Cancer Research "Heroes"

I came across a very interesting article in the Globe & Mail today...

The news that a professional hockey player - Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jason Blake - has cancer was bound to generate headlines......

While much attention has been paid to the fate of the 34-year-old star hockey player, too little attention has been paid to the real stars of this story - the researchers who made Mr. Blake's treatment possible....

In the nondescript building on Toronto's hospital row, you will find one of the world's finest scientists: Tony Pawson is a microbiologist who has revolutionized the understanding of signal transduction - the way in which cells communicate...

But what is happening in Dr. Pawson's laboratory - and countless other labs around the country - is infinitely more important than what goes on in hockey arenas.
Yet Mr. Blake is paid $4-million a year. He is, for a large segment of the population, a household name. A role model and a hero, even.
Though he has forever changed the face of cancer treatment, Dr. Pawson gets paid considerably less. He has to scrounge around for grants to ensure he can keep his lab running. Beyond a fairly closed circle of scientists, he is unknown. Young boys and girls are not waiting outside his office for an autograph....

It is a strange value system that results in sellouts every night at the Air Canada Centre and millions of viewers for games on TV while, at the same time, investment in scientific research is stagnating and even the über-gifted, such as Tony Pawson, toil in anonymity.

I think this is an excellent article. It really makes you think. Why do we idolize people just because they happen to be good at sports, but the people who try to do good in the world, for example trying to cure diseases in order to save lives, get very little recognition and respect? I don't know about you, but if I had the choice between getting Dr. Pawson's autograph or Jason Blake's autograph, I'd take Dr. Pawsons. I am glad that he is getting the recognition he deserves, but there are thousands of other researchers out there like him who deserve credit and deserve our respect. I'd like to give kudos to all of them...
Good post. It's true. Everyone's raising millions of dollars for research yet some of the best scientists in the world attempting to create breakthrough treatments can't find funding.
They're unsung heroes. It's good to be reminded gc.
Almost forgot the link. Here it is: Link
Good article. On a side note, do you really think a cure would be made public for cancer? After all the money that the pharmaceutical companies etc make, it's not to their advantage to have one. I've seen too much cancer in my lifetime.
Quote: Originally Posted by BrinkleyView Post

Good article. On a side note, do you really think a cure would be made public for cancer? After all the money that the pharmaceutical companies etc make, it's not to their advantage to have one. I've seen too much cancer in my lifetime.

Ever heard of Dr Sam Chachoua?

A Victory for Life and Truth
Dr. Sam Chachoua defeats Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in an American Federal Court. The jury awarded this Australian doctor over $10,000,000 in damages after hearing of the conspiracy to suppress and destroy him and his new field of medicine described as promising to be "THE MOST EFFECTIVE THERAPY AGAINST CANCER AND AIDS IN HISTORY." NBC NEWS (AUGUST, 2000)
The Verdict

August 11, 2000
After eight days of trial and two days of jury deliberation, a milestone in legal justice was achieved. The people spoke in a Los Angeles federal court and their voice rocked a system that had thought itself invincible. (external - login to view)

Dr. Sam Chachoua's breakthrough and its suppression--update:

(Explore Issue: Volume 10, Number 2)
We received a large response to our article on Dr. Sam Chachoua from our last issue. The story was so poignant and finally represented a victory against the evil of organized medicine that writer Joel Black's final comment was deleted as it cast a gloomy anticipation of ongoing suppression and did not fit with the hopes and triumphs of the main article.
He had ended the original article by pointing out that the mere fact that no one knew of the court victory, that Cedars Sinai could inhibit the media from reporting such a momentous event did not bode well for the future of the court success. How powerful does one need to be to silence the world media?
Sadly his words were prophetic. Cedars begged the judge to reduce the judgment, citing amongst other reasons, "that their insurance would not cover it" and crying poverty. The judge obliged. The story is far from over, however. We are committed to providing greater detail of the case and of the life saving therapy. This latest bulletin from an international correspondent serves to show the scope and reach of this situation.
We have always dreamt and prayed for a solution to deadly diseases. Now that our prayers have been answered, do we dare continue sleeping? With the silence of both medical and lay publications the cure for cancer and AIDS may soon become just a distant memory. We can not allow that to happen. For the full article of Dr. Chachoua story "Search for Hope" call Explore Publications at 1800-320-6036 and order this issue Volume 10 No. 2.
Anyone wishing to reach Dr. Sam Chachoua, please contact (external - login to view) directly. (external - login to view)

some more articles on this amazing Australian...... (external - login to view) (external - login to view) (external - login to view) (external - login to view) (external - login to view)
no new posts