79 yr old killed, no charges?

triedit

inimitable
A 79 year old man in Toronto was killed by a 69 year old man. Aparantly there was a fight and the younger man pushed the older one. He then fell, hitting his head. The man died about two weeks later as a result.

From a police press release:
"On Tuesday, June 19, 2007, it was determined by the Crown Prosecutor that, taking into consideration the circumstances surrounding this offence, the age and mental capacity of both the victim and accused, it would not be in the public interest to file charges."

Certainly I can go with a lesser murder charge since I don't see premeditation. But no charges at all? Not even assault? Is someone too old at 69 to be responsible for his actions?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
No I don't think the issue is whether some person aged some number of years ought not to be held responsible, I imagine the question of greater relevance is "What does a society stand to gain from spending the money it would take to bring charges against this man....and does society actually gain anything from this course of action given the age of the individual involved.....

If we're prepared to let pedophiles hide inside the Roman Catholic protective shield ...if we're prepared to accept that successive governments have stalled and lied to native groups seeking resolution to their land claims....for decades.....

The list goes on and on...

What have Canadians recieved through these various court cases other than increasing levels of aggression, anger, violence and oh yeah...legal fees....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Gosh youse guys are just so sentimental and romantic blush...

There are enormously wealthy Legal Firms....created by O.J. Simpson.....entertainers of all kinds....professional sporting figures....crooked businessmen who expect everyone to just forget that you don't hire The Jerry Twins...(Conrad Black trial..) or Johnny Chocrane or a whole slew of personality-legal-help...without great huge fat wads of money....how you came by them of course isn't the issue before the courts....Wink Wink Nudge Nudge...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah that's the eternal triedit enigma. How I can be such a sappy sentimentalist in one thread while being a caustic b1tch in another :)

The question is, what to do if you incur the wrath of the latter part of the equation?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah it's cruel and inhumane to put the severely mentally disabled and children into a lengthy court trial and then prison. Probably the guy would have died before the whole process was complete anyway.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Unforgiven

Would it be Ok then if I use the several high capacity firearms I currently have in my possession..legally...having been trained in the use of these weapons as instruments of war...to put these skills and these instruments to use....because I could realistically expect that the society I live in would give me a pass because I'm old and disabled..?

Just wondering...:)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Unforgiven

Would it be Ok then if I use the several high capacity firearms I currently have in my possession..legally...having been trained in the use of these weapons as instruments of war...to put these skills and these instruments to use....because I could realistically expect that the society I live in would give me a pass because I'm old and disabled..?

Just wondering...:)

Maybe, are you mentally disabled? Also depending on what you mean by "use" you should not have any confusion between the legalities. Do you feel that you are confused about the legal use of the firearms in your possession?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Next time you're sitting at a card table playing bridge or euchre....remember 1 in four will fall victim to early on-set dimensia....

If you look around and the other three folk seem perfectly OK...................

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Unforgiven

No not confusion here at all, I was simply trying to point out that if we decide ..differentiate between one behavior and another....we must be very sure that the nuance, the conceptual fabric of those kinds of decisions are understood...by for instance young folk attending Universities and Technical Schools in Virginia...or Colorado...or Taber.....

Do we assess the character of the individual before or after we make a determination regarding the expediency and efficiency of waiving the law because of age or possible mental impairment...

Could open a Pandora's box of interpretation...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yes, prison and trial would be a bitch. But if he is not fit to stand trial due to mental incompetency, he should be placed in an institution for the rest of his life. This idea that insanity is a get out of jail free card is a serious problem in our society. This guy is now free to kill someone else.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
No I don't think the issue is whether some person aged some number of years ought not to be held responsible, I imagine the question of greater relevance is "What does a society stand to gain from spending the money it would take to bring charges against this man....and does society actually gain anything from this course of action given the age of the individual involved.....

If we're prepared to let pedophiles hide inside the Roman Catholic protective shield ...if we're prepared to accept that successive governments have stalled and lied to native groups seeking resolution to their land claims....for decades.....

The list goes on and on...

What have Canadians recieved through these various court cases other than increasing levels of aggression, anger, violence and oh yeah...legal fees....

Yea, I can see that.

Though I will agree with Shiv and Triedit that it's shouldn't be about the money. It should be about justice and the sake of the poor victim and the victim's family.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
He is only 69. We had Viners older than that! I'd like to see what qualifies as mentally disabled. Im betting a whole lot of us would qualify.

I hate to go off topic for a bit but, speaking of older Viners, has anyone heard from SV in a while?

I always wondered what he was up to since he went absent.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Coddfish

I agree, but we resigned our responsibility to the fabric of moral insight and absolute values when we crossed into postmodernism...

There are no hard and fast rules and if one or half a million suffer for our ambiguity...does it really matter?