RIP Tammy Faye

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Tammy Faye Baker Messner? Is that her newest last name? Has died from inoperable cancer. She was on Larry King Live Thursday nite and died Friday morning.

awww jeeze, I know I'm bound to offend someone with this, but the first thing that popped into my head was "what the hell did Larry do to her?" 8O

triedit

inimitable
yeah that was my thought too. But she sought out the interview, probably because she sensed the time was coming. She was down to 65 pounds and mostly bedridden. I think she just wanted to say goodbye to her many fans.

She was sort of odd. But I liked her.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Liked her?!? You must be kidding. Liked a televangelist? "Send me your money" and god will love you televangelist? More makeup than a ***** televangelist?

Good bloody riddance, more likely.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Jbee:

Assuming there is such a thing (which I most certainly do not).

But if she does have a soul, what makes you think she deserves heaven?

She loved manna more than humanity, attention more than virtue, and most certainly her marriage to Jim was a sham.

Doesn't that mean she should go to hell?

Pangloss

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Jbee:

Assuming there is such a thing (which I most certainly do not).

But if she does have a soul, what makes you think she deserves heaven?

She loved manna more than humanity, attention more than virtue, and most certainly her marriage to Jim was a sham.

Pangloss

She was human Pangloss, no matter what.
"hell"?....hell no!

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
But Jbee:

She preached heaven and hell - so why not hell? Are you attempting to claim she led a virtuous life?

By what very elastic measure do you claim this?

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Jbee:

You confuse me: if there is a heaven and a hell (as Tammy Faye, etc., claimed) and people - humans - go there, then why couldn't she go there?

Pangloss

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
But Jbee:

She preached heaven and hell - so why not hell? Are you attempting to claim she led a virtuous life?

By what very elastic measure do you claim this?

Pangloss

So what?.... you could be selling tooth-paste for a living.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jbee:

Pangloss

I saw an interview with Jim Bakker after he was released from prison. In the (very modest) farm house in which he lived, he had an entire room devoted to keepsakes and pictures of Tammy Faye. It was an absolute shrine. She, of course, was long gone.

The marriage was real on one side, anyway, despite whatever else went on.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Jbee:

Ok, I'm really confused here.

Just what did you mean then, by "God rest her soul."?

I'm claiming nothing here: I'm using the rules the likes of TFB ran their public lives by (certainly not their private - it was a Saturnalia of drugs, booze, excess and sex, from all I've read).

If TFB preached heaven and hell, and heaven and hell turn out to be true, than why wouldn't TFB go to the firey place?

Her game, her rules. Not mine.

Or are you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing?

Pangloss

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I saw her on king and was shocked to hell to see that absolute dessimation of her body, but not her spirit. she was a horror to look at , but she still preached and tried to be an example and tried to inspire....

what can i say ,she was true to her faith till the end...

you couldn't help but like her.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Colpy:

Thanks for the correction. Do you really think she didn't know what Jimmy was up to, though?

Isn't willful blindness kind of a sin?

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I saw her on king and was shocked to hell to see that absolute dessimation of her body, but not her spirit. she was a horror to look at , but she still preached and tried to be an example and tried to inspire....

what can i say ,she was true to her faith till the end...

you couldn't help but like her.

Doc:

What does "true to her faith" mean, exactly? Hoard money? Act pious? Ignore your husband's embezzlement and sleeping around?

When does the truth take precedence over public holiness?

Pangloss

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Doc:

What does "true to her faith" mean, exactly? Hoard money? Act pious? Ignore your husband's embezzlement and sleeping around?

When does the truth take precedence over public holiness?

Pangloss
exactly!!!! the evengelical ideal8O

the last of the great Carney show people....but if you saw her you would agree with my assesment of her last 15 minutes.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Triedit:

Pangloss was a fool. I chose the name as an act of rememberence and solidarity for/to Voltaire. So, the name choice would be ironic. But please, instead of attacking me or my literary tastes, tell me where my assessment of TFB is wrong.

Pangloss