Liberals agree not to run candidate against Green leader

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The Liberal party won't run a candidate against Green party Leader Elizabeth May in the next federal election, the first time the Liberals won't have a full slate of candidates.

More...

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
no, they just want to see McKay kicked out of his riding, and by not running in his riding, it gives a better chance to May.

What the heck though, is all this talks about running, and election.

FYI: No election has been called!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
lol, right on Toro.

Your obviously Canadian if your on CanCon, can you vote in our elections from Florida?

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
May just proves that she and the entire Green party are not serious about representation in the house of commons.

She could have camapigned in a half dozen ridings in BC and won, making her the first green party candidate in Canada but instead she teams up with Dion which deminishes her credibility.

Mackay will win handily as he always does in his riding (his family has very deep ties in the community) and May along with her Green party will dissolve into obscurity yet again.

What an absolute joke.

Dion is no better for going along with this hair brained scheme.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Dion has just decided two things:

One, he is lord and emperor of the Liberal Party, and the local riding associations are meaningless.
Two, the Liberal Party is no longer the Liberal Party of Canada, since they have decided to not represent all of the country.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Dion has just decided two things:

One, he is lord and emperor of the Liberal Party, and the local riding associations are meaningless.
Two, the Liberal Party is no longer the Liberal Party of Canada, since they have decided to not represent all of the country.

I believe that there will be some backlash due to this.

I can't wait to see the spin the other party's will put on this.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Dion is making sure May doesn't get a seat.

MacKay won by 3273 votes last time. The Greens got 671. There's 10349 votes up for grabs. If it was New Brunswick maybe MacKay wouldn't have to worry since its got a lot of military with interests in Afghanistan to rationalize, but we're talking Nova Scotia. They're still reeling from the Highland Clearances.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
There's a bit more to this story in case you guys missed it.

The Greens won't be running a candidate in Dion's riding as part of the deal.

Just when you think Dion couldn't be more unappealing he does this.:roll:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...Just when you think Dion couldn't be more unappealing he does this.:roll:

That's funny, because I think dropping a dark horse for an odds-on at giving Harper's successor the boot and looking like a gentleman in the process is fricking brilliant.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's funny, because I think dropping a dark horse for an odds-on at giving Harper's successor the boot and looking like a gentleman in the process is fricking brilliant.

Let's see:
Odds-on? Mackay is likely to win unless his father runs for the Liberals. May has pretty much no chance of winning.
Harper's successor? Mackay is unlikely to be Harper's successor
A gentleman? Dion looks like a dicatorial twit instead of a gentleman

Brilliant? If you want to lose credibility, sure.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I admit, when I found out Dion was selected as the new leader of the liberals, I was impressed. I thought it was great that someone who seemed so keen on environmental issues would be leading that party. But now he seems like a one trick pony only. His leadership is haphazard and lacks the cohesion needed for that party to do anything. Increasingly he's moving away from the juicy center of politics and that's no good for his party.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Let's see:
Odds-on? Mackay is likely to win unless his father runs for the Liberals. May has pretty much no chance of winning.
Harper's successor? Mackay is unlikely to be Harper's successor
A gentleman? Dion looks like a dicatorial twit instead of a gentleman

Brilliant? If you want to lose credibility, sure.

check the numbers, TP. MacKay won by 3k in a three way race that gave him less than a majority of the votes. Now 10k are up for grabs. You might want to figure in the likelihood that the CPC-Lib swing already played out in the last election.

I hope he's as complacent about it as you are but I doubt very much the old PC backbenchers are going to let him ride this out without finding out how much juice he has left in the glass.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
check the numbers, TP. MacKay won by 3k in a three way race that gave him less than a majority of the votes. Now 10k are up for grabs. You might want to figure in the likelihood that the CPC-Lib swing already played out in the last election.

You're just spinning the numbers.

Yes, there are 10,000 votes up for grab but only half of them vote which brings the number down to 5,000. Which makes his 3,000 much more formidable. The Liberal candidate was a distant third in that riding. This time May will be the distant third behind the C's and the NDP.

Thus ensuring the greens will not be in a position to win a seat for another 5 years. May and Dion have single handedly landed a huge blow to the environmental movement in Canada. Ahhhh, the irony.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I hope he's as complacent about it as you are but I doubt very much the old PC backbenchers are going to let him ride this out without finding out how much juice he has left in the glass.

How much time have you spent in the riding? How many of those Liberal votes do you think will go to Elizabeth May?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
You're just spinning the numbers.

Yes, there are 10,000 votes up for grab but only half of them vote which brings the number down to 5,000. Which makes his 3,000 much more formidable. The Liberal candidate was a distant third in that riding. This time May will be the distant third behind the C's and the NDP...

:roll:

the pot calls the kettle black.

Peter G. MacKay CON 17134 40.66% X
Alexis MacDonald NDP 13861 32.89%
Dan Walsh LIB 10349 24.56%
David Orton GRN 671 1.59%
Allan H. Bezanson ML 124 0.29%

anything else you want to pull out of your ass while everyone's watching?

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
It would be historic for the greens to win just as the PQ seems to be in decline, and conservatives may be gaining token support.

Although it seems not very likely that such a merger would happen as between the PC and Alliance, if people voted for a consolidated Green Liberal Party, and both groups voters voted for them, The Christmas Party? Throw the Marijuana party in too and legalize pot why don't ja?

The conservatives do appear to be a growing force and only such tactics, that didn't loose party supports, in a 'major party' akinness, would likely be possible.

It doesn't seem likely but it's what they need to do to promote their agenda. It'd be nice if the NDP jumped on the bandwagon, but McKay loosing his seat would be a pretty big blow for the Conservatives none the less. It would be a historic BiElection. If they pulled it off, I think McKay may end up in a riding in the upcoming Quebec BiElections.. but no idea..

The analysts say its an imposibility. Too bad party funds couldn't move a few thousand people to that community in time for the BiElection. Thats what the greens need to do though, set up a hippy village to get a seat.