Six dead, 20 injured after vehicle plows into crowd

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Saturday, August 25, 2007 Six dead, 20 injured after vehicle plows into a wedding celebration in Abbotsford
ABBOTSFORD, B.C. (CP) - Six people are dead and up to 20 are injured after a pick-up truck plowed through a group of people leaving a pre-wedding celebration.
Abbotsford Police say 25 to 30 people were walking north along a road when the truck, travelling south, hit them late Saturday night. "Given the magnitude of this incident, 14 area B.C. ambulances - including two medevac helicopters from Vancouver Airport - were called to the scene to transport the injured," police said in a news release.
The driver is being questioned by police and the injured have been taken to various hospitals.

http://tinyurl.com/2saf3s

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you are over 65, you should have a driving test each year. Obviously this asshole is not capable of driving.

That's a quick jump to a conclusion. most 71 year olds I know are more than capable drivers. How exactly do you know it wasn't something completely unforeseen?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This one really bothers me. I know there are a lot of people who use a pickup truck in their job but there are also a lot of dopes out there who have jacked their vehicles up and put on huge wheels and tires and destroyed any possibility of decent handling at even normal speeds. The way they are driven, these things are a danger to everyone on the road.

This was an older driver but the other clowns are still out there.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's a quick jump to a conclusion. most 71 year olds I know are more than capable drivers. How exactly do you know it wasn't something completely unforeseen?

Given the lack of evidence otherwise, that is the most likely conclusion. If the 71 year olds you know are good drivers, then they should have no probem passing a test.

I fail to see what unforseen event would have caused him to kill 6 people. My first thought was alchohol, but they said that was ruled out. We will see if they ever do release the official cause.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you are over 65, you should have a driving test each year. Obviously this asshole is not capable of driving.

Oh, do you know the details of this accident? Do you know if another vehicle might have contributed to the accident? I don't think you know how capable that driver is or even if he is the a$$hole you want to make him.

On the other hand, my first thought was all the idiots driving jacked up, big wheeled, pickup trucks like they were sportscars...It wasn't one of them.....my apologies..

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh, do you know the details of this accident? Do you know if another vehicle might have contributed to the accident? I don't think you know how capable that driver is or even if he is the a$$hole you want to make him.

On the other hand, my first thought was all the idiots driving jacked up, big wheeled, pickup trucks like they were sportscars...It wasn't one of them.....my apologies..

I admit to making a quick judgement based upon the limited facts presented. I do that sometime but I do change my position if the facts change.

Now perhaps it was 71 year old bad senior driver driving a souped up pickup truck?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I admit to making a quick judgement based upon the limited facts presented. I do that sometime but I do change my position if the facts change.

Now perhaps it was 71 year old bad senior driver driving a souped up pickup truck?

In a case like this, we won't know the details for sometime. One thing I would bet on is that there will be others to blame along with that 71 year old driver.

lena

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
ab
age...who is worse? the old or young? I know someone will do the stats on here. who causes the most accidents? We would love to think its the old farts eh? Them old poops. i'm thinking the little ****s.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The collision occurred aroung 11pm on an unlit rural road with narrow shoulders. Why are people walking on a dark raod in the middle of the night?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The collision occurred aroung 11pm on an unlit rural road with narrow shoulders. Why are people walking on a dark raod in the middle of the night?

Maybe the place they were going to end up at was within walking distance and they wanted to walk instead of waste gas? Or just enjoy the fresh air of the evening? I am sure that more information will be coming out at a later time. I imagine that they will be adding more lighting in response to this.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006

Hey Walt hows it goin eh?

You could turn this "blame the victim" logic and turn it around on global warming too now couldn't you?

Oh I fergot....

It's a myth.....
:)

Er....more likely a conspiracy theory.....tin-foil hats all around!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
CNN shed some new light on the story this morning and I hope they have it right and not beefed up for audience attention and interest ...

The people were walking on a neighborhood road from one house where the pre-wedding party took place, to another residence just down the road ... country roads... no lights.... late evening....perhaps the driver of the pickup regardless of age was not paying as much attention as required not realizing there would be people walking on that deserted unlit place....perhaps the people walking were not paying attention either....

Lots of reasons - age isn't necessarily the predominant factor and if booze and illness was ruled out - it can only be an incident of terrible misfortune -

My sympathy to the families involved - death before a wedding is pretty difficult to handle...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Curio...:)

How's it goin gorgeous...;)

Vehicles have headlights.

We accept the responsibility for operating a steel monstrosity when we get behind the wheel and if you're significantly impaired through either old age alcohol or single digit IQ....perhaps you shouldn't take on that responsibility....

Terrible event......

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Personally I'd have to agree with forcing older drivers to take tests every year.

Yes many elderly people will be fine, right up until they die. But age does become a factor for most people at some point. For some as low as 60 for some they go up until their final months in the 110's before they start to slip.

But entropy does set in before death, its just a fact of life. Likewise the arbitrary age of "16" is ridiculous for the same reasons. Many 14 year olds are more mature than some 17 year olds. But at some point we have to draw a cut off time where whether or not your fine and capable of driving we say "no", that arbitrary age is 16 (with 2 years probabtion), it would seem making tests when you hit the other end of the spectrum is fine. If not 65, then 70 or 75 etc.