Pickton: Found Guilty - Second Degree

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Six counts of second degree, plus new trials for twenty more charges. The judge can still sentence him as a dangerous offender, meaning no parole. I don't think he'll breathe the free air anytime soon.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Six counts of second degree, plus new trials for twenty more charges. The judge can still sentence him as a dangerous offender, meaning no parole. I don't think he'll breathe the free air anytime soon.
I am not a supporter of capital punishment, but I could make a case for this mans destruction.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Don't dangerous offenders still get parole hearings? I don't think he will ever see the light of day again but the families will have to revisit this from time to time, through parole denial hearings.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, I misspoke. They do get parole hearings, but they can be kept indefinitely, so there is no mandatory parole, even if the sentence is less than a life sentence.

bluecollarguy

Jul 9, 2007
New Westminster B.C.
I am satisfied with the verdict even though I think it should have been 1st degree.
And yes it make a strong case for Capital punishment! But so did the Olsen trial.
I do hope he doesn't see the light of day in his life time but I also dont think he was the only one involved.
My heart goes out to the family's.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well that's good news. He's out of the way and can't hurt anyone again and I think that's the main thing. I expect he'll be given dangerous offender status and we can put the lid on him for the duration. The only other thing I would hope for is for him to get put into super max and isolated from everyone. That's really perfect for driving him crazy and puts the punishment into the sentence.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
According to the CBC the jury first responded to the 1st degree charge with "not guilty". The courtroom gasped as many believed it meant he got off. Then the second degree charge was read.

It must've been a heart stopper.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
He'll probably get several consecutive life sentences and be declared a dangerous offender. He will die in prison.

That's just my opinion, and the only difference between my opinion and yours, is that you don't have losers stalking you!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't suppose there is any chance Pickton will be in the general prison population..........I hate to see good money wasted to keep the bastard alive...

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
One: I'm not sure that he fits into the legal category of "dangerous offender"; I think that is for sexual assault and similar crimes.

Two: I think the conditions for a "dangerous offender" and second-degree murder, especially multiple counts, and not that different, from what I've read.

Third: Canada has provisions for concurrent, overlapping and consecutive sentencing.

Fourth: The NPB could, if it chooses, keep Pickton behind bars forever.

Pangloss

Fifth: I'm not a lawyer, so I could have all of this wrong.