Russia suspicious over Iran test

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7230396.stm

Russia thinks the launch of an Iranian rocket into space raises suspicion over the true aim of its nuclear programme, a foreign ministry official has said.

"Long-range missiles are one of the components of a [nuclear] weapons system," Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Losyukov told Interfax.

Therefore Monday's test launch of Iran's Explorer-1 space rocket was "of course, a cause for concern", he said.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is purely for peaceful energy production.

Correspondents say the statement by Mr Losyukov appeared to indicate that Moscow increasingly shares Western concerns about Tehran's nuclear course.

"It increases suspicion of Iran regarding its possible desire to create a nuclear weapon," he was quoted as saying.

Iran said the rocket which was test-fired would be used to launch research satellites.
The US State Department said the launch was "troubling", as it was an example of the same technology behind long-range ballistic missiles.
In the past, Russia has been more sceptical than some Western powers about Iran's missile capability, saying it would take a long time to build long-range missiles.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I was going to say the samething, but I didn't want Prax to think I was picking on her.

Yeah you lost me on this post. Oh well.

Either way, I appreciate Russia's level of observation and yet, still not jumping the gun.... like some others. But I've never been one who is stuck with on opinion and carved in stone. When more evidence or information is provided on one subject, so my opinion changes. To this day, I have yet to see anything worth while as evidence towards Iran developing nuclear weapons rather then energy.

The fact that they are now testing long range missiles around the same time they're working on nuclear energy, and at the same time claiming they are working on launching satelites into orbit.... it does raise concerns, but it still could all be ligit.

But I still don't know where you were going with that comment.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Thats proof right there that u.s. isnt the only country thats weary over Irans program.

Well from what I've seen, heard and watched from the US and elsewhere, it's not weary over Iran's programs, The Bush administration is still claiming 100% that they are working on weapons. Russia just has concerns. Valid I must say they are, but not enough to be so bold as to claim they are in fact working on weapons, which the US has been pushing for over the last couple of years.

But we don't need proof that other countries are weary over Iran, this has been kinda fact from other nations, such as France I believe.

We need proof that they are or are not working on them. Until then, I see no logic in any military campaign or intervention at this stage. (Which I suspect would enter the conversation here eventually)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah you lost me on this post. Oh well.
I'm not surprised.
Either way, I appreciate Russia's level of observation and yet, still not jumping the gun.... like some others. But I've never been one who is stuck with on opinion and carved in stone. When more evidence or information is provided on one subject, so my opinion changes. To this day, I have yet to see anything worth while as evidence towards Iran developing nuclear weapons rather then energy.
Did I say anything that was the opposite of that sentiment?

I agree, I think if Bush pushes for an attack on Iran, he will be undoubtedly proven to be the biggest asshole in the history of the plant...

Are you confused as to where I stand?

The fact that they are now testing long range missiles around the same time they're working on nuclear energy, and at the same time claiming they are working on launching satelites into orbit.... it does raise concerns, but it still could all be ligit.
Yep, and I could be Britney Spears. As you seemed to glue theories together in that other thread, you seem unable to do so here with the same energy. But I could be allowing your past posts to affect my judgement, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I still don't know where you were going with that comment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
such as France I believe.
I wouldn't trust France around the crack of dawn, let alone to make a desicion on global safety concerns.

Bunch of cheese eating surrender, geocide supporting monkeys.

We need proof that they are or are not working on them. Until then, I see no logic in any military campaign or intervention at this stage.
Agreed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thats proof right there that u.s. isnt the only country thats weary over Irans program.

Of course they're not the only ones who are suspicious. They're not the only country outside of Iran's borders. And they're not the only white, predominantly Christian nation. People with different skin colors and religions almost always prompt distrust when they have neat toys like ours.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Suspicion isn't a good enough justification for war. We saw that premise disproved in Iraq.

If the USA wants to abandon it's label as a failed state they must find concrete evidence Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons, otherwise they are just a rogue superpower and a hell of a lot more dangerous then Iran (nuclear or not).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree that there should not be a military attack on Iran until good proof is found, as
long as the proof isn't in the form of a 'mushroom cloud'.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm suspicious about Russian suspicions over Irans test. Russians have sold and delivered a missle called sunburn to Iran. Neat trick with the mushroom cloud line tallola, but the most likely place for that cloud to form will be Iran. What would that proove? That the western coalitions are war pigs? We already know that don't we?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I wouldn't draw any conclusions just yet, either.

First, consider all the hysteria about WMD in Iraq.

Second, consider the EU's launching of what was purported to be a Galileo rocket two years ago. The EU hasn't got an exemption from the NNPT but it has rockets in space and nobody is saying they have nukes in violation of international law.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I agree that there should not be a military attack on Iran until good proof is found, as
long as the proof isn't in the form of a 'mushroom cloud'.

Even if Iran had the ability they wouldn't use it. It is against their religion and they would fear the retaliation. It is worth remembering that in its modern history Iran hasn't waged a war of aggression, they have only defended themselves (Iraq and USA). If they have the ability then we will see mushroom clouds as soon as we try and stop them. I also fear Israel would be a prime target. All the evidence suggests that Iran is quite stable in terms of aggression unless provoked. In other words: when we attack them (or more accurately the USA and Israel) is when we'll find out if they have the capacity. IMO, this is clearly a case where it's best to let sleeping lions sleep.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Good point.

Interesting how the right wingers get all up in arms about ''9/11 implosion conspiracies'' but how they angrily and emotionally get hyped up about imaginary Iranian and Muslim ''conspiracies'' to conquer the world.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm sure Iran wouldn't attack in a nuclear way,BUT we have been shown so many 'crazy' news clips of islamic demonstrations, that make them appear completely CRAZY, and it
leaves us with the impression that they would stop at nothing, and haven't got the intelligence to reason logically, and that they always act emotionally and irrationally and
do everything in a bloodthirsty manner, chopping off heads, etc., and I along with many
others believe they would do ANYTHING. They believe that the next life is the important
life and this one means nothing, hence, suicide bombers, so why wouldn't they go that
far, so that they can go to the next life, and finish us off, and, oh yeah, the virgin thing,
I mean, , is it 72? After the first 10 or so, wouldn't a good man wish for a knowledgable experienced woman.;-)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I'm sure Iran wouldn't attack in a nuclear way,BUT we have been shown so many 'crazy' news clips of islamic demonstrations, that make them appear completely CRAZY, and it
leaves us with the impression that they would stop at nothing, and haven't got the intelligence to reason logically, and that they always act emotionally and irrationally and
do everything in a bloodthirsty manner, chopping off heads, etc., and I along with many
others believe they would do ANYTHING. They believe that the next life is the important
life and this one means nothing, hence, suicide bombers, so why wouldn't they go that
far, so that they can go to the next life, and finish us off, and, oh yeah, the virgin thing,
I mean, , is it 72? After the first 10 or so, wouldn't a good man wish for a knowledgable experienced woman.;-)

I agree that different cultures can look bizarre and even scary but let's leave the xenophobia aside for a moment and examine the situation more logically. I already made a case for why they wouldn't overtly start a war, say by dropping a nuke on Israel, and pointed out that they haven't yet acted aggressively.

Now let's take your argument for a moment and flip it around. How do they see us, the west?

They see us parading our women around half naked, they see shows like South Park, they see Brittney Spears losing her mind, etc... they surely must wonder at our sanity. We look like a godless society completely engrossed in every depravity possible.

They watched as the USA invaded Iraq with a premise based on lies and deceptions. Now that the truth is out what has happened to Bush - nothing! This was something that happened to their neighbors. Surely this looks crazy beyond words and scares the piss out of them - if it doesn't, it should.

They were originally offered nuclear technology under Ford by Chaney. They have every legal right to pursue this technology and cooperate with the IAEA, but now, for some strange reason the west is hell bent on them not getting the technology - when they were the first to try and help them get it! How nuts must that seem? Does Israel comply with IAEA standards? No. So what's the big deal they must wonder?

They have watched India and Pakistan gain nuclear technology with help from the west. How strange that must look when those countries do act aggressively!

They see the USA screaming about freedom but they incarcerate more of their citizens then any other country on earth! They even lock up children! How are they supposed to respond when we claim Iran is too harsh? It must seem very strange to say the least. Now the USA tortures people and says it doesn't, they say Iran is worse!?!? Huh?

They see the US president claiming he is on a mission from god and even talks to him! That's completely nuts!

They see Christians supporting Israel because they want Jesus to return. They want it so badly that they don't care one bit how Israel actually behaves. How do you think that looks - crazy? You bet.

The list of absurdities goes on and on... and they have every reason to suspect we're all complete lunatics every bit as much as you do that they are.

Xenophobia is a two way street. We look, and with very good reasons, to be completely mad to them too.

We (Canada and Canadians) need to leave paranoid knee jerk reactions behind and get Iran and the USA talking if there is going to be any hope of averting another senseless war. This one, in all probability, is going to envelope the globe.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree that different cultures can look bizarre and even scary but let's leave the xenophobia aside for a moment and examine the situation more logically. I already made a case for why they wouldn't overtly start a war, say by dropping a nuke on Israel, and pointed out that they haven't yet acted aggressively.

Now let's take your argument for a moment and flip it around. How do they see us, the west?

They see us parading our women around half naked, they see shows like South Park, they see Brittney Spears losing her mind, etc... they surely must wonder at our sanity. We look like a godless society completely engrossed in every depravity possible.

They watched as the USA invaded Iraq with a premise based on lies and deceptions. Now that the truth is out what has happened to Bush - nothing! This was something that happened to their neighbors. Surely this looks crazy beyond words and scares the piss out of them - if it doesn't, it should.

They were originally offered nuclear technology under Ford by Chaney. They have every legal right to pursue this technology and cooperate with the IAEA, but now, for some strange reason the west is hell bent on them not getting the technology - when they were the first to try and help them get it! How nuts must that seem? Does Israel comply with IAEA standards? No. So what's the big deal they must wonder?

They have watched India and Pakistan gain nuclear technology with help from the west. How strange that must look when those countries do act aggressively!

They see the USA screaming about freedom but they incarcerate more of their citizens then any other country on earth! They even lock up children! How are they supposed to respond when we claim Iran is too harsh? It must seem very strange to say the least. Now the USA tortures people and says it doesn't, they say Iran is worse!?!? Huh?

They see the US president claiming he is on a mission from god and even talks to him! That's completely nuts!

They see Christians supporting Israel because they want Jesus to return. They want it so badly that they don't care one bit how Israel actually behaves. How do you think that looks - crazy? You bet.

The list of absurdities goes on and on... and they have every reason to suspect we're all complete lunatics every bit as much as you do that they are.

Xenophobia is a two way street. We look, and with very good reasons, to be completely mad to them too.

We (Canada and Canadians) need to leave paranoid knee jerk reactions behind and get Iran and the USA talking if there is going to be any hope of averting another senseless war. This one, in all probability, is going to envelope the globe.

I don't have to imagine how they see us, as I see us that way as well, and can easily see how others, who are more conservative see us that way too. I think much of the western ways are disgusting too, BUT we do have a choice, it's just too bad that so many make the wrong one. Being free and having the choice is very precious, but when left to choice, the human race seems to become very loose and lusty and disrespectful and the more
we have the more we want and expect and think we need, and we really don't need much at all.
We have often discussed the fact that India and Pakistan have nuclear power, as soon as one got it the other had to have it, and they did, so why can't any country have it.
I am not a religious person and all the religions around the world in my opinion have
caused many of the problems that exist today, so I don't buy into any of them, and I
am much better off because of it, much more free.
I hope, very much, for Barack Obama to be the next U.S. president, as I see him as someone who can be respected around the world, and he will work hard to bring everyone together, and in time some of that panic and frenzy, (caused by Bush) will
soften, and the world can 'settle' a little.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'm not surprised.

Because I don't care enough. Either spit out what you want to say or stop wasting time.

Did I say anything that was the opposite of that sentiment?

Apparently we're getting diverted from the original topic in question. I don't honestly care.

You didn't really say, post or contribute anything at all in this thread yet, so clearly no.

I agree, I think if Bush pushes for an attack on Iran, he will be undoubtedly proven to be the biggest asshole in the history of the plant...

Are you confused as to where I stand?

Now that you finally posted where you stand in this topic, no.

Yep, and I could be Britney Spears.

You could be. I wouldn't know, or care. How are the kids? Oh yeah, I don't care.

As you seemed to glue theories together in that other thread,

Oh did I? That other thread you say? Gee, there's so many threads these days to keep track of, once again.... either spit it out or get over it.

you seem unable to do so here with the same energy.

Perhaps because it was actually you who conjured up what I was apparently thinking, when I didn't say anything, except something explained was questionable.

Maybe it's my accent.

But I could be allowing your past posts to affect my judgement, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm pretty sure that is what's happening here. In the past, you seemed to have thrown some impression of me as Anti-American. And if you think that, then you really don't know my position at all.

Perhaps in time.

By the way, I personally try to keep one thread apart from another, as I've been through several forums over the last decade almost, that I can't honestly remember what I posted where anymore, or who I said what to when. But my positions usually stay the same unless new information is provided. In that time I will perhaps change my position. This is also why I try to keep what you or anybody else says in another thread in that thread. Unless the threads are related in some manner, it just saves time and headache from running all over the place and pointing fingers saying "naa naa na.... see." I've been down that road too many times and it's always misunderstood and then has to be clarified again, wasting more time in the new thread, kinda like what this is doing right now.

Last edited: