Edmonton Police take man down over belt buckle

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
edmontonsun.ca

By FRANK LANDRY

It must have been quite the belt buckle.
City cops descended upon City Hall shortly before noon yesterday after receiving an anonymous tip that a man was in one of the building's washrooms with a gun.
The weapon, it turned out, was an oversized belt buckle, shaped like a pistol.
Edmonton Police Service spokesman Jeff Wuite said the call came at about 11:40 a.m.
The tipster believed he had seen a suspicious-looking guy in the restroom with a firearm tucked into his belt, which he noticed as the man was tucking in his shirt.

fctAdTag("bigbox",MyGenericTagVar,1);

Cops responded and found a male matching the tipster's description. He was with two other people.
Police got the trio on the ground, cuffed and searched them.
"It appears that one of the males had a belt buckle that was shaped like a small gun," Wuite told Sun Media.
"At this point, there is no gun at City Hall."
Wuite said even though this call turned out to be bogus, cops take all firearms calls seriously.
"We don't want to take any chances," he said.
"We don't like to play around when firearms are involved."
There were no charges laid.
City Hall security declined to comment on the matter, referring questions to city police.
Sun Media photographer Perry Mah, who was at the scene, said he saw one male and one female being cuffed in the breezeway at the north entrance to City Hall. It's unclear where the third person was.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I bet he felt really smart for dressing all gangster, as he was lying face down on the ground with a knee in his back. lol.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
what would have been even funnier... if it was the Mayor or some big official...lol

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Funny, I was thinking of a big cowboy belt buckle myself, not gangsta..... most gangsta wannabes don't know what a belt is, lol

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Not paranoia: there was a call to the police of a gun. The caller presumably was credible, and gave an accurate description of the suspect. The police showed up, and caught the right person.

It turns out the person who called it in was wrong. Not the police.

What would have happened if there was a call in to the cops about a gun at city hall, the police did nothing and the person shot up a council meeting, killing several?

People need to answer that question before they condemn or dismiss either the caller or the police.

Plus, it is kinda stupid to have a gun shaped belt buckle and walk into a political building.

Pangloss

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Plus, it is kinda stupid to have a gun shaped belt buckle and walk into a political building.

Pangloss

unfortunalty... in this day and age. it is so true.... 30 yrs ago.it would have been a neat novelty item...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
No, jenn, it would have been stupid 30 years ago too. . .1977, a gun in a city council meeting? SWAT teams would have been called.

Pangloss

Seriously now, I have seen belt buckles shaped like pistols and the sort through my years, and I have seen people wearing them too.

What I think is kinda stupid in this situation though, is someone not thinking it was a belt buckle to begin with.

Who holsters a pistol directly over your crotch and on top of your clothing anyways? Most belt buckles I have seen in the past shaped like pistols and other firearms are shaped in a horizontal side view and are also usually one or two tones of color. Either Silver and Black or Gold and Black.

But besides that, if someone was going to really carry a gun to city hall, you'd think it'd be holstered in either the side, back or downwards/front in the crotch are (not suggested)..... rather then hovering over your wang, pointing to the left or right.

And this was in Alberta don't forget, how many different crazy belt buckles are out there being worn everyday?

Sure it's a safe call to make sure it wasn't a real gun, but perhaps next time they should open their eyes a bit better and see what's really there, rather then being distracted by the package below, like what happened to Jenn above ;)

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
oh..and in 77... no one would have thought it was a gun.. they would have thought it was a neat belt buckle.... there was not the out cry of hysteria over guns.... nowadays kids can't even play robbers and cops... <polically corrected over cowboys and indians> in a field anymore...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sure it's a safe call to make sure it wasn't a real gun, but perhaps next time they should open their eyes a bit better and see what's really there, rather then being distracted by the package below, like what happened to Jenn above ;)

I don't know... if I glanced a gun on someone, I'd look away and pretend I didn't see anything before scurrying off and phoning police. I wouldn't stare to make sure, and risk them realizing that I saw it. lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The moral of the story is, "Fashion Matters".

Darn rights. Tacky taste in belt buckles will get you tackled by cops (says the woman who just bought a brass knuckle shaped buckle for her brother for Christmas). lol.