Plymouth Fire and Rescue waits outside a house on Turner Street in which gas was spread throughout the first floor.
Times leader staff photo/aimee dilger
PLYMOUTH – A 22-year-old man was arrested after police said he doused his mother and a relative’s home with gasoline at 72 Turner St. just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Nahim Grady was later apprehended around 6 p.m. Wednesday on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre, police said.
Firefighters contained a fire inside the home after Grady locked his mother in a bedroom and ignited gasoline that he poured inside the residence just before 2 p.m.
Jamie Saunders, volunteer firefighter for Plymouth Hose Co. No. 2, said the fire was quickly extinguished. Grady’s mother was taken to a hospital for unspecified injuries, Saunders said.
Police and firefighters used a ladder to rescue several people from the second floor. Saunders said eight homes around 72 Turner St. were evacuated.