Emery being targeted by police?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Is Ottawa Senators goaltender Ray Emery being unfairly targeted by Ottawa police?

The Ottawa Sun is reporting that Emery was pulled over Friday night while driving his white Hummer, leading to a verbal confrontation with a police officer.
"I wasn't given a warning for anything, I will say that," Emery told the Sun. "He pulled me over for no reason. I question why I get pulled over for so much here."
The native of Cayuga, Ontario claims that he and the Hummer have been a magnet for police attention, noting that he gets pulled over three or four times a week in the vehicle.
Emery said that the cop pulled him over for driving with a suspended license, which was not the case.

However, police sources told the Sun that Emery allegedly cut off the police cruise and was aggressive with the officer. Nevertheless, Emery was not ticketed for the incident.
This isn't Emery's first automobile-related episode.
Last September, Emery and a 65-year old man got into a verbal altercation after they cut each other off.
Earlier that May, Emery was charged in a minor car crash on his way to catch a team flight.
The event clearly had no ill effects on his play in net Saturday night. Emery made 33 saves in a 6-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens.
It has been a tumultuous season for Emery this year. Emery has been twice sent home for arriving late to practice and has gotten into altercations at practice with teammates Brian McGrattan and Chris Neil.
Emery will appear on Off the Record's Up Front on Monday at 6pm et/3pm pt.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229340&hubname=

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Speaking strictly from personal experience on the roads, a very small percentage of people who own Hummers actually know how to drive the darn things. I applaud the police for harassing them. It makes up, in some small karmic way, for all the traffic chaos they cause in cities.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
We could chalk it down to bad driving or the fact that the police like to pull over black drivers in nice trucks. I have a few black friends who go through this all the time but I have never been pulled over in my BMW for no reason. However, I do get the why since the main people involved in crime seem to be black but statistically not sure if that's true. could be a case of racial profiling that may or may not be just but we should look into it instead of being cavalier about it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Considering that he made it sound like the problems started once he got the Hummer, and he probably wasn't driving a crappy car before that, it didn't seem like a racial issue to me. It seemed to be a Hummer issue.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
At first I thought this was about Mark Emery, causing me to wonder how he got himself a Hummer.

Ray Emery though appears to have issues with everything. His days are numbered in Ottawa.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah got me too! I wondered at the Hummer aswell and finally caught on. The 6-1 over the Canadians was really what got me to check to see if I was smoking something rather good. heh heh

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah got me too! I wondered at the Hummer aswell and finally caught on. The 6-1 over the Canadians was really what got me to check to see if I was smoking something rather good. heh heh
A Hummer would pack a lot of seeds. :dontknow: