to people who are different from us. They all go hand in hand, and when you contradict the way we're supposed to be "So Great" and express hypocracy within our principles of our society when you pick and choose who the rules should apply to and think it's just funny to insult an entire culture..... then don't be suprised when you get reactions such as any of the above, excessive or small.