Are you smarter than a Canadian...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When the marketing of entertainment in this country tells you that you must watch yet another copycatted British or American tofu program such as this, oyu've got to wonder when we'll become as dumb as the yanks:

Global Television today confirmed an agreement with Mark Burnett Productions to produce a Canadian version of the popular quiz show, ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER?. Five homegrown editions of the primetime hit will be taped on-location in Toronto, in October 2007.
Produced expressly for Global Television by Insight Productions, ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A CANADIAN 5TH GRADER? will be broadcast exclusively here at home.
Airing this fall, the Global Original Series will introduce an all-Canadian batch of 5th Grade panellists, along with a new celebrity Host to stump the class, and the country - all for a chance at up to a million dollars in prize money.
“This exciting format announcement is the perfect kickoff to one of CanWest’s most dynamic fall seasons on record,” said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President of Programming and Production for CanWest MediaWorks. “Our entire team, along with our production partners, is eager to take audiences from coast-to-coast inside this terrific concept, and truly make it our own. It’s a great chance to test our kids, our contestants, and get families in on the fun as we take Canada back to school.”
In addition, the network confirmed that producers will conduct regional ‘5th Grader Kid-Castings’ in five Canadian cities - Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Halifax - offering Canadian children the exclusive opportunity to become a part of television’s toughest know-it-all team. Fans can stay tuned to Global Television and visit www.globaltv.com for information on the tour, including dates and exact locations, which will be revealed in the days to come.

How original. :roll:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Don't like the american version, can't imagine I'd like the Canadian one...now if they'd simply do a british styled Big Brother Canadian version, that might be ok...but not the american version...that's just way to cut throat/lie and cheat to get ahead for me

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Locutus

Don't know what your point was in the lead in query.....

I hate to tell you but generally speaking the U.S. and Canadian population are glaringly similar in many ways - most of which has to do with intellect and social preference.

Keep trying one day you'll find your separation point.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Locutus

Don't know what your point was in the lead in query.....

I hate to tell you but generally speaking the U.S. and Canadian population are glaringly similar in many ways - most of which has to do with intellect and social preference.

Keep trying one day you'll find your separation point.

It's called irony. We considered ourselves generally 'smarter than an American'. Now we buy into the same drivel. You get what you deserve. Use that point if needs be.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't know about a 5th grader, but I'm smarter than most TV execs. I don't watch any of those 'reality' shows, and precious little of anything else.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Canwest Global is the" Fox" of Canadian television.

Pure crap aimed at numbing the mind of our kids (and many adults).

Likely the dumbest of the show's contestants will be smarter than the smartest of their viewers...

Muz

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I tried to watch that show but found it as mind nummingly boring as Who wants to be a millionaire. Well maybe a little better as the kids are generally smarter that the contestants, but the show spools out at such a slow pace, I guess to meet viewer needs, that I'm sure the 5th graders wouldn't sit still for it unless they were being paid.

All the reality and game shows are set to meet viewer needs save Jeopardy. I'm a big fan. Never miss it.
I'm a Trebekkie.:canada:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I tried to watch that show but found it as mind nummingly boring as Who wants to be a millionaire. Well maybe a little better as the kids are generally smarter that the contestants, but the show spools out at such a slow pace, I guess to meet viewer needs, that I'm sure the 5th graders wouldn't sit still for it unless they were being paid.

All the reality and game shows are set to meet viewer needs save Jeopardy. I'm a big fan. Never miss it.
I'm a Trebekkie.:canada:

Then you've seen the show How Willian Shatner Changed The World?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
American.....Canadian.....

American: Arrogant in his ignorance.

Canadian: Just plain ignorant.