Intruder Leaves Maggots in Home

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
FORT MYERS, FL (AP) -- A Lee County woman wants to find out who broke into her house and dumped thousands of maggots on her floor while she and her family slept.

Mary Jo Uhler says she and her family spent more than a day cleaning their home, and they were still finding maggots. Uhler's daughter Kristina Smith says someone came through the sliding glass door early Sunday morning and dumped them.

Smith says the family had to throw out a sofa and chair, along with other personal possessions that were ruined. The damage could end up costing the family hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. The sheriff's office is investigating the break-in, but no arrests have been made.

Associated Press

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Was the sliding glass door unlocked? Perhaps some inebriated angler mistook their home for his, and on finding that he had entered the wrong home, beat a hasty retreat, forgetting to take his bait with him... Yeah, I know it's implausible, lol, but I can't think of a satisfactory reason for their home to have been invaded by maggots.

daddyholland

Apr 19, 2007
Was the sliding glass door unlocked? Perhaps some inebriated angler mistook their home for his, and on finding that he had entered the wrong home, beat a hasty retreat, forgetting to take his bait with him... Yeah, I know it's implausible, lol, but I can't think of a satisfactory reason for their home to have been invaded by maggots.
:angryfire: Unless the intruder was sending a message......:lol:

daddyholland

Apr 19, 2007
Hey, gives me an idea on how to "suggest" displeasure to certain neighbours of ours;-)
On second thought, they'd probably be too high to notice and they'd eat the maggots thinking it was rice on the floor:-(
*shudders* Too many dirty thoughts....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I wonder if there really was an intruder...it doesn't take very long for maggots to multiply if there is rotting food around.....I really have to wonder about that story.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Would they multiply that quickly though?
I doubt it sanctus... over here one buys maggots by the 'pint,' which probably amounts to a couple of thousand. There's no telling, if my scenario is plausible, how much the angler originally had.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I doubt it sanctus... over here one buys maggots by the 'pint,' which probably amounts to a couple of thousand. There's no telling, if my scenario is plausible, how much the angler originally had.

One morning a few years ago my wife took out a pot roast for our dinner that day. To make a long story short, we had a few errands planned before a day trip to Victoria and for some reason the pot roast never got into the slow cooker or put back in the fridge. On top of everything else, we left a window open. Anyway, we decided to stay overnight and got back about a day and a half later and the roast was absolutely crawling with maggots. More than a pint I'm sure.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
One morning a few years ago my wife took out a pot roast for our dinner that day. To make a long story short, we had a few errands planned before a day trip to Victoria and for some reason the pot roast never got into the slow cooker or put back in the fridge. On top of everything else, we left a window open. Anyway, we decided to stay overnight and got back about a day and a half later and the roast was absolutely crawling with maggots. More than a pint I'm sure.
Gosh... if your wife is anything like me yuan, it would have been a good few months before she could look at a pot roast again, lol.
Yes, the OP narrates a strange sequence of events... We can only hypothesize how the maggots came to be there. :-?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Those potroast fattened maggots would have I believe have been better to eat than the potroast, of course there's a little convention to overcome but once you're over that there's a new world of culinary magic and discovery ahead of you. We are way to fussy about what we will or will not eat, that's going to change.:smile:

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Those potroast fattened maggots would have I believe have been better to eat than the potroast, of course there's a little convention to overcome but once you're over that there's a new world of culinary magic and discovery ahead of you.
I don't doubt that you may be right in what you say db... though I feel that 'a little convention to overcome,' may be erring on the optimistic. lol
darkbeaver said:
We are way to fussy about what we will or will not eat, that's going to change.:smile:
I sincerely hope that you er... err in this respect also!. 8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Maggots are HANDY little critters. I've seen them used for food, medical purposes, and unfortunately, we had to leave them to their devices to clean up the remains of an unfortunate barn fire. No amount of deisel satisfactorily burns up dead cows BTW. Maggots to the rescue.

I'd just never thought of using them to piss off a neighbor before. Ha!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Those potroast fattened maggots would have I believe have been better to eat than the potroast, of course there's a little convention to overcome but once you're over that there's a new world of culinary magic and discovery ahead of you. We are way to fussy about what we will or will not eat, that's going to change.:smile:

These were nice, big, fat, ones. Maybe if they were breaded and deep fried they would be good. I'll cook them if you will eat them...;-):p

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
These were nice, big, fat, ones. Maybe if they were breaded and deep fried they would be good. I'll cook them if you will eat them...;-):p

Maggots work great in a stir fry, replace rice with steaming bowl of maggots...mmmm

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maggots work great in a stir fry, replace rice with steaming bowl of maggots...mmmm

Num num..........................not.

I've heard that maggots are very high in protein but if it ever becomes necessary to eat maggots, I will need to be very, very hungry...........:x:roll::smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Supposedly, from my textbook on psych, Europeans and North Americans are the only cultures on earth that so adamantly refuse to use insects as a source of protein. Every other culture on the planet will use them to some degree, or is willing to use them if they don't currently.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I personally could not eat any sort of insect, the thought of doing so makes me gag. Beef and chicken for me:)

daddyholland

Apr 19, 2007
ummmmm....

ahh grasshopper! Delicious......:pukeright:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It seems to me if someone were to intentionally gather up thousands of maggots, transport them to some house and then dump them on the floor of someone elses house, almost too elaborate. Maggots stink too. I'd be pretty pissed.