Shooting at Virginia Tech

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
What a horrible event, they say 21 dead. What city is this school in? Apparently there were 2 shooting at the same school.
My heart goes out to the families.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This is horrible, following as we speak, on CNN, the two schools were quite a distance apart,
first shooting was 2 hrs. earlier than second.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Un-freaking-believable. Those poor students, those poor families.
Some poor mother is going to get a call today, telling her that not only is her child dead, but that he (I'm assuming) killed 20 other people first. How tragic. I just can't even imagine the pain that will be sweeping over that whole area by now.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Boy, things have really accelerated then. I was watching CNN just a couple of hours ago. They weren't sure anyone was dead.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
22 dead and more than 20 injured, at Virginia Tech. Bloody horrible day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't suppose this would be an argument for gun control..................probably a better argument for retroactive birth control.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
another sad day to add to the growing list of mass shooting tragedies... my thoughts as well go out to the families who are, as we sit and type, receiving phone calls or desperately waiting word of their children...:-(

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/?GT1=9246

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed.“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. “The university is shocked and indeed horrified.”
The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.
var fl=new flashObj2();fl.ID = "fl_audio_VaTech_shooting_070416";fl.flashFile = "http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Interactives/Tools/audio_gallery.swf?dataID=audio_VaTech_shooting_070416"; fl.width = 320; fl.height = 200; fl.play = "true"; fl.scale = "noScale"; fl.bgcolor = "#f3f3f6"; fl.flashVer = "7"; fl.cabVersion = "7,0,0,0"; fl.write(); http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/C...ech_shooting_070416&domain=www.msnbc.msn.com&
Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, said Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.
The name of the gunman was not released. It was not known if he was a student.
NBC's Pete Williams said two law enforcement officials told him the gunman killed himself. They also said the gunman used two 9-mm handguns during the rampage, Williams reported. He said the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was trying to track the weapons.
Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.
After Monday’s shootings at Virginia Tech, all entrances to the campus were closed.
The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.
After the shootings, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.
“There’s just a lot of commotion. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on,” said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.
Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode’s resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.
“They had us under lockdown,” Kanode said. “They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again.”
“We’re all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what’s going on,” Kanode said.
Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, “We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible.”
Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks but they had not determined a link to the shootings.
It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.
In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff’s deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.
The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
It seems since Columbine and all the Attention it recieved, this has become the growing trend as copycat disgruntled stundents and wackos in general have now seen this as the way to get at all that is wrong in their lives. I can't help but think that if the media attention had not of been there would all the follow up events have happened? and will armed guards become as a result an everyday part of school life? All that aside may all those affected by such a senseless event find peace, there will never be enough tears for their loss.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The death toll is now up to thirty two.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Thirty-two people, many of them students, were killed by a gunman at Virginia Tech university on Monday, Fox News reported.
"We are now getting reports that it is 32," a Fox News announcer said. The television station quoted "Fed sources" for the latest toll. Earlier police had said more than 20 had died, including the gunman

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What I can't understand here is, after the first shooting in the morning, what on earth were people doing in classrooms two hours later? I would think that after something like that the campus would be shutdown...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Our society is sick. It's as simple as that. Society was meant to be a benefit to its citizens. It isn't doing that any more, and instead it has its citizens serving it and this causes events like this where people cannot cope with societal ailments.