As If We Needed More Proof. . .

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
That religion spawns intolerance and bigotry, hatred and closed-mindedness:

Five lesbian 'wives' flee Sharia

A Nigerian lesbian who "married" four women last weekend in Kano State has gone into hiding from the Islamic police, with her partners.

Under Sharia law, adopted in the state seven years ago, homosexuality and same-sex marriages are outlawed and considered very serious offences.

The theatre where the elaborate wedding celebration was held on Sunday has been demolished by Kano city's authorities.

Lesbianism is also illegal under Nigeria's national penal code.

Nigeria's parliament is considering tightening its laws on homosexuality.

'Unhealthy'

Kano's Hisbah board, which uses volunteers to enforce Islamic law, told the BBC that the women's marriage was "unacceptable".

As defenders of the Sharia laws, we shall not allow this unhealthy development to take root in the state
Malam Rabo Abdulkarim
Hisbah board

The BBC's Bala Ibrahim in Kano says Aunty Maiduguri and her four "wives" are thought to have gone into hiding the day after they married.

All five women were born Muslims, otherwise they would not be covered by Sharia law.
Islam says a man can take up to four wives if he is able to support them.

"As defenders of the Sharia laws, we shall not allow this unhealthy development to take root in the state," the Hisbah's Malam Rabo Abdulkarim told Nigeria's This Day newspaper.

Our correspondent says the theatre where the colourful wedding ceremony was held was flattened earlier this week.

Several reasons were given for the demolition, including the discovery that it was built on wrongly allocated land.

A Kano police spokesman told the BBC that his officers were not actively looking for the women, but would arrest them if need be.

The Hisbah group, which is run seperately from the police, receives state government support.

Two years ago, a Sharia court sentenced a man to six months in prison and fined him $38 for living as a woman for seven years in Kano.

Eleven other states in mostly Muslim northern Nigeria have adopted Sharia law.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/6599437.stm

Pangloss

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
interesting hypothetical scenario:

what if sharia law and modern law combined to allow the marriage of a man to two wives, and also allow the marriage of the two wives to each other.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

what if sharia law and modern law combined to allow the marriage of a man to two wives, and also allow the marriage of the two wives to each other.

I guess I'd say "who cares?"

As long as the marriages are freely entered into, and the spouses - no matter who, no matter how many - are free to leave, and dissolve the union, then who am I to say anything about it?

Pangloss

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

thats such a lemon twist lol herm.
Didn't they try to bring that in to Ontario law a while ago?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
El B:

Yes, I recall Ontario flirted with allowing Sharia. Bad idea, that one. Kind of goes against the "everybody subject to the same laws" principle.

Pangloss

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
El B:

Yes, I recall Ontario flirted with allowing Sharia. Bad idea, that one. Kind of goes against the "everybody subject to the same laws" principle.

Pangloss
I'm interested in that one seeming I've heard a whisper of it . I'm from Quebec and we have our own accomodation issues.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Thanks no that raises a few more questions
What is exactly Sharia law
And what consessions do Jews and Catholics have that is mentioned in that article?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, Ontario, with Toronto leading the rest of the province around by the nose, will see many attempts in the future by sharia trying to creep in the back door. When you impose diversity you also embrace its step children.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Yes, Ontario, with Toronto leading the rest of the province around by the nose, will see many attempts in the future by sharia trying to creep in the back door. When you impose diversity you also embrace its step children.
Huh?

More racist probing?

When you impose sameness you end up with a pretty boring society.

Oh...but you are so right, everyone should conform to one set way of being...that's much less facist. From now on everyone has to be like tamarin! Oh goody...a whole society of racist overgeneralizers who seldom support what they say.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
The theatre where the elaborate wedding celebration was held on Sunday has been demolished by Kano city's authorities.

They knew that what they were doing was illegal. Why then make an elaborate and showy celebration, when they could've gotten married quietly, and lived happily ever after, and no one would've known? It seems a little strange to me.

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
sharia

I see nothing wrong with people being different, but if this puts them in confict with their adopted country, then that makes them the party that is attempting to impose it's will on the majority. No doubt these same people would be incensed if the roles were reversed. In the case of the lesbians, I'm not sure I would want to flaunt the law when death is a common penalty for any infraction. Toronto has a large immigrant prescense, and I can't help but think it would make the city more interesting. Can't say much for the cuisine though, too many times I have walked through the halls of apartment buildings and nearly gagged at the cooking smells present.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I see nothing wrong with people being different, but if this puts them in confict with their adopted country, then that makes them the party that is attempting to impose it's will on the majority. No doubt these same people would be incensed if the roles were reversed. In the case of the lesbians, I'm not sure I would want to flaunt the law when death is a common penalty for any infraction. Toronto has a large immigrant prescense, and I can't help but think it would make the city more interesting. Can't say much for the cuisine though, too many times I have walked through the halls of apartment buildings and nearly gagged at the cooking smells present.
But...how are things supposed to evolve and change and progress if everyone is supposed to just sit in a corner and be told to shut up if they challenge the status quo?

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
Beats the hell out of me, but I can't imagine that people are really as hard nosed as they like to let on. If faced with a situation in public, most people have little or no opinion they wish to get across. Too many people are one person in cyberspace and someone entirely different in person. Doesn't make them lesser or greater, just semi normal.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
But in terms of this marriage...I mean, there appears to be an activist element to it. Some are suggesting that this is a bad thing and they should basically just shut up...but why? How is that going to bring about change? Rhetorical question...you don't have to answer.

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
I suppose if it is activist, then they took into account the fact that they could have their heads chopped off. Won't change much, but does eliminate the aches and pains of growing old. People often don't take into account the other persons opinion that some things are worth dying for.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I suppose if it is activist, then they took into account the fact that they could have their heads chopped off. Won't change much, but does eliminate the aches and pains of growing old. People often don't take into account the other persons opinion that some things are worth dying for.
Who knows what it can change. I mean, here we are on the other side of the planet chatting about this marriage. I bet they didn't even think that would happen.