Fine threat over T-shirt slogan

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Mr Pratt said the slogan was intended to be humorous

A man spotted wearing a T-shirt bearing an "offensive" slogan in a city centre has been warned he risks an £80 fine if he is caught again.
Forklift driver David Pratt was told by street wardens in Peterborough he could cause offence or incite violence.
The slogan on the garment read: "Don't piss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies."
Peterborough City Council said using insulting or offensive language was an offence, even if it appeared in print.
Mr Pratt, 46, an American living in Peterborough, was approached by the wardens as he waited for a bus with his wife Elly.
"It is insane. I have worn it in the city centre hundreds of times", said Mr Pratt, whose wife bought him the T-shirt in Venice Beach, California.
"Most people who see it just chuckle. Some people have even stopped me to tell me they like my T-shirt.
It's a bummer because I like the shirt but I am trying to get citizenship but if I get a fine I can kiss citizenship goodbye

David Pratt

"We have put this incident online on several blogs and 90% of people who have commented said they found it hilarious or that I should have the right to wear it wherever I like."
Asked whether he would wear the T-shirt again, Mr Pratt replied: "I am wearing it now. If I get a written apology I will wear it in the city centre again."
He continued: "It's a bummer because I like the shirt, but I am trying to get citizenship but if I get a fine I can kiss citizenship goodbye."
He added: "I really don't see how the wording on my T-shirt could incite violence - it's humour, that's all it is."
In a statement, Peterborough City Council said: "The incident is the subject of an official complaint to the council and is currently under investigation.
"However, using offensive, abusive, or insulting language is an offence under the Public Order Act, which also applies to such language appearing in print.
"In what was an amicable conversation, the street warden advised the gentleman concerned that his T-shirt could cause offence and if he was to wear it again he could run the risk of being issued an £80 on-the-spot fine from the police."

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Is it just me or are people becoming overly sensitive to this stuff?
Whatever happended to having a sense of humour?
I'm sure if a family has experienced a loss, in which one was murdered, that they may find it offensive, where as a person without this experience can see the humour.
Where does one draw the line? Does one group have to give up their "sense of humour" to satisfy another?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Is it just me or are people becoming overly sensitive to this stuff?
Whatever happended to having a sense of humour?
I'm sure if a family has experienced a loss, in which one was murdered, that they may find it offensive, where as a person without this experience can see the humour.
Where does one draw the line? Does one group have to give up their "sense of humour" to satisfy another?
I suppose it depends on what you define as "humour". If the t-shirt had "All fags need to die", would you still be laughing?

It rather seems to me we have chosen what does and does not offend us, based on PC mumbo-jumbo.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Your absolutely right! If I were to see " All fags need to die" on a shirt, I would not find it funny at all.
I have no definition of humour, I just know what I find funny. I admit that when I read the guys t-shirt, it made me chuckle.
So then I guess my next question would be is our "sense of humour" based or developed through our morals and experiences?
Does that change repeatedly over time due to experiences?

Just throwing some questions out there for discussion.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I suppose it depends on what you define as "humour". If the t-shirt had "All fags need to die", would you still be laughing?

It rather seems to me we have chosen what does and does not offend us, based on PC mumbo-jumbo.

The difference is that one pokes fun at the irony of the problem and the solution while the other is a call for violence against a visible minority.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I've seen that t-shirt many times over the years. It's been in circulation almost forever. But we do live in a strange era. Given the child abuse hysteria that grips the land I'm surprised children and their parents aren't called on the plethora of sexually suggestive t-shirts kids wear everywhere in summer. It is a bizarre cultural miswiring.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
If I wore my "eat a beaver, save a tree" t-shirt, would I get PETA or the womens' rights movement on my case?

Muz

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't find that shirt any more offensive than a lot of others I've seen but I can understand why some might disapprove. What bugs me is that the dolt who was wearing the shirt somehow thought it was a hardship to give up that shirt in order to get his citizenship. Sounds like someone we really need. up here..:roll:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Explain pliz ....

Why is there an £80 fine? Or is the computer keyboard set up for pounds instead of dollars????

If he is an ex-denizen of Venice Beach I think he looks very tidy considering...hehe

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Explain pliz ....

Why is there an £80 fine? Or is the computer keyboard set up for pounds instead of dollars????

If he is an ex-denizen of Venice Beach I think he looks very tidy considering...hehe

I'm guessing in this case that Peterborough must be in the U.K.

Regardless, the mullet alone ought to disqualify him from citizenship anywhere. :tongue7:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Maybe if there was a winking smiley beside it. ;-)

tshirtguy

Aug 22, 2008
I'm the "dolt" in question.

I don't find that shirt any more offensive than a lot of others I've seen but I can understand why some might disapprove. What bugs me is that the dolt who was wearing the shirt somehow thought it was a hardship to give up that shirt in order to get his citizenship. Sounds like someone we really need. up here..:roll:

The shirt is called humor. Most thought of it as that anyway. What this is, is a freedom of speech issue. To ban harmless shirts like this is setting a bad precedent. What will be banned next? This is getting scarily close to 1984. We'll all have to dress alike. I'm just glad that over (well over) 90% of the comments I've gotten have been positive. Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Democratic society supposed to go with majority rule? It's nice to know that some people like to blow hard by calling people names when they don't have a cogent argument. Looks like Hitler won the war after all. Deutschland Deutschland uber alles...

tshirtguy

Aug 22, 2008
I'm guessing in this case that Peterborough must be in the U.K.

Regardless, the mullet alone ought to disqualify him from citizenship anywhere. :tongue7:

Peterborough IS, in this case, in the UK hence the coverage on the BBC and the £ sign. There are loads of Einsteins in Canada I see. I bet you're quite the fashion statement. The statement probably screams Forrest Gump.

tshirtguy

Aug 22, 2008
Explain pliz ....

Since I'm here, I might add I've never been to Venice Beach. My wife has relatives in California and picked it up when she was there.