Canadian Forces expected to renew aging fleet of tanks

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The Canadian Forces is set to announce plans on Thursday to beef up its fleet of aging tanks with newer Leopard tanks purchased from NATO allies.

More...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully these "newer" tanks are of better quality then the "newer" subs we bought from Britain a few years back.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think they need to replace the Leopards with a current model because the heat is so intense inside the tanks. The current model has no air conditioning and in the dessert sun they get very warm. They would have to restrict operations with the current tanks to dawn/dusk hours.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We have tanks? What, 2? 3?
The Leopard is a very formidable machine and, in some ways, better than the Abrams. Hopefully these won't be someone's lemons they're trying to get rid of.

Actually, we have about a hundred and fifty leopard tanks. We only have about seventeen in Afghanistan.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Leopard is a very formidable machine and, in some ways, better than the Abrams. Hopefully these won't be someone's lemons they're trying to get rid of.

Well there are different versions of the Leopard tank so you would have to find out what type they are giving you before you know if you are getting an old lemon.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well there are different versions of the Leopard tank so you would have to find out what type they are giving you before you know if you are getting an old lemon.

According to the article, they are "newer" leopards. So that could be vintage 1978 I suppose.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
O'Connor is giving a press conference right now, we're going to lease 20 Leopard2 tanks from Germany to be in theater by this summer and purchase 100 Leopard2 tanks from the Netherlands to be delivered by the Fall.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That is a pretty good observation. The fact that they used "newer" as opposed to "new".

The goverment talks like a used car salesmen now.... They know better then to refer to their purchases as "used", those subs we bought have left a bitter memory I think.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I still say we find a Taliban stronghold, fill the subs with explosives and drop them on top of the base.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON

well said well said, i hope canada doesn't make that mistake again. I heard about this new addition on cbc this morning. some are saying theres no point when we have the US right beside us. Honestly i think it would benefit our military and our nation by strengthing our military "fire power".