Yet another "Meat Is Bad" story.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
This is from the Telegraph newspaper in the U.K. I know, I know - everything out of the U.K. is copyrighted by Blackleaf, but I thought I'd take the chance.

Anyway, here's reason number 10,382 to not eat meat:

Eating beef ' is less green than driving'

Last Updated: 2:59am BST 19/07/2007

Producing 2.2lb of beef generates as much greenhouse gas as driving a car non-stop for three hours, it was claimed yesterday.

Japanese scientists used a range of data to calculate the environmental impact of a single purchase of beef.

Taking into account all the processes involved, they said, four average sized steaks generated greenhouse gases with a warming potential equivalent to 80.25lb of carbon dioxide.
advertisement
function ebBannerFlash_0_85627269308470681184868882760_DoFSCommand(command,args){ebScriptWin0_85627269308470681184868882760.gEbBanners[0].displayUnit.handleFSCommand(command,args,"ebBannerFlash_0_85627269308470681184868882760");}

This also consumed 169 megajoules of energy.

That means that 2.2lb of beef is responsible for greenhouse gas emissions which have the same effect as the carbon dioxide released by an ordinary car travelling at 50 miles per hour for 155 miles, a journey lasting three hours. The amount of energy consumed would light a 100-watt bulb for 20 days.

Most of the greenhouse gas emissions are in the form of methane released from the animals' digestive systems, New Scientist magazine reported.

But more than two thirds of the energy used goes towards producing and transporting cattle feed, said the study, which was led by Akifumi Ogino from the National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science in Tsukuba, Japan.

Su Taylor, the press officer for the Vegetarian Society, told New Scientist: "Everybody is trying to come up with different ways to reduce carbon footprints, but one of the easiest things you can do is to stop eating meat."

Anyone care to rebut? While you're at it, how about all that fresh water used up as well?

Pangloss

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Nothing I can really say that refutes what the study states. But, I certainly won't stop eating delicious cows. If I drove a car, I would give that up before giving up steak.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not much of a beef person. Except for the odd roast beef...although moose does just fine as does bisson....

I use Yves ground round (non meat product) for cooking things that require ground beef and I use tofu for other things.

For some reason beef always tastes like I'm actually chewing on the poor cows leg! ick!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm not a huge fan of Roast Beef due to having it for Sunday dinner for the first 22 years of my life. Steak is a different story though, just can't get enough. ;)

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Durka:

That is the practice of "carbon offsetting" if I read my newspapers correctly. Give up one thing to get another, and there is no net increase in greenhouse gases.

Twila:

Game meat wouldn't be a greenhouse gas generator, nor would it be a consumer of other resources like antibiotics, municipal water supply, arable land, etc. . .

Veggie ground round gives me so much gas I turn into a hovercraft. Love the stuff, but I can't eat it.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
D2:

Then come to Calgary - apparently we have a fetish for the stuff here and claim the best beef in the world. I wouldn't know - I've never eaten a steak.

Pangloss

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
D2:

Then come to Calgary - apparently we have a fetish for the stuff here and claim the best beef in the world. I wouldn't know - I've never eaten a steak.

Pangloss

Have you ever eaten marinated portobello mushroom cooked on a BBQ? Very much like steak, though it will only get to close. Nothing beats the real thing cooked just so over hot embers. If it's good beef all you need is a little salt and pepper.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Twila:

Game meat wouldn't be a greenhouse gas generator, nor would it be a consumer of other resources like antibiotics, municipal water supply, arable land, etc. . .

Veggie ground round gives me so much gas I turn into a hovercraft. Love the stuff, but I can't eat it.

Well then my tastebuds are doing a good thing! lovely!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well, you are killing something for your dinner. . .doesn't that count too?

Hmmmm I feel better knowing the hunter who got me my moose. I feel better knowing the bison are not living on in an industrial site. I do feel bad for the roast beef bought in the grocery store knowing it spent it's time living in cramped conditions and may not have been euthenized humanely. That is worrisome...
But having grown up on a goat farm and having thoroughly enjoyed playing with the kids and eating absolutely delicious meat balls I'm not upset that my dinner was once alive only that it may have had a horrible existence prior to death.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Twila:

I've been a veg-head since I was about five - causing my parents no end of grief and confusion, I'm sure.

I used to go on horseback hunting trips with my father, him with a 30-30 and a 30.06 and me with a camera. I know what it is to hunt and I know a lot more what it is to kill, gut and skin than the vast majority of omnivores.

That is one of the reasons I am a vegetarian. I was taught by hunters never to kill unless I need to, and to kill humanely.

I live in the city, and I don't need meat in order to thrive (I am a large, muscular stagehand that does 200km bicycle rides) - I can easily and economically get everything I need without killing.

That said - if I was living in the bush, one of the first things I'd do is set traps. Would I enjoy the animal I killed and cooked? I sincerely hope so. But that isn't the point - the point is that I'd eat it so I could keep myself alive.

Eating animals isn't necessarily wrong - but unnecessary killing is.

Pangloss

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Eating animals isn't necessarily wrong - but unnecessary killing is.

How do you define unnecessary? One of the things which always annoy me about some vegatarians is that they assume that what they think is 'neccessary killing' for example is what I deam is necessary killing. You assume (or maybe its just imply) that because you do fine in the city without eating meat that everyone should do so as well. I choose to eat meat. Beef is one of my choices. While I would hope that the cow is treated humanly and would/will support changes to laws to ensure that, I am not about to give up this part of my diet just because someone else is morally opposed to eating meat.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The grocery chains have long been using carbon dioxide to hide the color of the meat sold,and ater being found out, are slowly stopping this practice. Safeway has just announced it is stopping this as of now, God only knows how much tainted meat was sold to consumers:angryfire:

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Missile:

Tainted food is tainted food. Produce has been gassed for as long as I can remember. GMO crops are almost impossible to avoid. Even most of the bananas we get now have about half again more sugar than a mere ten years ago.

Meat isn't the only culprit.

Pangloss

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The Methane gas produced is carbon neutral, therefore the whole article is bunk.

The carbon put into the biosphere from the methane comes out of the biosphere from the grass/feed.

The only carbon that would count is that involved in transporting or farming the beef and its food.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
IRBS:

A follow-up question occurs to me:

Does weighing the ethical balance (or any other measure - economic, environmental, cultural, etc. . .) of an activity equal proscribing it?

I can point at something and say it is bad or stupid (like tractor pull competitions) and still not have to reach the conclusion it ought to be banned.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The Methane gas produced is carbon neutral, therefore the whole article is bunk.

The carbon put into the biosphere from the methane comes out of the biosphere from the grass/feed.

The only carbon that would count is that involved in transporting or farming the beef and its food.

Naah - methane is a nasty greenhouse gas, and the transport does produce exhaust gasses. Plus, feed lots and slaughterhouses use their fair share of energy.

So, Zzarchov, while I usually agree with you, I'll call baloney on this post of yours.

Respectfully, of course.

Pangloss