Chris Benoit Update

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/2008/02/05/4828880.html

A new CBC documentary says Canadian wrestling star Chris Benoit’s brain resembled that of an 85-year-old man with dementia when he killed himself and his family last summer.
After Benoit and his family were found dead in their Atlanta home in June, some commentators speculated Benoit may have killed his family during an episode of steroid-induced rage.
But doctors interviewed by the CBC say Benoit’s brain was so damaged from repeated concussions that he couldn’t be held responsible for his actions.
The findings stem from research first conducted on former NFL players like Andre Waters and Terry Long, who both committed suicide.
The Fifth Estate documentary, which airs Wednesday, probes the circumstances surrounding the premature death of Benoit and dozens of other pro wrestlers.
Benoit, who was born in Montreal and grew up in Edmonton, became World Wrestling Entertainment’s world champion in 2004.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Chairs are almost always across the meat of the back if done according to the way they're taught. Most of the concussions come from being thrown into the mat, kneed, or clotheslined. But it begs the question.... why risk the health of these men for a sport that's not even a sport? Why risk their lives for a cruelly choreographed play?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
`` Chairs are almost always across the meat of the back if done according to the way they're taught.``

This is true, now.

Up to this time, the WWE has allowed the use of chairs on grappler's heads. I used to post on a wrestling web site and one popular section we had was called ''chair shots to the head''. Most of the fans liked those shots --- I did not. Never did. Never will.

Safety first. ALWAYS!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
when it comes to brain damage though, the clotheslining creates more brain trauma than a chair shot. The worst trauma results when the body is moving and comes to an abrupt stop, resulting in the brain bouncing within the skull. A chair shot hits a head that's not moving, and the skull absorbs much of the blow. It bounces a bit, but not like a full on back flop onto the mats.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I've been watching pro wrestling for 50+ years, have been a free lance sports reporter, and have known several pro wrestlers. In all my years I have never heard or seen any such assertions.

Do you have sources to back that up?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
don't get me wrong gopher... a chair hit isn't good either. But eliminating chair hits when the guys are still suffering a doze different types of blows, isn't going to protect their brains from anything but splinters.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``eliminating chair hits when the guys are still suffering a doze different types of blows, isn't going to protect their brains from anything but splinters.``

Not so according to The Sports Legacy Institute:

http://www.sportslegacy.org/

This organization is the principle group that studies and advises sports administrators on head injuries. It was the one that initially determined that Benoit's madness arose from physical injuries, not from steroids or other drugs.

The article from the Sun does not indicate who specifically made its reported determination.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't get what that link was supposed to prove as far as blows to the head from chairs go gopher. They liken Chris to football players, where most of the concussions are from the sloshing of abrupt changes in movement and strikes to the ground (very much like 'clotheslining'), not impacts against the skull.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
those are head injuries gopher. You may not see it as being as drastic as a chair upside the head, but, when you stop a running man dead in his tracks and flip him over backwards, the amount of force which snaps back and forth across the brain stem, and then the force which sloshes his brain around in his skull when he then hits the ground, is MOST DEFINITELY a head injury. Of the highest order.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
My gosh, Karrie, you're right as usual.

................:read2:Ain't nothin thet girl don't know..........She'll tell ya too..........

An..................she gets the last werd................

Wimmin is wunnerful.

:read:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
They've been churning out cripples and corpes for years and years now all for a buck so why all of a sudden are people trippin'?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You all kinda missed the big picture in this topic. Chris's brain damage had hardly anything to do with chairs to the head, but his finishing move he performed almost every match for the last number of decades.... since I was a kid anyways:

Jumping from that distance (Top Buckle) and driving your skull into another guy day after day, year after year, I think that'd be your answer right there.

You would usually see him sorta bounce back and sit up holding his head in what seemed extreme pain before he grabbed the guy for a pin, esspecially in the last years before this all happened.

Chairs and Drugs are clearly not going to help in anyway, but I think the above plays a bit of a role in what happened to his noggin. Unfortunatly as I see it, he did it to himself.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
No brain, no pain.

If being a rassler is what ya wanna do, gotta expect the worse.

Killing off the family is not quite cricket though.

Must have really been scrambled.

Although, some do that, and have never been in a fight.

I thought I had the "big picture" quite nailed actually, but............if you say not.......whatever.......
:dontknow: