Burial Costs-Should Soldiers families get 100% Compensation?

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Tough one but there are things to consider:

Should there be a known amount that will be paid and that is it? CPP pays an amount to the Estate of each participant. This amount was I believe originally set up as a payment towards Burial costs. Military was paying about $4500 and I think it was raised to around $5800. Is this above the CPP amount or including? Anyone know?

Some locations and Venues are going to be more expensive than others. Should there be a difference considered when it is unavoidable rather than by choice? I imagine Toronto is more expensive than "Small town", Saskatchewan.

I don't beleive the Tax payer should have to pay an unlimited amount. We do not Draft our soldiers and families would have to bury their sons and daughters due to death by any means. Harsh but the reality.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Tough one but there are things to consider:

Should there be a known amount that will be paid and that is it? CPP pays an amount to the Estate of each participant. This amount was I believe originally set up as a payment towards Burial costs. Military was paying about $4500 and I think it was raised to around $5800. Is this above the CPP amount or including? Anyone know?

Some locations and Venues are going to be more expensive than others. Should there be a difference considered when it is unavoidable rather than by choice? I imagine Toronto is more expensive than "Small town", Saskatchewan.

I don't beleive the Tax payer should have to pay an unlimited amount. We do not Draft our soldiers and families would have to bury their sons and daughters due to death by any means. Harsh but the reality.

Do you have any idea how wealthy Canada really is? By respecting and paying for what ever the family wants to have done in honor of losing their child to war should not be an issue.
What difference does it make if they were drafted or chose it themselves.
The fact they chose this honorable pursuit only makes it more noble to respect the loss in any way possible.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Do you have any idea how wealthy Canada really is? By respecting and paying for what ever the family wants to have done in honor of losing their child to war should not be an issue.
What difference does it make if they were drafted or chose it themselves.
The fact they chose this honorable pursuit only makes it more noble to respect the loss in any way possible.

Doc, your wisdom is probably lost on many people in here. I'm sure there's quite a few who would like to see anyone affiliated with the military bulldozed into one mass grave.

Although I'm sure these people would be more than happy to bury our deserters who have fled to Canada.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...What difference does it make if they were drafted or chose it themselves...

I think he's saying its because it means they signed the contract voluntarily. I tend to agree with him and quite frankly I'm sick of them being treated like they're the second coming of Christ.

Take away the danger pay and see how many of them are left that want to play hero from the safe side of the wire.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think he's saying its because it means they signed the contract voluntarily. I tend to agree with him and quite frankly I'm sick of them being treated like they're the second coming of Christ.

Take away the danger pay and see how many of them are left that want to play hero from the safe side of the wire.

Do you have the same attitude whent he soldiers are doing peacekeeping missions?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Honestly?

I think there should be a free burial, not that the government will pay for the burial, but a free one. It would be a military funeral then mind you.

If you want to have a private funeral that should be your privelage, but then also your responsibility.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Do you have the same attitude whent he soldiers are doing peacekeeping missions?

Probably not, but that all has to do with politics.

Here in the States when Clinton was president the far left loonies didn't give a **** about the military one way or another. But, let a conservative be in charge and the moonbattery begins.

Not sure what it is in Canada but in the US Military, Imminent Danger pay is $150 a month. So maybe in Bit's little world that makes it all worth it, but not so much to me.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Doc, your wisdom is probably lost on many people in here. I'm sure there's quite a few who would like to see anyone affiliated with the military bulldozed into one mass grave.

Although I'm sure these people would be more than happy to bury our deserters who have fled to Canada.

I think that's ridiculous. I don't disrespect soldiers. At the same time I can see why the government would provide a reasonable amount to cover burial and if the family wanted anything more lavish they could pay the difference.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

You really think an extra couple of thousand a year is why they risk their lives? They could be making a lot more money back home.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
No, but implying that they are gung-ho mercenaries isn't exactly a fair depiction of who they are though.

Assuming the danger pay isn't an integral part of the rationalization process tells me you don't have a lot of soldiers in your family.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Is it any different then a GM line worker who makes double time when doing OT? It's a bonus of the job, not something that can be expected all the time.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
If you think soldiers are in it for the money your daft.

I left the forces because I wanted to make money. A better question to ask is whats a better value over all. HR concepts don't disappear because its government work. It might be far cheaper overall in terms of cost to effectiveness to pay for funerals.