Sorry for eating those four British missionaries, say cannibals

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In 1875, four British missionaries were eaten by a cannibalistic tribe in Papua New Guinea. 132 years later the tribe finally apologises....

Sorry for eating those four British missionaries, say cannibals

By RICHARD SHEARS
17th August 2007
Daily Mail

It has taken 132 years, but the descendants of a tribe of cannibals have finally apologised for eating four friends of a British missionary.

The Reverend George Brown came close to being killed himself when he ventured into the jungle to find those who had had his four colleagues for dinner.

Tribes in Papua New Guinea still believe in the powers of witchdoctors and skeleton men but cannibalism is a thing of the past

The Methodist minister discovered the victims' bones scattered around the cannibal village on the Pacific island of New Britain.

In a colourful ceremony this week, island chiefs said they were very sorry their forebears chopped up the missionaries for a grand feast.

The apology was made to the High Commissioner of Fiji, where the missionaries came from.

The commissioner, Ratu Isoa Delamisi Tikoca, who represents the Queen in Fiji, told the chiefs: "We are deeply touched and wish you the greatest joy of forgiveness as we finally end this record disagreement."

At the ceremony, Sir Paulias Matane, Governor-General of Papua New Guinea, which controls New Britain, recalled George Brown's good works.

Island chiefs have apologised for their ancestors chopping up English missionaries and eating them in a grand feast 132 years ago

The pioneering Englishman came close to death on several occasions - from fierce natives or disease - but managed to live out his retirement in Australia after one final trip home to Durham.

The incident which led to the apology came after Brown travelled from Fiji to New Britain, which was named by English explorer William Dampier in 1700.

He was resting in a village hut on the island when on April 8, 1878, he heard that the missionary party with which he had travelled from Fiji had been massacred by cannibals.

Fearing an uprising by the tribe, Brown, then aged 43, was urged to take reprisals or face his entire group being wiped out.

Hunting for the cannibals by canoe as they moved along the coast, the Englishmen found themselves cut off by 40 tribal canoes and only narrowly escaped.

A few days later, Brown recovered the bones of the murdered teachers in a village.

Along with his party, he burned down all the cannibals' huts and in a bloody clash some of the man-eating tribe were killed.

Brown's revenge brought about an immediate offer of peace from the natives. Yet the murders are said to have haunted him until his death.

After the event yesterday, one tribesman said: "The Reverend can now rest peacefully in his grave because the dispute is finally over."

dailymail.co.uk

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
At the ceremony, Sir Paulias Matane, Governor-General of Papua New Guinea, which controls New Britain, recalled George Brown's good works.
----------
A few days later, Brown recovered the bones of the murdered teachers in a village.
Along with his party, he burned down all the cannibals' huts and in a bloody clash some of the man-eating tribe were killed.

And in the good holy father's church going to apologize, too?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Their culture is not civilized...not even near civilized..
I don't approve of cannibalism, definitely, but every culture develops in its own unique way. Diversity is about the best thing in this world. Forcing your own idea of "civilization" upon other cultures is no good.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Surely, our web of tolerance is wide enough to accept cannibals. Given how primitive most of our younger folk are, the culture should be a hit.

santer

Aug 19, 2007
world is developing...

we should acknowledge variety of the world,though I can't accept the event....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wow.

Gut reaction is 'What have they got to apologize for!?'

But, I suppose, just about every culture that's ever oppressed others has issued apologies. I'd imagine eating people counts as oppression.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'd imagine eating people counts as oppression..
keeping people down= oppression...yes, in the strictest sense of the word....however, what if they burped after eating?

When I was in New Zealand, I purchased as a gift for my husband, a brain fork and bonker...quite lovely artistry went into the making of these wooden utensils...don't think he'll ever get to use them for their intended purpose....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
oh forgot to add...since we're all apologizing for our ancetors past transgressions....I apologize on behalf of my fathers Norwegian ancestors to all the Irish folks(including my other set of forefathers and mothers) for raping and pillaging.of their villages...Sorry.

santer

Aug 19, 2007
yes。。
every culture has self characteristic...
oh....
the world is too.............big~~~~

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Wow.

Gut reaction is 'What have they got to apologize for!?'

But, I suppose, just about every culture that's ever oppressed others has issued apologies. I'd imagine eating people counts as oppression.

"Gut reaction" heh heh heh
Burping acceptable at this point or insulting?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
oh forgot to add...since we're all apologizing for our ancetors past transgressions....I apologize on behalf of my fathers Norwegian ancestors to all the Irish folks(including my other set of forefathers and mothers) for raping and pillaging.of their villages...Sorry.

Where do I pick up my cheque?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I was in New Zealand, I purchased as a gift for my husband, a brain fork and bonker...quite lovely artistry went into the making of these wooden utensils...don't think he'll ever get to use them for their intended purpose....

Well, one would hope that he doesn't use them. But, I guess being prepared in case of emergency is never bad. lol.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

And I apologize for all the times we beat the french, the spanish and the germans in wars. And the british empire, particularly india and china