Gays 'buy' twins

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Here we go.

A MELBOURNE gay couple have travelled to the US to buy "designer twin boys" through a surrogate mother at a cost of up to $133,000.
Brian Sheldon and Matthew Shaffer are one of several gay Victorian couples taking advantage of California's liberal IVF laws.
The couple ordered the two babies -- even choosing their preferred sex, male -- through US IVF pioneer Dr Jeffrey Steinberg.
The Australian Family Association believed it was tantamount to "trafficking in children", while the two fathers yesterday defended their decision to start a family.

More:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22582161-2862,00.html

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Would this be news if it was one of the thousands of surrogacies done by hetro couples?

Maybe it's my age, but I am not comfortable with this. I'm not going to picket them or anything but is this the best thing for the babies?

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
It probably made the news because the couple was gay but I am concerned about the exchange of cash for children no matter what the SO of the couple.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It probably made the news because the couple was gay but I am concerned about the exchange of cash for children no matter what the SO of the couple.

So then you don't believe in the practice of surrogate parents? I think it is a wonderful marvel that another person can help a couple with fertility problems have a kid.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In the Bible, Moses and Esther were raised by surrogate parents. Therefore, this couple may use surrogates as well without violating any religious principles.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Maybe it's my age, but I am not comfortable with this. I'm not going to picket them or anything but is this the best thing for the babies?

and what would your concerns for the baby's be?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So then you don't believe in the practice of surrogate parents? I think it is a wonderful marvel that another person can help a couple with fertility problems have a kid.

No, its worse than that. I have no problem with surrogate parents. I'm more a little uncomfortable having new babies raised by gay males. I'm sure my age has a lot to do with it. I grew up in a time when we weren't nearly so liberal about these things. Cash for children to gay male parents sticks in my craw somehow. The gay males I have known never had a relationship last for more than a year or two.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
My favourite teacher in high school was gay and he was with his partner until the partner died. They were together for so many years and yet could not marry and were not allowed to have children. Their 'partnership' lasted longer than most marriages.

As an adult, I saw this teacher again when he and his partner happened to have the same night subscription tickets to the Royal Alex as I had. I couldn't believe that he would remember me after so many years had gone by, but he did.

This man was one of the kindest men I have ever known. Why should he not have had the chance to marry and raise children? I imagine that he would have been one of the best possible fathers around. He certainly was an amazing teacher.

Last edited:
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The problem is defining the person by their sexual preferrance and not their actual qualities as a parent.

If you meet someone that is gay and the fact they are gay is an issue, then you have a problem as I see it. A growth and developement problem more precisley.....

When i was young and came in contact with blacks I treated them as blacks...Oh i was nice and very respectfull and just a little too accepting...Catch my drift.....Anyway i thought hard about this and discovered it was some sort of built in racist thing...Not harmfull to the race invovled but more to the ability for me to embrace the person as an equal...

Meh ya grow and the next thing ya know we are all just people.....

here's a line out of context that i removed from this post...
just want it here for effect:
As long as you think of people as unpeople you will have a problem with gay couples bringing up children in a marriage setting.

Reactions: daisygirl

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Why don't these dudes adopt a couple of robots? They're up next for cyber-rights when we start marrying and having sex with them anyway.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

From what you here in the news everyday it is abundantly clear that there are many hetro couples that are not the best for their babies either. This goes back to being good parents as apposed to gay or straight parents.