Punishment should fit the crime

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
An impaired truck driver hit a car and killed a whole family. In light of how our court system extracted the last drop of blood from Robert Latimer recently, can we expect this guy to serve some serious time?
Home

document.write(dateTranslator.displayLong('December 8, 2007 12:00:00 AM MST')); Saturday, December 8, 2007
Calgary police charge cement truck driver after crash that killed five
THE CANADIAN PRESS
CALGARY - Calgary police have laid six charges against the driver of a cement truck after a horrific crash that killed two adults and three children.
"He now faces six criminal charges, five in relation to dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, and one charge of refusing to provide a breath sample," Insp. Guy Slater said Saturday.

adtag.display(72);[FONT=arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

A cement truck collided with a mid-sized car that was stopped at a red light about 7 p.m. Friday, police allege. The car was lodged underneath the truck and was pushed for almost 300 metres, police said.
Temperatures were relatively warm at the time and roads were mainly dry. Excessive speed and alcohol are believed to have played a role in the crash, said Slater.
"However, the full details will be the subject of the traffic investigation which is currently under way," he said.

"(Investigators) will be assessing witness statements, as well as the survey of the crash scene, to assess how fast the vehicles were travelling at the time of impact, and what other factors may have been involved."
All five occupants of the car, a 41-year-old man, a 33-year-old woman, girls aged six and nine, and a 16-month-old boy, were pronounced dead at the scene.
http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=home&articleID=2835159

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What a horrible thing. Unless he intended to run them down and kill them, second degree is as far as it goes.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Unfortunately...since it was with a vehicle...it won't even be that.:angryfire: As far as I'm concerned, as soon as alcohol, or any other drug is involved, it should automatically be 2nd degree murder. None of this "manslaughter" ****e.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
As far as I am concerned it should be 1st degree murder if he was impaired. He decided to take a drink even if he knew it was against the law he still drank. When are we going to stop minimizing drunk driving? There is one bas**** here in town who got drunk, took is girlfriend's car with her permission (she was at work) and killed two children 8 and 10 yrs. old, they were brother and sister. He is a many time over repeat offender and all he got was 9 years. Where is the justice here?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
An impaired truck driver hit a car and killed a whole family. In light of how our court system extracted the last drop of blood from Robert Latimer recently, can we expect this guy to serve some serious time?
Home

document.write(dateTranslator.displayLong('December 8, 2007 12:00:00 AM MST')); Saturday, December 8, 2007
Calgary police charge cement truck driver after crash that killed five
THE CANADIAN PRESS
CALGARY - Calgary police have laid six charges against the driver of a cement truck after a horrific crash that killed two adults and three children.
"He now faces six criminal charges, five in relation to dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, and one charge of refusing to provide a breath sample," Insp. Guy Slater said Saturday.

adtag.display(72);[FONT=arial,sans-serif] [/FONT]

A cement truck collided with a mid-sized car that was stopped at a red light about 7 p.m. Friday, police allege. The car was lodged underneath the truck and was pushed for almost 300 metres, police said.
Temperatures were relatively warm at the time and roads were mainly dry. Excessive speed and alcohol are believed to have played a role in the crash, said Slater.
"However, the full details will be the subject of the traffic investigation which is currently under way," he said.

"(Investigators) will be assessing witness statements, as well as the survey of the crash scene, to assess how fast the vehicles were travelling at the time of impact, and what other factors may have been involved."
All five occupants of the car, a 41-year-old man, a 33-year-old woman, girls aged six and nine, and a 16-month-old boy, were pronounced dead at the scene.
http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=home&articleID=2835159

From what I heard reported he refused to give a breath sample which basically results in a charge the same as an over-the-limit breathalyzer result.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I know that intersection very well. The speeds there are insane. The 2A slows down to 80 there, from 110, but it's not unusual to see vehicles traveling at 130 still as they go through that intersection.

I'd agree with what gerry said, 5 counts of second degree.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
As far as I am concerned it should be 1st degree murder if he was impaired. He decided to take a drink even if he knew it was against the law he still drank. When are we going to stop minimizing drunk driving? There is one bas**** here in town who got drunk, took is girlfriend's car with her permission (she was at work) and killed two children 8 and 10 yrs. old, they were brother and sister. He is a many time over repeat offender and all he got was 9 years. Where is the justice here?

Canadian justice is generally quite light. Consider that the jury in the Picton case is currently deciding on sentencing and that their decision is when to allow parole (sometime after ten years and before twenty-five years). Picton may have killed as many as 50 people deliberately and could potentially be out on parole in ten years.

How are we minimizing drunk driving? Police spot checks (RIDE programs) pop up unnexpectedly and I even saw on this morning at 7:15 AM apparently to catch people driving home after a night of drinking. I don't think there has ever been a time when drunk driving was as serious an offence as it is now.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Considering even a cement truck driver makes his living on the road, he should have more respect than average Joe Steering Wheel. I say this as a former heavy hauler with over a million miles logged safely under my butt. Murder in the second degree times five.

Woof!

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Another bit I heard tonight was that this jerk was seen by a female witness. Apparently there is one of those signs on the back of the cement truck that says something like, "If this vehicle is being driven irresponsibly, call this number", or words to that effect. The witness dutifully called the number and was in the process of telling whoever answered that the driver of the truck was driving erratically and speeding when she suddenly reported that the truck had just gone through a red light and smashed into a car. This witness called 911.

His ass is toast with any luck......

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Sparrow:

1st degree is for those who plan to murder, and usually to murder a particular person. Second degree also has a measure of intent behind it; it is manslaughter when there was no plan or intent to kill.

It does not mean, however, that this idiot might not spend the next quarter century behind bars.

Personally, I think killed is killed, and find the argument for "state of mind" not terribly persuasive. This bozo, if he was drinking or stoned or otherwise impaired while driving a cement truck, made the decision to be careless with a cement truck - surely a deadly choice.

Forfeit all his belongings and work the next 25 years on a prison farm - hard labour and for no pay.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Canadian justice is generally quite light. Consider that the jury in the Picton case is currently deciding on sentencing and that their decision is when to allow parole (sometime after ten years and before twenty-five years). Picton may have killed as many as 50 people deliberately and could potentially be out on parole in ten years.

How are we minimizing drunk driving? Police spot checks (RIDE programs) pop up unnexpectedly and I even saw on this morning at 7:15 AM apparently to catch people driving home after a night of drinking. I don't think there has ever been a time when drunk driving was as serious an offence as it is now.

Dude:

I want what you're smoking if you think Pickton (not Picton, as you wrote) will ever see the light of day or breathe free air ever again.

Pangloss

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
y be out on parole in ten years.

Not to put too fine a point one it, but, we are minimizing it, because: People who have got caught drinking and driving, sooner or later, get their license back and drink and drive again. In my world, they would not. Moreover it they refused the mandatory counseling and alcohol withdrawl asssistance my government would demand they take,(and provide free of charge), they would do at least 5 years.

But; they would never again drive. Sorry. "You're an asshole, and someday you're going to kill someone, and no more license for you!! "...........You get caught driving after these conditions have been imposed you do 10 years, and Bubba, the smelly 300 lb. pervert is your cellmate.

WE ARE NOT SERIOUS ABOUT IT. THE FREAKIN BOOZE COMPANIES MUST HAVE THE POLITICOS BY THE BALLS SOMEHOW.

:read2:anyway, just thought I'd run that by ya, FWIW.