Michael Vick saga

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The NFL suspended him indefinitely, and gave the team the right to seek up to 22 milion of his signing bonus. The guy had a $130 million contract. Nike deals etc. All tossed out the window. For what, the opportunity to drown or hang non-performing dogs? What a bloody moron.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=216788&hubname=

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the lowest of low-lifes. And, I heard one of his teamates feeling sorry for him today, saying that he
is out there now, all by himself, taking all this heat.

How about the dogs that are dead, etc. Yeah, moron fits him to a tee..

He should b e put in a pen with 'four' very cranky pit bulls, and we can 'bet' on the outcome.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think I would like to see this guy spend fifteen minutes in a cell with Randy Couture and tell Randy that for fifteen minutes there is no law. We could get some bubbas hanging around drinking and talking the talk. Just so Vick could get the perspective he should have had from the start.

And let's give Couture a reason to perform. Say 90 million for the fight, and bonus for each time Vick begs him to stop.

And I suppose it would be of value to have Vick's family present to help undo some of the stupid advice he's given to them over the years.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would love to see Randy Couture kick the living hell out of that piece of human trash. I'll bet that Randy would do it for free, knowing the circumstances.;-)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And given the culture of apology we live in, two will get you ten, the lad will likely be playing professional football again in three years.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And given the culture of apology we live in, two will get you ten, the lad will likely be playing professional football again in three years.

Three years? Have you underestimated the powers of there truely short attention span? It will be "let's leave the past behind and get on with making some more money. Greed trumps morals everytime.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It is amazing given the outrageous crimes he's charged with that he could get less than five years imprisonment. There are all kinds of folks in US pens who have done less than Vick and are serving long years of incarceration.
Justice in the West has always been its Achilles heel.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The NFL is currently reacting to a series of scandals involving several players. I don't expect any leniency with regard to Vick anytime soon. Goodall has made it clear that he does not want any player to do anything that reacts negatively on the NFL and their collective ability to make money. Vick outdid the other players who got suspended by a mile. He has played his last NFL game IMHO.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I think it says a lot for society that we have come to the point where this is considered deplorable enough to warrant the actions taken ....the outrage against this sort of thing is healthy.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Toro, methinks Vick will be playing again in no more than three years. I hope I'm wrong but this case has a bad smell and greed is a most remarkable spice.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The test is "money". If a poor man had flouted the law like Vick or like Conrad Black or like Martha Stewart or like Paris Hilton or .....there's one system of law for these folk and an altogether different law for the people who only count as consumers and place-holders in our societies.

The idol of "money" is where postmodernity worships and where democracies will bend to allow the elite a reserved and special consideration under "law".

Evangelical "Christians" reap multi-million dollar rewards from the sychophants and weak-minded, and we call the Oral Roberts, the Jimmy Bakkers and the Jimmy Swaggarts rogues but we reward the wealthy and always have. We've established a system of government and a social ethos that's prepared to see millions living in poverty and suffering while the select few flout the law and enjoy our "forgiveness".

What possible argument can be made for respecting the structures of our governments and institutions when at the same time we're prepared to embrace different standards for some while painting others as criminals and outlaws....when those criminals and outlaws are the people we keep electing and sending in money to support?

We are a sick society led by liars and thieves and nothing that passes for "law" should surprise anyone.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vick had the potential to be the best QB in league history. What a shame to throw it all away.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Vick had the potential to be the best QB in league history. What a shame to throw it all away.

Actually, he was very overrated. Had he been allowed to play, that would have been more evident. He can't pass. He's a great runner and scrambler and if he ever could figure out how to be a QB and not just a RB, he would indeed have been dangerous. But he just wasn't getting it. And now he probably never will. He will join Pete Rose and probably eventually Barry Bonds in the Sports Hall of Shame.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
His first year as a starter he won a playoff game in Green Bay (02/03). Considering the team he had that was no small feat. I've watched football since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That was one of best performances I've ever seen. Just getting there was an accomplishment but to show up Favre at Lambeau in the playoffs was Herculean. His broken leg threw a wrench into his game after that, and I'm sure the present issue didn't just appear overnight. His focus has probably been marred by these off field issues for awhile.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He'll likely get a years prison sentance for the plea agreement. As to the likliness of his playing in the NFL again, I'm not so sure. He lied outright to the commissioner when he said he had nothing to do with it, now he makes a plea agreement with prosecuters.

Toro

Senate Member
Toro, methinks Vick will be playing again in no more than three years. I hope I'm wrong but this case has a bad smell and greed is a most remarkable spice.

Yeah, I agree. He'll be, what, 29 when he gets back into the league. Al Davis or John Gruden or someone like that will sign him.

I gotta disagree with you Kreskin. I think Vick was the most over-rated QB in the league. The guy had no accuracy. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 10 yards away.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, I agree. He'll be, what, 29 when he gets back into the league. Al Davis or John Gruden or someone like that will sign him.

I gotta disagree with you Kreskin. I think Vick was the most over-rated QB in the league. The guy had no accuracy. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 10 yards away.

I'm not saying just this incident. His broken leg screwed up what was a brilliant career in the making. The Falcons tried to protect him from injury by keeping in the pocket. That wasn't his game. Then off field shenanigans crept in. Incidents with fans. Now this.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Now it looks as if Atlanta is trying to get back the $22 million that he already received as a signing bonus. I think that Atlanta will drop him like a hot potato, and if any team was idiotic enough to sign him(assuming he was even ever allowed to play again after getting out of jail) I would hope pressure from other teams would make them change their mind.