6 Arrested in Weeklong Attack on Woman

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
LOGAN, W.Va. (AP) - A woman was sexually abused, beaten and humiliated while being held captive in a home for at least a week, sheriff's officials said Monday after making six arrests. Those arrested, including a mother and son and a mother and daughter, are white. The victim, a Charleston woman who was being treated at a hospital Monday, is black. The FBI plans to investigate it as a possible hate crime.
"The things that were done to this woman are just indescribable," Logan County sheriff's Sgt. Sonya Porter said.
Deputies found the 23-year-old victim Saturday after going to the home in Big Creek, about 35 miles southwest of Charleston, to investigate an anonymous tip. One of the suspects, Frankie Brewster, was sitting on the front porch and told deputies she was alone, but moments later the victim limped toward the door, her arms outstretched, saying "help me," the sheriff's department said in a news release.
Besides being sexually assaulted, the victim was stabbed four times in the left leg and beaten, Porter said. Both of her eyes were black and blue. Deputies said the woman's wounds were inflicted at least a week ago.
During her capture, the victim was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court. The woman also was choked with a cable cord and her hair cut, it alleges.
One of those arrested, Karen Burton, is accused of cutting the woman's ankle with a knife. She used the N-word in telling the woman she was victimized because she is black, according to the criminal complaint.
Deputies say the woman was also doused with hot water while being sexually assaulted.
The sheriff's department requested the FBI's participation, said agent Jay Bartholomew.
The six suspects were arrested Saturday and Sunday. Deputies were still trying to determine whether the victim knew her assailants and how she came to be at Brewster's home, Porter said.
Frankie Brewster, 49, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and giving false information during a felony investigation. Deputies said she was the woman on the porch.
Her son, Bobby R. Brewster, 24, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony.
Burton, 46, of Chapmanville, is charged with malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony.
Her daughter Alisha Burton, 23, of Chapmanville, and George A. Messer, 27, of Chapmanville, are charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery.
Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, is charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding.
All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And the public has to pay for their defence? There should be some exceptions!

Oh I don't agree with that at all. While some may disgust you, it is imperitive that all are given a fair trial by competent and interested parties on all sides.
This is one of the major problems with these actions to protect us from terrorism. Prison without trial means that someone can say you've done something without having to offer up any proof that you have.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
How about "shot while attempting to escape"?
Wolf

Is that what you would consider justice? The problem with that is that I can walk up to you and blow your head off over some disagreement and alledge that you were doing something that doesn't put my life in imminent danger.
In other words I can say you are a bad person and deserved it. Which is all well and good unless I'm telling a lie. But you can't argue the point because I have already killed you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Apparently there is extremely little doubt they did it. If you pander to gang mentality you deserve to be its victim. Justice is swift and fast....

Wolf

Edit: Until you have been there, you don't know. Reason one I am not in Laws Enforcement.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Unf's right. Judicial procedure is more important than many realize. If not, we're back to natural law and and endless circle of violence begetting vengeance. I agree the accusations are so horrible, but knee jerk reactions are not the way to proceed. Prove beyond reasonable doubt, then give them the harshest sentence. It certainly appears to be a hate motivated crime, but emotion must be checked and facts given before we sentence anyone.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Apparently there is extremely little doubt they did it. If you pander to gang mentality you deserve to be its victim. Justice is swift and fast....

Wolf
I'm with Wolf on this one. I don't believe in vigilante justice but damn, if someone did that to a person I loved I'd go hunting. No question about it. Guess that's why I'd make a really, really bad cop.

Interesting idea, though. Reminds me of Heinlein's worlds. "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" describes a society without laws. "Rational anarchy." There is a line from "Starship Troopers" that says, "The basis of all morality is duty, a concept with the same relation to group that self-interest has to the individual."

I do wonder about applying that to our society. What if people came to the rescue of that woman? Caught in the act, dealt with in the instant, end of story. Sounds pretty efficient to me and it would certainly clear some of the slime out of the shallow end of the gene pool. People are more effectively constrained by answering to that kind of pressure than to the present judicial system that is based on game playing, finding loopholes and the amount of money one has.

Then again, maybe I'm just cranky because it's too early for me. ;)

Reactions: hermanntrude

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hate to spoil the tragedy of this story by veering off into judicial misconduct and such...

If anything the judiciary in the U.S. trend to leniency rather than the opposite.

Perhaps not because they are softies but because the prisons are so full.

Pedophiles and even murderers have been set free in my residency here - some were unbelievable - especially in California.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
What is the incarceration situation in Canada? Unless there is a national tragic case, nobody seems to be interested in reporting the state of Canada's justice system.

Are no capital crimes commited other than the three or four famous ones? Banned from media coverage? Or?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
What is the incarceration situation in Canada? Unless there is a national tragic case, nobody seems to be interested in reporting the state of Canada's justice system.

Are no capital crimes commited other than the three or four famous ones? Banned from media coverage? Or?

Curio, I found your question interesting so went for a peek ... Here's a table of homicides over the past few years ...

The website is Statistics Canada and this link will take you to a table of all cases in adult criminal court. There are nearly half a million cases in all. Interest stuff. Now I have to go find the ones for US and compare!

Found an FBI stats site ... they say there were 17,029 murder offenders in 2005. Lot more than here, eh?

Here's the url ...
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_03.html

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Our capital crimes tend to get fairly intense local and sometimes even provincial coverage. But national coverage tends to be less intense, if there at all.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know... we got plenty of news coverage here during the trial of the men who killed the young girl and left her on a golf course. We got more coverage than I felt was necessary... details that I think it should be illegal to air before 10PM. If you can't show it on a movie due to censorship laws, describing it in the news shouldn't be okay either.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Maybe it's a Provincial thing. News black-outs are common enough here - but the press tries. When you do find out, unless it's something really big, its been largely forgot about.

Wolf

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Wolf

Edit: Until you have been there, you don't know. Reason one I am not in Laws Enforcement.

Justice means everyone is treated equaly in the eyes of the law regardless of what they are accused of. You are innocent until proven guilty in court.

Rule of law isn't there to punish the guilty but to protect the innocent.

Reactions: karrie