Israel detroys suspected nuclear reactor in Syria

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
By DAVID E. SANGER and MARK MAZZETTI
Published: October 14, 2007
WASHINGTON, Oct. 13 — Israel’s air attack on Syria last month was directed against a site that Israeli and American intelligence analysts judged was a partly constructed nuclear reactor, apparently modeled on one North Korea has used to create its stockpile of nuclear weapons fuel, according to American and foreign officials with access to the intelligence reports.
The description of the target addresses one of the central mysteries surrounding the Sept. 6 attack, and suggests that Israel carried out the raid to demonstrate its determination to snuff out even a nascent nuclear project in a neighboring state. The Bush administration was divided at the time about the wisdom of Israel’s strike, American officials said, and some senior policy makers still regard the attack as premature.
The attack on the reactor project has echoes of an Israeli raid more than a quarter century ago, in 1981, when Israel destroyed the Osirak nuclear reactor in Iraq shortly before it was to have begun operating. That attack was officially condemned by the Reagan........

http://tinyurl.com/2wnoxw

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Although I do not place much stock in the American intel machine, the Israelis have been know to be right on the button more then once.

I don't see this as a bad move, it sure didn't stir up any shyte, me thinks the bad guys knew they were in the wrong, or they would have made their feelings of hurt well known.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Israel has a dozen nuclear reactors. Why are they allowed to destroy the property of other countries? That it actually was a nuclear reactor is a bit foggy to say the least.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Israel has a dozen nuclear reactors. Why are they allowed to destroy the property of other countries? That it actually was a nuclear reactor is a bit foggy to say the least.

I suspect it's because such countries don't believe the Jewish state should exsist. I doubt Isreal will use such weapons unless otherwise attacked......could you say the same for syria and Iran?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For one, Israel has not stated that it wishes to wipe Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebonan, Egypt or anyother country off the map...

Can the same be said of those that would attack Israel on her inagural birthday?

Oh ya...did I mention the looney meatheads running some of those countries?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I suspect it's because such countries don't believe the Jewish state should exsist. I doubt Isreal will use such weapons unless otherwise attacked......could you say the same for syria and Iran?
You do realise that this is the second time today, you and I ave said virtually the samething don't you?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Israel is our ally, politically, ideologically, and militarily. It is a liberal democracy, an island of freedom in a sea of anti-western tyrannies, all aching to destroy her.

Israel does not usually risk valuable military assets without a goal.

Syria, like Iran, must be prevented access to nuclear weapons no matter what the cost.

If Israel had spared the reactor in Iraq, the Middle East would be a single pan-Arab state, ruled by Saddam Hussein....

Or a glass parking lot.

Good for Israel.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Israel is our ally, politically, ideologically, and militarily. It is a liberal democracy, an island of freedom in a sea of anti-western tyrannies, all aching to destroy her.

Israel does not usually risk valuable military assets without a goal.

Syria, like Iran, must be prevented access to nuclear weapons no matter what the cost.

If Israel had spared the reactor in Iraq, the Middle East would be a single pan-Arab state, ruled by Saddam Hussein....

Or a glass parking lot.

Good for Israel.

Don't pretend Isreal isn't guilty of it's own crimes.

This ongoing problem has been perpitrated by both sides.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Because it's Israel. Since the Europeans decided that it was a good idea to take Arab land and make Israel out of it (in order to get those Jewish refugees out of Europe), we've always had to subscribe to the idea that anything said against Israel is picking on those poor Holocaust survivors.

Right or wrong, we are required to support Israel, and all that they do. Those are the rules.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Because it's Israel. Since the Europeans decided that it was a good idea to take Arab land and make Israel out of it (in order to get those Jewish refugees out of Europe), we've always had to subscribe to the idea that anything said against Israel is picking on those poor Holocaust survivors.

Right or wrong, we are required to support Israel, and all that they do. Those are the rules.

Is it also the rule to support terror and fundamentalism?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

I'm not 100% certain but I strongly suspect Israel and Syria are officially in a state of war. Have been for decades.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Don't pretend Isreal isn't guilty of it's own crimes.

This ongoing problem has been perpitrated by both sides.

Israel most certainly is guilty of some things.....

The Israeli Arab population is treated very much as second-class citizens.

But even at that they are much better off than many of their Arab brethern in neighbouring countries ruled by fellow Arabs.

Much of the Arab population of Israel (about 750,000) left in 1948, some of them ejected, or forced to flee by Jewish terrorists.

At the same time, about 800,000 Jews were pushed out of Arab countries......most lucky to escape with their lives.

Israel is far from perfect, or even just all the time. If she were, as a nation, she would have ceased to exist decades ago.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

Because Israel is and has been at a state of war with Syria for some time? War does involve shooting each other you know. Its why we were "allowed" to blow up German property, and the same reason we were "allowed" to burn down the white house.

IF you really want to stop them, go and try it. Its like asking "Who allowed Rome to conquer the Gauls?". Rome did.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Because Israel is and has been at a state of war with Syria for some time? War does involve shooting each other you know. Its why we were "allowed" to blow up German property, and the same reason we were "allowed" to burn down the white house.

IF you really want to stop them, go and try it. Its like asking "Who allowed Rome to conquer the Gauls?". Rome did.

There is no official "State of War". Israel, with the backing of that other terrorist state, the U.S., does exactly what she wants and if you don't believe in that status quo, you are a Nazi. As is anyone who criticizes Israel. Israel is an ally of Israel and only Israel.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
Just amazes me how people can back Israel because they are a so called allie, and slam/attack most other middleeast countries simply because they are not close allies to the USA or the West.

On of these times Israel will bite off more than they can chew, and I just hope Canada stays the hell out of the situation and let them fight their own battles. Maybe peace would actually reign in the Middleeast if Israel lost for a change.