What do you call a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Dalmation?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What do you call a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Dalmation?

(Answer: A Bernation)

19th April 2007
Daily Mail

Whatever you call them, pups Arnie and Angel could be the first of a new breed.

Cath and Graham Wilson think they might have uncovered a new breed of dog after their Dalmation Tom mated with their seven-year-old Bernese Mountain Dog Cassie.

Cath and Graham, of Croston, Lancashire, have dubbed the two unlikely puppies Bernations.

Despite scouring the internet they've not found any evidence that the dogs exist elsewhere.

Proud Cath said: "They're the most beautiful puppies I've ever seen. The parents are the most opposite dogs you could ever think of.

"Tom the Dalmation is only a year old, very energetic and we thought he was too young to mate, whereas Cassie is getting on a bit and very laid back. She is seven and this is her first ever litter - and her last!"

Cassie gave birth to the two pups, a boy and a girl, last month. They were born with black bodies, white feet, white tips on their tails and black ears. In the last few days, their Dalmation spots have started coming through and their personalities are already as opposite as their parents.

"Arnie is not even a month old and he is already a big chunk, while Angel is very sweet," said Cath. "Every day people want to come and look at them and I've got about 250 of them waiting to visit." The Wilsons, both 48, run the local garage Drinkhouse Service Centre.

The proud parents

They admit that work has been hectic since the arrival of the 'Bermation' pups. "It's been a mad house," says Cath. "For the first two weeks I had to sleep downstairs on the settee with them because Cassie didn't know what had happened.

"Now she is great with them and Tom is being a good dad for a one-year-old, playing with them and licking them."

Cath says it had been a very traumatic time for the old Bernese Mountain Dog, who has a history of phantom pregancies, as she also gave birth to two more pups that sadly were still-born.

Cath and Graham used to breed Dalmations, but got Cassie specifically because she was completely different to the dogs they'd had before.

Withy Grove Veterinarian Michael Clarke said: "When you cross two breeds it doesn't automatically generate a new breed - that takes several generations of pure breeding resulting in the same each time - like the Labradoodle.

"But it should make a very good cross because Dalmations are bouncy and friendly and Bernese are placid and friendly too."

dailymail.co.uk

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm a husky fan. Our first dog was a runt my father got from the Inuit. We had a harness and he'd pull my brother and I on the tobbagin, though I don't really remember that. The last dog we had was a lab/husky mix. One blue eye and one brown eye. Probably the friendliest dog I've ever known.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I am happy with the two border collie/blue heeler xes that we have now. I prefer Malamutes over Siberians and Samoyeds, but those Japanese huskies are a nice critter. I like most dogs that are real dogs: tend to avoid the ankle-height, yappy, fur-covered lizards.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ditto on the real dogs. If it's small enough to be carried in a purse....like comparing a quarter horse or a morgan to a pony.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i wonder if they're deaf like dalmations. Maybe some back-crossing would give a dog like a dalmation but without the genetic defects?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I don't really like dogs that much, but these two little ones are simply adorable!