Canada pulls support for UN anti-racism conference

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe.../racism_conference_080123/20080123?hub=Canada

Canada will not support preparations for a UN anti-racism conference planned for Durban, South Africa, next year. The government claims the previous meeting in 2001 turned into an embarrassing promotion of racist attitudes.

"(The conference) turned into a bit of a circus for intolerance and bigotry, particularly but not exclusively directed at the Jewish people," Conservative MP Jason Kenney, the government's secretary of state for multiculturalism, told CTV's Mike Duffy Live.

He added that "Hitler posters (were displayed) by NGOs that have been re-invited by the organizing committee now chaired by Libya."

The NDP said Canada needs to be at the table in Durban.

"I think Canada needs to be there even if we bring a different perspective and can say something differently than other people in the world," said British Columbia MP Bill Siksay.

Siksay added that the Conservative government should not abandon its traditional commitment to multilateralism.

The 2001 World Conference Against Racism in Durban highlighted divisions between the developing and developed world. It also showed the seething anger in much of the Arab world against Zionism, the international movement that helped establish Israel.

Some countries, notably Pakistan and Syria, had wanted to state in a declaration that Israel's "foreign occupation" had given rise to racism in the Middle East. The U.S. and Israel alleged anti-Semitism was behind much of the anti-Israel rhetoric. They walked out in protest.

But African governments complained at the last conference that Western governments had chosen to highlight treatment of the Israeli issue as if it was the only one on the agenda.

South Africa, the host country, stopped short of calling U.S. President George Bush a racist, saying instead that he was not "anti-racist." Other African countries were upset that Britain and the West refused to overtly apologize for their support of centuries of slavery.

Last month, a prominent Israeli newspaper reported that Israeli diplomats were working behind the scenes to convince the Europeans, the U.S., and "like-minded" countries such as Canada, to boycott and even de-fund the conference.

B'nai Brith Canada and the Canadian Jewish Congress praised Canadian officials for pulling their support for the conference.

One side calls the racist card, and the other side defends by calling the racist card.... pssh.... that is pretty childish.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Right there we have it , there is to be one official state policy recognizing only one officially recognized flavour of rascism, that being Anti-Isreali, the only form of rascism we will be permitted to consider. It's time for this fascist pig government of Harpers to be driven out of Ottawa, before we're goose-steppin down our streets rounding up anyone who does not meet Isreals favour.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Right there we have it , there is to be one official state policy recognizing only one officially recognized flavour of rascism, that being Anti-Isreali, the only form of rascism we will be permitted to consider. It's time for this fascist pig government of Harpers to be driven out of Ottawa, before we're goose-steppin down our streets rounding up anyone who does not meet Israels favour.
Like it is already in Germany? I heard the ZdJ(translated roughly into Centre of Jewish Council; similar to what they have in the States) pretty much controls German politics. There, of course, I can understand it, because the Germans still have to hang their heads in guilt and shame, but Canada, an exemplary model-country for multi-culturalism, shouldn't have to be so narrow minded.
I can see, Harper wants to belong to the axis of the good... US, Israel, Britain!
Again, I will state my wish: Let us stay neutral and open-minded!!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Right there we have it , there is to be one official state policy recognizing only one officially recognized flavour of rascism, that being Anti-Isreali, the only form of rascism we will be permitted to consider. It's time for this fascist pig government of Harpers to be driven out of Ottawa, before we're goose-steppin down our streets rounding up anyone who does not meet Isreals favour.

Why does Harper get the blame for other countries acting like children and then deciding to pull out of the meetings which you clearly disagree with? Isn't that sort of a good thing?

The Anti-Israel / Pro-Israel crap was why they pulled out. As commented in the article, it seemed to have taken over the majority of the last meetings.

"(The conference) turned into a bit of a circus for intolerance and bigotry, particularly but not exclusively directed at the Jewish people,"

It wasn't just the Jewish aspects, but the collective of it all. The Anti-Israel stuff sorta was the worst out of it however.

Clearly as they explained, nothing good was coming out of these talks, so they pulled out. Makes sense to me.... why waste time?

Although.....

Last month, a prominent Israeli newspaper reported that Israeli diplomats were working behind the scenes to convince the Europeans, the U.S., and "like-minded" countries such as Canada, to boycott and even de-fund the conference.

Although they pointed this out, I seen no direct link to Canada's decision to pull out. It could have been for the above reasons quoted, which then I could see the Harper comment being valid, but then again, it could have also been for the first reasons posted in the article.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Why should Canada participate in a conference that seems to have no goal but to point at Israel and the West and say "You're racist" as though their excrement doesn't stink. It was a collosal waste of time and money the last time and they're smart for not wasting time and money on it again.