Study links marijuana smoking to gum disease

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Perhaps the evil dental lobby is behind this. Keep on tokin', you know where to find us. :lol:

WASHINGTON, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Smoking marijuana, much like smoking tobacco, may increase a person's risk for gum disease that can lead to tooth loss, researchers said on Tuesday.

A study of 903 New Zealanders found that people who smoked marijuana frequently had triple the risk for severe gum disease and a 60 percent higher risk for a milder form of it compared to people who did not smoke the drug, also called cannabis.

People who smoked marijuana less frequently had a smaller increased risk for gum disease, the researchers said.

Gum or periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues surrounding and supporting the teeth. In advanced stages, the gums and bone that support the teeth can become seriously damaged and the teeth can become loose, fall out or have to be removed.

"While it has been known for a few years that tobacco smoking is bad for the periodontal (gum) tissues, no one has investigated whether any other type of smoking is also a risk factor," W. Murray Thomson, a professor of dental public health at the University of Otago in New Zealand, said by e-mail.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN05155058

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmm ... I can see some truth to it. Have a toot. Catch a buzz. Who's gonna mess up a perfectly good stone by brushing teeth? So many pointy fingers so frightened by the weed.

Decriminalize!
Woof!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
One potiential flaw:

Was this study conducted on users who smoke mainly joints or pipes/bongs?

I ask this because a previous study kinda got things screwed up when they claimed joints are more harmful then ciggs, as there was more damage done to the lungs over time (which I still find questionable)

But the main problem with that is that most people who smoke joints, mix with tobacco, and some don't even use filters on their joints. Even so, the filters on joints are not as effective as the filters on ciggs. Therefore you would be taking in more tobacco in a joint then you would by a normal cig. This affects the final conclusions of what actual weed alone does in comparison to normal tobacco, as tobacco is included into most of these cases.

While it is possibly true that joints with tobacco are much more harmful compared to regular ciggs, what about just weed alone?

Now as it goes for mouth/gum disease, once again, was that by joints or weed alone in a pipe or bong?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I read a report just recently from a University in New Zealand that suggests one joint equates to smoking 20 cigarettes.
They're on the take...The Dupont family funded that study to keep hemp down and maryjane illegal so they could continue to supply nylon for ropes.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I read a report just recently from a University in New Zealand that suggests one joint equates to smoking 20 cigarettes.
I suppose if there was a standard size for a joint the report might start to gain some credibility. Are they reading results as x per 100 mg as on the cigarette pack or for the whole joint?

Woof!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just lost a heavily pot smoking uncle, due to his gum disease preventing the docs from being able to operate soon enough on his heart.

By the time they cleared the gum infection, he was too weak to take the surgeries and died.

Personal experience... yeah... the stuff is hard on your body if you don't take care of yourself.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I just lost a heavily pot smoking uncle, due to his gum disease preventing the docs from being able to operate soon enough on his heart.

By the time they cleared the gum infection, he was too weak to take the surgeries and died.

Personal experience... yeah... the stuff is hard on your body if you don't take care of yourself.

Just as clarification, he didn't smoke tobacco of any kind?

TAM255

Jan 26, 2008
Montreal
It really depend on the kind of tabac if you want to compare both. The sure thing is the joint doesn't has a filter. Anyway, like in our society, there is two justice.

All kind of smoke can be dangerous for our body, this make sense to me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
It really depend on the kind of tabac if you want to compare both. The sure thing is the joint doesn't has a filter. Anyway, like in our society, there is two justice.

All kind of smoke can be dangerous for our body, this make sense to me.

I put filters in my joints.... helps prevent the damn thing getting all slobbery wet and closed up. Then you gotta muck around with it to open back up, take a puff and then you got weed all in your mouth and over your tounge. That and it helps give you something to hold onto when it gets stumpy.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
All smoking is bad for you. Simple as that. There are all sorts of ways to take weed that don't cauterize your lungs - as for it being bad for your gums - sure, why not? Hot smoke is hot smoke.

Who cares if it is worse or better than cigarettes?

Eat the stuff, the stone is reportedly better.

As for me, I'm pretty sure I'm still allergic to it.

Pangloss

TAM255

Jan 26, 2008
Montreal
I put filters in my joints.... helps prevent the damn thing getting all slobbery wet and closed up. Then you gotta muck around with it to open back up, take a puff and then you got weed all in your mouth and over your tounge. That and it helps give you something to hold onto when it gets stumpy.

You probably mean a filter with "thick paper" (carton in french, not sure how to translate this)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
A dental hygienist can tell the doobie smokers by the colour of their teeth; they have a green tinge.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Reuters said:
WASHINGTON, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Smoking marijuana, much like smoking tobacco, may increase a person's risk for gum disease that can lead to tooth loss, researchers said on Tuesday.

Could be from the munchies they get after rather than simply smoking. Most pot users do get the munchies, and probably don't think to brush their teeth. The tar certainly can't help for keeping food particles in the mouth, and the inevitable build-up of plaque that follows.

Whereas most smokers will smoke after eating, pot smokers tend to go in the opposite direction.

But that's all conjecture. Perhaps worthy of further study.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
All smoking is bad for you. Simple as that. There are all sorts of ways to take weed that don't cauterize your lungs - as for it being bad for your gums - sure, why not? Hot smoke is hot smoke.

Who cares if it is worse or better than cigarettes?

Eat the stuff, the stone is reportedly better.

As for me, I'm pretty sure I'm still allergic to it.

Pangloss

You could also try a vaporizer which basically slow cooks the weed and you only inhale the THC in a vapor, leaving all the brown leaf and stock in a plate inside to dump later. Man you get a pretty good buzz with those.