Bush vows lead in climate change talks

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The world's top greenhouse gas polluters, including the United States, have a "special responsibility" to produce fewer emissions, U.S. President George W. Bush said Friday, amid growing international pressure for the countries to accept binding targets on reducing emissions.
Bush told representatives from the 16 top polluting countries at a U.S.-sponsored conference on climate change in Washington that they must come together to set a goal for emissions reductions.
"Energy security and climate change are two of the great challenges of our time," Bush said. "By setting this goal, we acknowledge there is a problem, and by setting this goal, we commit ourselves to doing something about it."
He said each nation should establish for itself what "tools" it will use to rein in the pollution problem without stunting economic growth.
"The nations in this room have special responsibility," he said. "We must lead the world to produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions.

Wow, is this a 180 degree switch or what.....
http://tinyurl.com/2y2wtv

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The left will probably dump the Enviromental issue now that the anti-christ has acknowledged it...:smile:

Acknowledged?.........With all the evidence out there, a chimpanzee would have got the message sooner than the Bush crowd.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The world's top greenhouse gas polluters, including the United States, have a "special responsibility" to produce fewer emissions, U.S. President George W. Bush said Friday, amid growing international pressure for the countries to accept binding targets on reducing emissions.
Bush told representatives from the 16 top polluting countries at a U.S.-sponsored conference on climate change in Washington that they must come together to set a goal for emissions reductions.
"Energy security and climate change are two of the great challenges of our time," Bush said. "By setting this goal, we acknowledge there is a problem, and by setting this goal, we commit ourselves to doing something about it."
He said each nation should establish for itself what "tools" it will use to rein in the pollution problem without stunting economic growth.
"The nations in this room have special responsibility," he said. "We must lead the world to produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions.

Wow, is this a 180 degree switch or what.....
http://tinyurl.com/2y2wtv

The hell with it..........

Kyoto was NOT an american invention. So, since they weren't taking the lead and would not be able to take credit for it in any way....it was all BS.... this would be THEIR initiative and they will be taking the lead..... understand now?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The hell with it..........

Kyoto was NOT an american invention. So, since they weren't taking the lead and would not be able to take credit for it in any way....it was all BS.... this would be THEIR initiative and they will be taking the lead..... understand now?

KYOTO was a scam. How is Canada doing with their goals? It was a failure from day 1. Believe me... we will not be leading the way to downsize our economy and give money to Russia, China, and India like the Kyoto suckers are supposed to do.

There was an article in the paper the other day on how must Russians don't care about Global Warming. Then it went on to say that Russia tends to make millions of dollars from industrialized nations that signed on to this squeeze play. PAY UP CANADA!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Bush is trying to firm up some sort of legacy other than being the destroyer of nations, his own and Iraq.

I suppose the Bush fawners will join him on this crusade....because they certainly aren't saying anything bad about it.

Hypocricy is funny.

I hope he does take a lead on this but his credibility is to far down the toilet to get back so I doubt it will amount to anything.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Originally Posted by thomaska
The left will probably dump the Enviromental issue now that the anti-christ has acknowledged it...
:icon_smile:

As far as the right wingnuts are concerned, there is no such thing as global warming. Global warming is just part of a commie plot to steal your SUVs. Even now Bush probably doesn't have a clue what his last speech was about.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
LOL

Do I get carbon credits when I buy Chinese goods?

THAT is a good question. I would say with all of the Chinese goods in my house I am clearly carbon neutral and that the environment owes me a little bit. I think I will finally buy that SUV after all.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The US will never sign on to a treaty that targets the wallets of its people so it can give to so called undeveloped nations like China, Russia, and India. Two of which have a real Space Program.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I read a patriotic little plea in the newspaper this morning - requesting we all donate 50 Cents/Gal. towards Global Warming.

I thought it might be a better idea that the Oil companies donate 50 Cents of our purchase towards the cause and leave us out of it.

The cause may be good - but its representatives suck. I've been practicing my own environmental care and protection for years and it didn't cost a thing.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bush wants to lead the world on climate issues, after dragging his feet for years while the world moved past him. The future is only going to get greener. Banks are asking for emissions trading, Wal-Mart is showing corporations how being greener is better for the bottom line. Europe got off to a shaky start with their trading method, but hey it was new, and even stumbling in the right direction is better than standing still. Your state governors are leading more so than the Feds, even taking them to court, and winning.

Care to guess who the hold outs are? I'll give you three guesses but you should only need one...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Energy security is one of the great challenges of our time? What in the name of that town with the funny name is energy security? Does he mean renewable energy? Why drop security into every speech?

On the other hand, welcome to the table Bush. Take a number please. No, you can't run the show at this point.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
:icon_smile:

As far as the right wingnuts are concerned, there is no such thing as global warming. Global warming is just part of a commie plot to steal your SUVs. Even now Bush probably doesn't have a clue what his last speech was about.

No no #Juan, once Bush decides that there must be a war on climate change the empty headed war mongers who worship Bush will suddenly support it because the word "war" is involved.:lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No no #Juan, once Bush decides that there must be a war on climate change the empty headed war mongers who worship Bush will suddenly support it because the word "war" is involved.:lol:

You might be right considering that Lyndon Johnson used the phrase "War on Poverty," rather than using a reference to improving social programs.