Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ahhhhhh......:lol:

When the U.S. Navy deploys a battle fleet on exercises, it takes the security of its aircraft carriers very seriously indeed.

At least a dozen warships provide a physical guard while the technical wizardry of the world's only military superpower offers an invisible shield to detect and deter any intruders.

That is the theory. Or, rather, was the theory.

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise and close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk - a 1,000ft supercarrier with 4,500 personnel on board.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=492804&in_page_id=1811

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That would take a lot of guts. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a Chinese sub surfacing next to a US aircraft carrier.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and the first game of the new Cold War has begun with the Chinese scoring the first victory.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That would take a lot of guts. I'm not sure I'd want to be in a Chinese sub surfacing next to a US aircraft carrier.

The ones that should have been scared are the 4500 souls on board the KittyHawk because by the time that sub showed itself and surfaced, everyone knew that the KittyHawk COULD have been singing "Yo Ho HO and a Bottle of Rum" while taking up permanent residence in Davey Jones Locker.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Perhaps this will be seen as a wake up call by the US. The Chinese may have unwittingly shown the US a hole in their chain, which I'm positive will now be addressed. Is this the beginning of a new buildup?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm not sure I'd want to be on a US Aircraft carrier next to a surfacing Chinese sub....

Gotta give the Chinese credit. I imagine that event gave Americans cause to rethink their strategy against the Chinese. In a real war that aircraft carrier would have been sunk.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Okay ... now there are two great big holes.... Four airplanes went rogue in the world's most-watched airspace and now a stranger pops up in Uncle Sam's bathtub.... Guess there is still some learning to be done....

Woof!

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The odds of man landing on the sun are better but I wonder what the chances are that the sub strayed into that area, while submerged, and didn't even know where they were?

If the attack subs missed them, perhaps they missed the entire battle group. Maybe their technology has been given too much credit?

3-2-1 blast-off!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The odds of man landing on the sun are better but I wonder what the chances are that the sub strayed into that area, while submerged, and didn't even know where they were?

If the attack subs missed them, perhaps they missed the entire battle group. Maybe their technology has been given too much credit?

3-2-1 blast-off!

Well...you can continue to hope.:roll::lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Okay ... now there are two great big holes.... Four airplanes went rogue on 9/11 and now a stranger pops up in Uncle Sam's bathtub.... Guess there is still some learning to be done....

Woof!

Also, don't forget about the.......um, aliens back in '47.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The ones that should have been scared are the 4500 souls on board the KittyHawk because by the time that sub showed itself and surfaced, everyone knew that the KittyHawk COULD have been singing "Yo Ho HO and a Bottle of Rum" while taking up permanent residence in Davey Jones Locker.

Actually, not so. Certainly the sub could have seriously damaged the Kitty Hawk, but i doubt it could have sunk her......these things are severely over-engineered, with triple hulls, just to start......I remember reading once that in war games, the US Navy considered only a nuke capable of sinking a carrier.

Now that is probably taking over-confidence to an extreme........but I doubt a single conventionally armed sub could sink her before being blown into sea sand...........

Was the sub nuclear or diesel-electric? I know our old Oberon class subs drove the US Navy nuts because they ran so quiet on electrics, and in war games pulled off the same sort of thing......sneaking up on carriers.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Actually, not so. Certainly the sub could have seriously damaged the Kitty Hawk, but i doubt it could have sunk her......these things are severely over-engineered, with triple hulls, just to start......I remember reading once that in war games, the US Navy considered only a nuke capable of sinking a carrier.

Now that is probably taking over-confidence to an extreme........but I doubt a single conventionally armed sub could sink her before being blown into sea sand...........

Was the sub nuclear or diesel-electric? I know our old Oberon class subs drove the US Navy nuts because they ran so quiet on electrics, and in war games pulled off the same sort of thing......sneaking up on carriers.

It was deisel-Electric, and the Bismark was considered unbeatable and unsinkable.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Apparently the latest version of that class of submarine is very quiet when running on batteries. I'm sure their unannounced appearance was not an accident. It was more like a statement.

By the way, that's the second time this type of Chinese submarine has moved within weapons range undetected of this same battle group.

...A Chinese Song-class diesel attack submarine shadowed the USS Kitty Hawk Task Force undetected until it surfaced five miles from the Task Force on October 26, 2006 in waters off Okinawa, Japan. Unnamed defense officials told the Washington Times, November 15, 2006, that it is believed the Chinese submarine was conducting tracking and targeting maneuvers designed to attack U.S. aircraft carriers, which the Pentagon recently identified as the primary focus of China’s People’s Liberation Army’s Navy (PLAN) given their emphasis on specific weapon platform acquisitions including long-range, precision guided anti-ship cruise missiles, or ‘carrier killers’ in their annual report to Congress. The Song-class submarine is known to be equipped with Russian-made wake-homing torpedoes and anti-ship cruise missiles, according to the Washington Times.
“It would be pure conjecture to assume that the battle group commander was surprised by the appearance of the Chinese Song-class submarine in those particular waters off Okinawa, that the force ASW (anti-submarine warfare) readiness status was not alert, or that China’s diesel submarine tactics are well defined. The surfacing may very well have been merely a ‘poke-in-the-eye’ signal that he had achieved a vantage position on the force, and that he had best reveal himself before the force initiated deadly counter action. [The Chinese sub commander] had made his point,” Vice Admiral Bernard “Bud” Kauderer, USN (ret.), a member of the JINSA Board of Advisors and a former Commander of Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet, said.
The fact that a Chinese submarine went undetected until it surfaced within weapons range of a U.S. carrier was described as provocative and could have resulted in “a miscalculation,” said Admiral William Fallon, head of U.S. Pacific Command, according to the Times.
http://www.jinsa.org/articles/artic...4/documentid/3652/history/3,2360,656,164,3652

The purpose of this type of submarine is to destroy aircraft carriers.

Once might have been luck. But twice proves a capability. Maybe the Chinese just tethered this sub to the Kitty hawk and they've been towing it all this time.

Song Class Submarine Technical Specification
http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/sub/type039song.asp

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Ok so maybe they knew they were there. Now we should return the favour and send them a copy of "The art of war". Are there any Chinese translations of that book? :)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
It was deisel-Electric, and the Bismark was considered unbeatable and unsinkable.

Side note: The Bismark was unsinkable for its time, Its own crew scuttled her once its guns were blown off and its propulsion crippled by a lucky torpedo.

They didn't want the brits refurbishing the boat and turning it against them.