Airships to tackle Caracas crime

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By James Ingham
BBC News, Caracas

There were a few strange looks skywards in Caracas as the new mini Zeppelin took to the skies.

Steered by remote control from the ground, the balloon ducked and dived above the buildings, its pilot showing how manoeuvrable the machine can be.

Presidential plan

The 15 metre (49 foot) long air ships are emblazoned with government slogans. Written in bright red are the words: "We watch over you for your security."

Some might worry that this will be intrusive - a big brother in the skies, spying on people the government wants to watch.

But the man in charge of security in Caracas, Ramon Morales Rossi, played down that idea.

Obviously I think this is the right thing to do. But we need as much security on the ground as in the air
Caracas resident
"Our intention is to reduce criminal activity in the city, that's a big problem, something the presidency has recognised," he said.

"It's part of a plan - working with the people, better education, better police officers and better equipment for the police."

Security, or the lack of it, is a big concern for many here. Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.

The government has stopped publishing crime figures, but last year the UN said that per capita there were more deaths from guns than anywhere else in the world.

Working under the gaze of the balloon, the people I spoke to backed this up.

"It's good that there's a greater police presence. It's indispensable. Where's there no police presence, there's no security," said one. "Obviously I think this is the right thing to do. But we need as much security on the ground as in the air."

The eyes in the sky will be controlled from a new base that is being kitted out in the city centre.

Most Caracas residents agree something needs to be done to make the city safer. As they are watched, they will be watching too to see if these hi-tech machines make any difference to their lives.

Story from BBC NEWS

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I have no qualms about cameras in public areas. If you have nothing to hide then whats the problem?
Downtown Sherbrooke, Wellington street they set up cameras with controversy. It was reported on Global National news. A couple of weeks pryer Julie Boisvenues was abducted on that very street and found dead 6 miles north. Having the cameras in place the crime would of been recorded, may have shorten the search, may have saved her life. Having police presence limited due to budget cuts , this is logical.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I have no qualms about cameras in public areas. If you have nothing to hide then whats the problem?
Downtown Sherbrooke, Wellington street they set up cameras with controversy. It was reported on Global National news. A couple of weeks pryer Julie Boisvenues was abducted on that very street and found dead 6 miles north. Having the cameras in place the crime would of been recorded, may have shorten the search, may have saved her life. Having police presence limited due to budget cuts , this is logical.
Yes, I think I would have to agree with you...

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

I'm sort of mixed. Like you, the idea in general doesn't bother me. I'm not doing anything illegal anyways. but on another level the idea of any government agency "watching" us mildly disturbs me. Not enough, I admit, to
give it a second thought though.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
what we should worry about is the abuse of this power. Given strict guide lines to what end this should be used.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I'm sort of mixed. Like you, the idea in general doesn't bother me. I'm not doing anything illegal anyways. but on another level the idea of any government agency "watching" us mildly disturbs me. Not enough, I admit, to
give it a second thought though.
I guess I might be more aware of the implications were I not a woman, but the more 'eye in the sky' surveilance makes me feel kinda safer.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
what we should worry about is the abuse of this power. Given strict guide lines to what end this should be used.

I agree. I suppose that is my only concern. Who is recording this information and what will they use it for? Their is that whole "big brother is watching" thing that could be a concern. But like Toronto, Windsor has some cameras installed in our downtown and it never bothers me a bit when I am downtown.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I guess I might be more aware of the implications were I not a woman, but the more 'eye in the sky' surveilance makes me feel kinda safer.

I understand that. I know there is a world of difference for men and women in terms of walking the streets. My wife and sisters, when out at night, are always very aware of their environment. Me, I'm oblivious to it.