Chris Benoit Update

karrie
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/2008/02/05/4828880.html

A new CBC documentary says Canadian wrestling star Chris Benoitís brain resembled that of an 85-year-old man with dementia when he killed himself and his family last summer.
After Benoit and his family were found dead in their Atlanta home in June, some commentators speculated Benoit may have killed his family during an episode of steroid-induced rage.
But doctors interviewed by the CBC say Benoitís brain was so damaged from repeated concussions that he couldnít be held responsible for his actions.
The findings stem from research first conducted on former NFL players like Andre Waters and Terry Long, who both committed suicide.
The Fifth Estate documentary, which airs Wednesday, probes the circumstances surrounding the premature death of Benoit and dozens of other pro wrestlers.
Benoit, who was born in Montreal and grew up in Edmonton, became World Wrestling Entertainmentís world champion in 2004.

jenn
see drugs does fry the brain!!!

karrie
not according to the article.

gopher
chairs and head butts should be banned in pro grappling

karrie
Chairs are almost always across the meat of the back if done according to the way they're taught. Most of the concussions come from being thrown into the mat, kneed, or clotheslined. But it begs the question.... why risk the health of these men for a sport that's not even a sport? Why risk their lives for a cruelly choreographed play?

gopher
`` Chairs are almost always across the meat of the back if done according to the way they're taught.``

This is true, now.

Up to this time, the WWE has allowed the use of chairs on grappler's heads. I used to post on a wrestling web site and one popular section we had was called ''chair shots to the head''. Most of the fans liked those shots --- I did not. Never did. Never will.

Safety first. ALWAYS!!

karrie
when it comes to brain damage though, the clotheslining creates more brain trauma than a chair shot. The worst trauma results when the body is moving and comes to an abrupt stop, resulting in the brain bouncing within the skull. A chair shot hits a head that's not moving, and the skull absorbs much of the blow. It bounces a bit, but not like a full on back flop onto the mats.

gopher
I've been watching pro wrestling for 50+ years, have been a free lance sports reporter, and have known several pro wrestlers. In all my years I have never heard or seen any such assertions.

Do you have sources to back that up?

karrie
http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/safet...ncussions.html

here's just a basic blurb, first google hit out, that discusses the fact that it's the sloshing inside the skull that causes a concussion. From there it's basic physics. which causes more sloshing? Hitting a solid jug with water and an apple inside? Or dropping that jug?

karrie
don't get me wrong gopher... a chair hit isn't good either. But eliminating chair hits when the guys are still suffering a doze different types of blows, isn't going to protect their brains from anything but splinters.

gopher
``eliminating chair hits when the guys are still suffering a doze different types of blows, isn't going to protect their brains from anything but splinters.``

Not so according to The Sports Legacy Institute:

http://www.sportslegacy.org/

This organization is the principle group that studies and advises sports administrators on head injuries. It was the one that initially determined that Benoit's madness arose from physical injuries, not from steroids or other drugs.

The article from the Sun does not indicate who specifically made its reported determination.

karrie
I don't get what that link was supposed to prove as far as blows to the head from chairs go gopher. They liken Chris to football players, where most of the concussions are from the sloshing of abrupt changes in movement and strikes to the ground (very much like 'clotheslining'), not impacts against the skull.
Last edited by karrie; Feb 6th, 2008 at 12:40 AM..

gopher
That link principally discusses concussions arising from head injuries. Not from any other source.

karrie
those are head injuries gopher. You may not see it as being as drastic as a chair upside the head, but, when you stop a running man dead in his tracks and flip him over backwards, the amount of force which snaps back and forth across the brain stem, and then the force which sloshes his brain around in his skull when he then hits the ground, is MOST DEFINITELY a head injury. Of the highest order.

Nuggler
My gosh, Karrie, you're right as usual.

................Ain't nothin thet girl don't know..........She'll tell ya too..........

An..................she gets the last werd................

Wimmin is wunnerful.

Unforgiven
They've been churning out cripples and corpes for years and years now all for a buck so why all of a sudden are people trippin'?

Praxius
You all kinda missed the big picture in this topic. Chris's brain damage had hardly anything to do with chairs to the head, but his finishing move he performed almost every match for the last number of decades.... since I was a kid anyways:

Jumping from that distance (Top Buckle) and driving your skull into another guy day after day, year after year, I think that'd be your answer right there.

You would usually see him sorta bounce back and sit up holding his head in what seemed extreme pain before he grabbed the guy for a pin, esspecially in the last years before this all happened.

Chairs and Drugs are clearly not going to help in anyway, but I think the above plays a bit of a role in what happened to his noggin. Unfortunatly as I see it, he did it to himself.

Nuggler
No brain, no pain.

If being a rassler is what ya wanna do, gotta expect the worse.

Killing off the family is not quite cricket though.

Must have really been scrambled.

Although, some do that, and have never been in a fight.

I thought I had the "big picture" quite nailed actually, but............if you say not.......whatever.......

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

I thought I had the "big picture" quite nailed actually, but............if you say not.......whatever.......

Nope, we had no clue. Sorry Nugg. lol.

Nuggler
.................Dang..................

Praxius
Well maybe you guys did have a clue, or already knew, I just didn't see much talk about his top turn buckle head butt finishing move thingy, and seemed more focused on Chairs as being what caused the problems with Chris.

Just wanted to point that part out before things went a bit too far with the chairs. :P

His head butt move would attribute to what Karrie was talking about with the shock to the brain, which is quite true. We know it was the butler who done it, we just had the wrong murder weapon.

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

those are head injuries gopher. You may not see it as being as drastic as a chair upside the head, but, when you stop a running man dead in his tracks and flip him over backwards, the amount of force which snaps back and forth across the brain stem, and then the force which sloshes his brain around in his skull when he then hits the ground, is MOST DEFINITELY a head injury. Of the highest order.

It doesn't matter what I say or think or what you say or think.

The key is, what does medical science say on this matter???

The source I provided ascribes the problem to head shots, not to anything else. And they are sport's foremost experts on the subject.

amagqira
It probably doesn't matter. I suspect both Karrie and Gopher are right. Hit a skull hard enough and you will bruise the brain below the impact area and maybe even crack the skull. Hit a skull not fixed in space, and the brain will move to the opposite side in the direction of the original blow and bash against the other side of the skull and bruise the opposite side of the brain. And a bruise of the brain looks as bad as a bruise of a leg.

I dislike both boxing and modern wrestling match exhibitions and avoid them as far as possible, I'm not surprised he ended up with severe brain atrophy, dementia and emotional instability. Makes me wonder about the rest of them.

Sorry for ranting and raining on your parade Gopher, but there it is.

gopher
That's quite all right --- all are free to voice their opinion.

But if you want me to accept anything as fact, you must present evidence that refutes the conclusions these experts have reached.

karrie
Your experts never did any side by side comparison on that site, that I could find, that compared stationary head blows to moving head injuries like clotheslining or, as Prax pointed out, a jump off the ropes.

gopher
It's a strong likelihood that they would first have to recognize that as a significant factor as are direct head injuries for them to reach the same conclusion you have.

Nuggler
Ok, Karrie and Goph stand side by each and we'll hit one with a chair and one with a top-turnbuckle head butt. Over and over.

See which one kills their family first.

How'zat??

Now, you do realize I'm kidding, right??

ha ha ?

karrie

haha Nugg

hermite
All of most of my life I ignored pro wrestling.Then I fell in love with a guy who was totally into it. God love him, he died several years ago. But in our time together, he drug me to wrestling matches in St. Paul.

Hey, Gopher! Maybe we saw each other there?

I was easily hooked. What woman wouldn't love watching extremely well-built, scantily-clad men throw each other around? Sweet.

And better yet, we found out what bar they would go to after the match. And we would go and buy them a drink and get to know them. And they were, for the most part, wonderful people. Smart, funny, caring.

Hearing about Benoit was a total shock for me. Well, not really, because I already knew that a certain Federation was getting quite ugly. Too bad. They were riding a high wave there, making lots of money. But greed took over, people died. Now they slink back into an obscurity, for a while.

Sad.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

haha Nugg

No, I mean........ha ha .