Rape Victim's Sentence Doubled

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
By The Associated Press

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi court sentenced a woman who was gang raped to six months in jail and 200 lashes - more than doubling her initial penalty for being in the car of a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported Thursday.
The decision by the Qatif General Court came in a case that had sparked rare debate about the kingdom's justice system when it surfaced more than a year ago.
In its decision Wednesday, the court also roughly doubled prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping the 19-year-old woman, the Arab News reported on its English-language website.
Arab News reported the court said the woman's punishment was increased because of "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media."
She had initially been sentenced to 90 lashes after being convicting of violating rigid laws on segregation of the sexes.
Under Saudi Arabia's interpretation of Islamic Sharia law, women are not allowed in public in the company of men other than their male relatives.
The initial sentences for the men convicted of the gang rape ranged from 10 months to five years in prison. Their new sentences range from two to nine years, the paper said.
The attack took place in 2006. The woman has said it occurred as she tried to retrieve her picture from a male high school student she used to know. While in the car with the student, two men climbed into the vehicle and drove to a secluded area. She said she was raped by seven men, three of whom also attacked her friend.
Reports of the story triggered debate about Saudi Arabia's legal system, in which judges have wide discretion in punishing a criminal, rules of evidence are shaky and sometimes no defence lawyers are present. The result, critics say, are sentences left to the whim of judges.
The woman was identified in the media only as the Girl from Qatif. The case was referred back to the General Court by an appeals court last summer, after the woman's lawyer argued the verdict was too lenient for the rapists and unjust for the victim.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, the only consolation to me is that it means doubling the penalties for the others as well. And theirs add up to a lot more.

It's a twistedly brilliant way to ensure that the legal matters of your country stay within your own country and aren't made international news.

(Oh, and to clarify, feel free to add whatever color to my text that helps you see that my words are dripping with venomous contempt that I hope need not be spoke, at those who would jail and beat a rape victim)

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What exactly is the problem here? The rapists got 2 to9 years in prison, and I doubt a Saudi prison is comparable to Canadian Prisons( also known as Club Fed).

One must remember, Saudis use a form of Sharia Law. The people of Saudi Arabia are brought up under this law. She was born into and brought up under this law. She knew the consequences of her actions(and I don't mean the rape), it should not have been a surprise. Just like the increase in her sentence from 3 months to 6 months should not have been a surprise. Saudi Arabia is NOT North America, and criticizing the judicial system for upholding the law of the country is not something that can be done without consequences.

Many people, here in North America, scream blody murder when it is even hinted that Muslim immigrants want or should be allowed to have Sharia Law here.The answer is always "This is Canada, you want Sharia law go back to where you come from". Yet, I see here that people are critisizing and judging a Muslim countries Laws based on our own.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I understand that, but why should we not be seriously protesting this vigorously regardless of their sovereignty. We have values too and one is not to look away but to stand against that treatment.

That is a basic human right that we recognize and bestowed upon all of our own. We as a country should not remain silent and voice and official statement denouncing this sentence.

If Saudi Arabia is a partner in trade, ally in war and strategic partner in the region, then they should bloody well consider the sensibilities of the other nations that associate with them. I don't say they should become Americans, but they should refrain from and modernize the harshest of their laws to better reflect the value they place in that kinship.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Some things maybe we could stand to take a look into and see what are the best practices that Saudi has and see where it fits into our own. You see that all over though in the cultural exchange. I don't think we would be adopting any harsh and outragious laws though.

We do have many considerations of their laws and culture though.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
again I ask....what rights have been trampled?

eta: Unf seems to have posed the same question very succinctly, but this was my reaction to your post too

gerryh - your question - it sounds like you're assuming that all laws are just.

-...what of the unwritten law of humanity? The law that separates us by a very thin line from acting like barbarians without soul or compassion - that one that inherently tells us that no one should be victimized for being a victim?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
again I ask....what rights have been trampled?
Okay, here's the HUGE problem I have with their system note the quote:
Arab News reported the court said the woman's punishment was increased because of "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media."
Her right to plead her case before the public and in fact try to get one step closer to equality have been trampled.

Sharia law is an archaic law guarding the men's right to own women as property basically. It is all about control.

Change can not be made if one is afraid to speak out and that is the message clearly being sent here. Speak out and punishment will ensue.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
eta: Unf seems to have posed the same question very succinctly, but this was my reaction to your post too

gerryh - your question - it sounds like you're assuming that all laws are just.

-...what of the unwritten law of humanity? The law that separates us by a very thin line from acting like barbarians without soul or compassion - that one that inherently tells us that no one should be victimized for being a victim?

She wasn't punished for being a victim. She was punished for an infraction that happened at around the same time. She wasn't punished for being raped. She was punished for breaking one of their laws about going into a car with a guy who wasn't a relative. This is not a concept she would not have understood.

From what I see, the inaliable human rights seems to be a western philosophy and not necessarly a worldwide concept.