Food companies take aim at healthier kids

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
In an attempt to quell rising childhood obesity rates in Canada, a group of food companies said Monday they would use half of their advertising to promote healthy eating and active living among children.

More...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
On top of the 50% advertising for healthy foods, maybe they should try to bring the number of healthy choice products closer to 50% as well. Regardless more advertising for healthy choice products is a step in the right direction.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My son is a prime example of an advertising sponge. As we drive along, he can see signs for businesses, and recite their slogans and campaigns. I am a tv fan, but his recitations have hit the point that we were discussing having the tv disconnected.

When he was younger, channels like TreeHouse were ideal, since their ads are very minimal, and usually balanced out with little shows on eating healthy, staying active, etc. But, now that he's older, TreeHouse is a bit below him, and the older channels are swarming with ads for HotWheels, Transformers, and a million other products.

Even though he's a slim, active little kid and I don't worry about unhealthy food adverts impacting him, since I still do the shopping and refuse to buy junk, I like the idea that he might have some slogans and jingles running through that little head of his that are health based.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
companies spend billions on avdvertising... halve that and they are making an even bigger fortune...'specialy if the products price they are/were advertising, stayed the same

just my thorts

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think the problem is with parents like you Karrie. I think it is parents who might cave to the demands of the youngins. I know when my brother and I went grocery shopping with our mother, we would try to get all sorts of junk food, but it never worked. She would buy some crappy stuff like fruit roll-ups, but the majority of the food we ate growing up was fruit. Makes a good snack;)

Oh yah, we would try to sneak junk into the cart too, but Mom was like a hawk, if she didn't notice in the aisles she did at the checkout.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
companies spend billions on avdvertising... halve that and they are making an even bigger fortune...'specialy if the products price they are/were advertising, stayed the same

just my thorts

You might want to re-read that. They are halving their advertising budget, to spend the other half on healthy lifestyle initiatives. 50%+50%= 100%. They're not putting out less money, just changing what they spend it on.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
You might want to re-read that. They are halving their advertising budget, to spend the other half on healthy lifestyle initiatives. 50%+50%= 100%. They're not putting out less money, just changing what they spend it on.

awww, shame, stretch. No conspiracy