More news on the Camrose Cat Cookers

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
edmontonsun.com

One of the four Camrose teens accused of microwaving a cat to death is on probation for setting his own brother on fire earlier this year, his mother told Sun Media yesterday.
None of the kids allegedly involved in the heinous Dec. 30 cat-cooking can be identified because they are minors: three are 15 and one is 13.
"It was an accident when he burned his brother," the distraught mother explained. "He was trying to throw the gasoline out and it caught fire."
Sources close to the family say the incident occurred when the teens were playing with gasoline around a campfire.
The younger brother spent several weeks in the burn unit at University hospital.

"He's been on probation for that since," the mother told Sun Media. "So when they charged him (in relation to the cat being killed in the microwave) he was arrested and is still in custody."
The other three teens charged in the case have been released into the custody of their parents until a court appearance next month.
According to the boy's mother, the others charged in the killing are two brothers, aged 15 and 13, and a third 15-year-old boy.
"My son had nothing to do with this," she insisted. "He was leaving the house ... when (the ringleader of the group of kids) began to put the cat in the microwave. He was terribly upset about what was about to happen. Only two of the four kids are really the ones behind this."
All four teens face a litany of charges stemming from two consecutive burglaries, on Dec. 29 and Dec. 30, at an empty Camrose home.
But relatives of some of the other accused claim two teens were not present on Dec. 29, when it was vandalized.
They say their boys took no part in the cat killing, having been lured to the house unaware on Dec. 30 by the other two teens who had been bragging about the vandalism they had done the night before.
That's when things went sideways and the cat was cooked, the family members claim.
"One of the boys there was crazy and my cousin didn't want to die," said a relative. "He told them to stop but they wouldn't."
Because two of the accused are brothers, three families are implicated in the crime, which is the talk of the community 94 km southeast of Edmonton.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

When I was a kid there weren't microwave ovens. People were still managing to find ways of brutalizing each other and their pets.... Nothing has changed only the technology.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh I know that Mikey. It's a godsend in a weird way... probably one of the fastest ways a teen could think to torture and kill a cat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seems to me most serial killers start with extreme cruelty to animals. A few years down the road when we have another serial killer, we should make sure we know where these little bast--ds are. This was not some boyish prank. That cat died in supreme agony.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Makes my skin crawl Juan.....

But hey.... we live in an atmosphere of fear and self-loathing.... how can we reasonably expect parents to teach their children "values" that can be as easily dismissed as torture is wrong...chemical warfare is wrong.....our governments lie to us to appease their lobbyists and campaign contributors and our "news" is full of school shootings and all kinds of many and various aberant behaviours...

Do you think it's likely that the frequency of these kinds of things has actually increased or is it more likely that "news-agencies" want to sell stories to TV and all forms of media to keep the "people" fearful and forever looking to their governments to take control of their lives...?

Are we really living in a time when portable video games sell billions on the basis of gratuitous violence and our children learn that it doesn't matter if you take steroids or intentionally assault each other during hockey games....or you can become "famous" for shooting your shoolmates....or you can't trust your governments and Police ....they'll look the other way when nooses are hung from trees and and and and.....

Maybe it's just the times we created and live-in....?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think you hit the nail on the head earlier Mikey.... when you were young, it was the same... only the technology's changed, and that includes how wide a net the media can cast.

I was scrolling through sites today looking for news to post. The articles I came across from one blog I check in on included headlines about a toddler being beaten to death by her sitter, a dog mauling a baby to death, a baby being thrown from a moving vehicle by car jackers, a tortured toddler recovering in hospital after suffering burns and spinal cord injuries from mom and boyfriend, and a 4 year old girl who hung herself accidentally with her own hair band.

It makes it feel like all of these atrocities are happening in your own town, when you can read every grisly detail with a mouse click.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What bothers me most Mikey, is what these "boys" will do with their lives. How did they get so far away from common decency without anyone noticing? Be no doubt interesting to examine the parents.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You don't need to examine the parents... their statements are right in the article... 'it wasn't my boy that did it'... 'my boy didn't mean to set his brother on fire'...

There's nothing quite so dangerous in my opinion as a parent who's not willing to be aware that, as human beings, their children (all children, no one can fool themselves) are capable of some pretty dark things. I'd probably assume my son was lying through his teeth about the whole thing until I had something to prove otherwise. That's not to say I'd walk away or not stand by him, but I certainly wouldn't be releasing excuses to the papers.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Somehow these boys got to their early teens without any noticeable human values. They were probably brought up by the television. The parents were likely unaware of any problems with their children until they cooked the cat alive, but I'm sure the signs were there for years if anybody wanted to look.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I highly doubt that Juan.

**I** Was brought up on television, television gives you some pretty damn good morals (or did in my day).

From the sounds of the parents they probably raised them (over protectively) every step of the way, just never admitting a problem.

Some people do have chemical imbalances from birth, for all we know the parents may think their son is good and cheerful because they only see him when he is. He could have some kind of bipolar disorder, alot can happen.

Thats not to say it couldn't be deadbeat parents, but alot of kids of bad parents turn out to be good people, and alot of good parents do all the right things and raise demonic children. Some of it is personal choice, and at 15 they are old enough to make their own mind, for most of human history 15 was adult lets not forget, they aren't babies. At 15 I was much the same person I am today (only with more teenage hormones, which unless you got some wires crossed won't lead to animal torture)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
According to most of the psychology sh!t I've read, most serial killers, sexual sadists, et al, started life by being cruel to animals, starting fires, and peeping in windows.

Most came from broken homes, most lived in several foster homes, or,at their natural homes, were brutalized by their parent or parent's live in.

If kids don't get a structured, loving home by the time they're about 6, they're mostly fkuced. Too bad.

No conscience, empathy, couldn't care less.

I vote we shoot that little fukker who nuked the cat and save society a bundle of time and money in the future................whadyasay??:cool: Tony gets the contract.

Little bastards. Future Willy Pictons and Ted Bundys.

:glasses2:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I highly doubt that Juan.

**I** Was brought up on television, television gives you some pretty damn good morals (or did in my day).

From the sounds of the parents they probably raised them (over protectively) every step of the way, just never admitting a problem.

Some people do have chemical imbalances from birth, for all we know the parents may think their son is good and cheerful because they only see him when he is. He could have some kind of bipolar disorder, alot can happen.

Thats not to say it couldn't be deadbeat parents, but alot of kids of bad parents turn out to be good people, and alot of good parents do all the right things and raise demonic children. Some of it is personal choice, and at 15 they are old enough to make their own mind, for most of human history 15 was adult lets not forget, they aren't babies. At 15 I was much the same person I am today (only with more teenage hormones, which unless you got some wires crossed won't lead to animal torture)

Kids end up doing all sorts of crazy things when they are ignored by their parents and brought up by the tv. There are lots of things on television that young kids shouldn't be watching. Parents have to be involved in their children's lives or wires can get crossed.
Having already raised two decent children I know where the problems are. If I were starting out again now I would throw the television out with the other garbage.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
According to most of the psychology sh!t I've read, most serial killers, sexual sadists, et al, started life by being cruel to animals, starting fires, and peeping in windows.

Most came from broken homes, most lived in several foster homes, or,at their natural homes, were brutalized by their parent or parent's live in.

If kids don't get a structured, loving home by the time they're about 6, they're mostly fkuced. Too bad.

No conscience, empathy, couldn't care less.

I vote we shoot that little fukker who nuked the cat and save society a bundle of time and money in the future................whadyasay??:cool: Tony gets the contract.

Little bastards. Future Willy Pictons and Ted Bundys.

:glasses2:
Couldn't have put it better Nuggler......

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Kids end up doing all sorts of crazy things when they are ignored by their parents and brought up by the tv. There are lots of things on television that young kids shouldn't be watching. Parents have to be involved in their children's lives or wires can get crossed.
Having already raised two decent children I know where the problems are. If I were starting out again now I would throw the television out with the other garbage.

And gets get their wires crossed if their parents get involved as well. Lots of serial killers have loving parents.

Lets go back to your example. Although they are probably good an decent children, you really don't know that. Every parent thinks they know their children, but then their child turns out to be something merely secret (like gay, a transgender), or have a problem (Drugs, drinking, an abusive relationship) or dark (sexual predatations, serial killer).

No matter how well you raise your kid, you aren't programming them like machines. People don't work that way. Not only does their free will matter more than your teaching, but unless you lock them in a basement their friends will influence their life far more than you will in their formative years.

Thats part of the human condition. You can only do so much as a parent.

No doubt the kid's mother is 100% sure she is just as right as you are about your children, and this her kid is 100% decent.

Reactions: karrie

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"And gets get their wires crossed if their parents get involved as well. Lots of serial killers have loving parents."ZZarchov

Nope, don't think so Z. Although there might be an exception which proves the rule, write up a list of serial killers and check their pasts. Pretty scary stuff.

:cool:

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I just don't understand how kids get these ideas! It's sickening. The worst part is the parents don't want to deal with it so these kids are going to get off with nothing more than 'Don't do it again kids' Which really means don't get caught next time!