400$/month plus rent increases in Edmonton.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Tenants are being hit with up to 400$ per month rent increases in Edmonton. For those of you from other parts of Canada who still don't understand how out of control prices in Alberta are. This increase was rejected by the Alberta government based on the fact that the tenants had just received an increase a week earlier. The Alberta government refused to bring in rent controls but limited rent increases to 1 per year regardless how high they may be. That means, landlords can raise your rent from 1100 for a 1 bedroom to 50,000 per month if they want to as long as they only do one increase per year. This is what we refer to as the Alberta Advantage!!! It's good there is lots of work around here because now most people need 2 jobs just to pay their rent.....I'm not kidding.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=a4af1ba1-db69-4924-8257-a9e8b878e1d2&k=88703

Captain Kangaroo

Apr 27, 2007
Alberta
Tenants are being hit with up to 400$ per month rent increases in Edmonton. For those of you from other parts of Canada who still don't understand how out of control prices in Alberta are. This increase was rejected by the Alberta government based on the fact that the tenants had just received an increase a week earlier. The Alberta government refused to bring in rent controls but limited rent increases to 1 per year regardless how high they may be. That means, landlords can raise your rent from 1100 for a 1 bedroom to 50,000 per month if they want to as long as they only do one increase per year. This is what we refer to as the Alberta Advantage!!! It's good there is lots of work around here because now most people need 2 jobs just to pay their rent.....I'm not kidding.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=a4af1ba1-db69-4924-8257-a9e8b878e1d2&k=88703

I do believe the Goverment is wrong in rejecting the second increase notice. Yes they recieved a notice earlier however the tenants were to disregard the previous notice so the fact is the tenants NEVER did actually have a rent increase. And also this announcement from Tuesday is not LAW yet, It still needs to go through the legislature. It will be retroactive to April 24 but if the tenats didnt have an increase in the past 12 months then it will be a valid increase notice

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Sounds like a huge boon for existing homeowners there that have an apartment and need extra income. But for those needing those apartments - ouch!

snfu73

disturber of the peace
We have been SO fortunate. We have great landlords who have not raised our rent once in the 4 years that we have lived here. We pay 750 per month for a two bedroom home with a huge yard. Even though far smaller homes in this area are being rented out, often at twice the price, our landlords have been great to us.

Anyway, I think the issue is that this economic boon isn't exactly working in everyones favour. The rich are getting richer...while the poor are getting poorer...and are having a harder time putting a roof over their heads. There has also been an increase in those without homes, and in areas like Fort MacMurray, people are living in cars, trailers, tents...wherever they can stay...and these are people making good money.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
If it continues like this Edmonton is going to become a city of young male transients. Why would families come here or even stay here when it is cheaper to live practically everywhere else? The only real drawing card for Edmonton in the past was a cheap cost of living. Well, we are now getting to be as expensive as Vancouver and rents are now more expensive than Vancouver. This city has the potential of being ruined by this Boom in the long term in my opinion.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
If it continues like this Edmonton is going to become a city of young male transients. Why would families come here or even stay here when it is cheaper to live practically everywhere else? The only real drawing card for Edmonton in the past was a cheap cost of living. Well, we are now getting to be as expensive as Vancouver and rents are now more expensive than Vancouver. This city has the potential of being ruined by this Boom in the long term in my opinion.
Agreed...this boom is NOT working for a majority of people. The rich are getting richer...and the poor poorer. I don't know how long it can continue like this.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds like a huge boon for existing homeowners there that have an apartment and need extra income. But for those needing those apartments - ouch!

Also sounds like "supply and demand". The thing that bothers me is trhat some people might be living close to the edge and a $400.00 per month increase might affectively be the same as an eviction notice. I would have thought the government would be aware of this. It's not as if everyone can go to the boss and get a raise to cover the increase in rent.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
My solution for housing prices has always been to raise property taxes and put the money into a better transit system. This allows people people to live further outside of the city and might make the prospect of being and absentee landowner less attractive. I think though that their should be rent control also. A property owner should not be able to raise the rent more then 6% per year. That all said I still think Alberta is a great place for a young person to start out and get established.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The landlord will never increase the apartment rent to more than a mortgage will cost because then people would by houses.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The landlord will never increase the apartment rent to more than a mortgage will cost because then people would by houses.

Maybe, bad credit might be a hindrance. Anyway, mortgage payments keep going up and up to. What the landlord pays on his/her mortgage would be less then what the tenant would have to pay if he/she decided to buy instead of rent.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Pangloss

Maybe if you would eat meat on a regular bases you could comprehend what I am saying.

Since you are in the film and stage industry and are exposed to gays on a regular bases I can see why you want to tear down my opinions because the gay population can be unforgiving and make your life miserable if it were seen that you were in agreement with me.

I know I am right and I know that as gay couples adopt more heterosexual children the problem will still exist.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Edmonton isn't the only area in Alberta with high rents. GP has 2 bedroom apartments that are listed for $1600/mo.

Hey Liberalman, who wears the boots, the sheep (so they can't kick the person) or the person (for obvious reasons)?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
S243a

I see that the price of houses rose dramatically in the Calgary area but this will not last long when the price of houses drop Calgary will lead in the free fall.

John Baird is bringing in an environment bill that makes the industries pay so the oil companies will scale back operations in Cold Lake
and the prices will come down.